_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tariffs
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 10:10 AM UTC
I am curious as to if Models will be part of the Tariffs on Chinese goods and if so what will the effect be?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 11:35 AM UTC
If tarifs are imposed on plastic models from China the net effect will be the same as a tax increase levied on American consumers.
If there will be tarifs the American model builder can either pay the increased cost or spend his/her cash on something else.
I don't think tarifs will do much to boost the domestic plastic model industry so it is purely a tax increase.
/ Robin
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 11:57 AM UTC
Model kits are a fly spec compared to electronics. As Robin says, IF they add a tariff to models we'll either pay the added cost, or get something else.

I sold a Jeep that went to Japan some years ago, and the import tax was 30%. About that time the Japanese car manufacturers were bitterly complaining that the US wanted to increase the import tax on Japanese cars to something like 3%. Can you imagine the howling if there was a 30% tax!

Things are going to get interesting, or depressing.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 12:02 PM UTC
What... This can't be. The BOSS said the Chinese were going to pay. He couldn't be wrong! He would not mislead us...
Sorry, off topic. I grumble at the thought of 4 OR 5 dollars added to the cost of a kit for no apparent gain.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What... This can't be. The BOSS said the Chinese were going to pay. He couldn't be wrong! He would not mislead us...
Sorry, off topic.

The Liar in chief did what he allways does (LIE)
Deanwormer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 01:03 PM UTC
You really shouldn’t comment on concepts that are far above your intellectual abilities.

If you are so blindered by derangement syndrome that you cannot grasp what China has done to the world economy. Then please excuse yourself and go eat your tapioca.

There are other countries that produce models. Enrich your shriveled mind and find out who they are.

I’m out.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 01:11 PM UTC
?
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 01:29 PM UTC
Without getting political, plastic model kit manufacturing is not a large enough domestic industry to warrant a tariff to protect (I can't think of a single American model kit manufacturer that makes it's products here, or anywhere for that matter)

I think it's safe to say that Modeling isn't going to suffer much if/ when a tariff goes I to affect.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

?

Don’t worry Greg. The post said it all about the poster. I am continually amazed by the increasing amount of rancor and personal attacks here on Armorama. I doubt these attacks would occur face to face. Seems like the internet is stripping us if our civility. I posed this exact same question a year ago. The answer I received at that time was no, it wasn’t likely, “model kits were to far down the chain”. Well this is now the end of the chain. Folks don’t realize kits are not imported by distributors by the box, but by the container load. And as for those other “countries” out there? They are now free to take advantage of higher tariffs on Chinese producers, and will no doubt raise prices too— they won’t give their stuff away for free. I can’t see how it cannot eventually affect us (and others). Take a look on any box side, and you’ll see the “made in China” label— even on Revell Germany boxing’s, or Airfix boxings, etc. a large share of the modeling world’s tooling and plastic comes from China.
VR, Russ
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 02:06 PM UTC
Perhaps one needs to look at imported model kits and stuff as being two different populations, in terms of tariffs and taxes?

One set are those piles of kits and stuff which DO arrive here in the US in "container loads" - destined for distributors, warehouses, wholesalers, and eventually sold to retailers (e or brick), who sell to YOU.

The other set are those individual kits and packets that folks buy from Chinese vendors, who ship these goods to you via the post or other carriers. NOT by any "container load" to one destination (they DO travel here in containers - to a stateside PO or carrier depot, to be routed on to the buyer location).

Tariffs can be levied onto the first set pretty easily. The stuff comes as a pile from one company, destined as a pile to another here in the states. There's an invoice with a quantity cost, etc. Customs will read this and figure the tariff and apply it to the shipment.

The individual case is much more complex for Customs. Yes, they CAN hold each package and call YOU up for the applicable tariff - which must be calc'd based on the declared value of those goods in that package. The clever Chinese vendor can simply sell you his goods at a small price and charge you a lot for shipping. This is probably a complicated can of worms for the customs guys.

Cheers! Bob
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps one needs to look at imported model kits and stuff as being two different populations, in terms of tariffs and taxes?

One set are those piles of kits and stuff which DO arrive here in the US in "container loads" - destined for distributors, warehouses, wholesalers, and eventually sold to retailers (e or brick), who sell to YOU.

The other set are those individual kits and packets that folks buy from Chinese vendors, who ship these goods to you via the post or other carriers. NOT by any "container load" to one destination (they DO travel here in containers - to a stateside PO or carrier depot, to be routed on to the buyer location).

Tariffs can be levied onto the first set pretty easily. The stuff comes as a pile from one company, destined as a pile to another here in the states. There's an invoice with a quantity cost, etc. Customs will read this and figure the tariff and apply it to the shipment.

The individual case is much more complex for Customs. Yes, they CAN hold each package and call YOU up for the applicable tariff - which must be calc'd based on the declared value of those goods in that package. The clever Chinese vendor can simply sell you his goods at a small price and charge you a lot for shipping. This is probably a complicated can of worms for the customs guys.

Cheers! Bob

The collection agency for stuff with duty that is mailed to you is the USPS. I don't think they will ship UPS or fedex when the American taxpayer is subsidizing the postal rates for developing conutries. China is on that list.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 02:20 PM UTC
Russ those were my thoughts. I have seen where something like this became a reason why not only the affected item increased but all similar items were increased a similar amount. Partly for increased costs and partly for profit taking. Time will tell.
Deanwormer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 02:39 PM UTC
My apologies that the reply was not directed specifically.

For the record, if the statements that preceded my reply had been made in my presence, a similar exchange would have occurred. A question was asked, an answer proffered, and then the TDS began.

China has been a bad actor on the economic stage since day 1. A course correction in trade and monetary policy has been needed for years. But do you think for a minute the Bushes, Clinton’s or Obama could get their snouts out of the trough long enough to do what is right?

Yeah, this may hurt a little. Hell, it may hurt a lot. But our hobby has many more producers than the Chicoms.

If you’re that concerned, and hobby doom is breathing down your neck, have the guts to start your own model manafacturing company. How hard can it be? The Chicoms grow them like weeds.

And please don’t say this president is a liar. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN LIARS!

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The collection agency for stuff with duty that is mailed to you is the USPS. I don't think they will ship UPS or fedex when the American taxpayer is subsidizing the postal rates for developing conutries. China is on that list.

If my past experience is any measure... Customs can and will hold stuff pending payment of tariffs. But who holds the goods - Customs, the USPS, whomever - isn't the point. Us buyers WILL end up paying some tariff on kits eventually. Basically, models are now on the tariff list - they are "toys", and toys are on the current list.

The sad part is that local hobby wholesalers and retailers are caught - and stuff going by the crate to distributors will get a tariff charged. And this will pass to the retailers, who need to pass it on to you. So, EXPECT kits made in China to go UP in price. And expect more brick-n-mortar hobby stores to fold.

Tariffs are NEVER good for retailers, nor for buyers / consumers. The result is always that prices go UP. This have been borne out in every case throughout history. In the case of the plastic model hobby, tariffs will simply raise our costs.

For ALL models and related, likely. Retailers will try to restrain the 25% increase being levied on Chinese goods - which will become much less viable in their stores if raised the mandated 25% - by raising other goods in price to cover their tariff outlay while NOT raising prices the whole 25% on the ever-so-popular Chinese kits. NOBODY wins. Unless you can afford the hikes and don't mind paying more, your buying will be reduced. Means that the LHS will make fewer sales on average. NOBODY WINS.

The tariffs are allegedly aimed at pressuring China to change some aspects of how it does business with us. I can't fault the WH for trying to fix some of these standing issues. But tariffs are not actually the seeming best tool to push this quest along. What IS GUARANTEED is that all lower and middle (economic) class Americans will simply suffer some price inflation - and because many of the basic consumer goods in America are Chinese... this impact could be quite substantial.

May I suggest that each of us / you try actually figuring out what YOUR cost will be from this game? EVERY Chinese good that you will buy is likely to go up 25% in price (or other, non-Chinese goods will go up some so that stores can keep price-hikes on Chinese goods down some). Some of you likely buy a fair amount of made-in-China stuff on a week-to-week or monthly basis. So figure it out! And then, once YOU can estimate the cost... Ask yourself whether that cost or lost buying-power was worth whatever YOU think that we will actually "win" from this tiff.

No. The tariffs won't likely get YOU a new job with more pay. YES, it may drive some stores out of business. YES, it WILL impact your stock portfolio and IRA investments.

And YES, expect our hobby to get more expensive!

Cheers! Bob
Deanwormer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If my past experience is any measure... Customs can and will hold stuff pending payment of tariffs. But who holds the goods - Customs, the USPS, whomever - isn't the point. Us buyers WILL end up paying some tariff on kits eventually. Basically, models are now on the tariff list - they are "toys", and toys are on the current list.

The sad part is that local hobby wholesalers and retailers are caught - and stuff going by the crate to distributors will get a tariff charged. And this will pass to the retailers, who need to pass it on to you. So, EXPECT kits made in China to go UP in price. And expect more brick-n-mortar hobby stores to fold.

Tariffs are NEVER good for retailers, nor for buyers / consumers. The result is always that prices go UP. This have been borne out in every case throughout history. In the case of the plastic model hobby, tariffs will simply raise our costs.

For ALL models and related, likely. Retailers will try to restrain the 25% increase being levied on Chinese goods - which will become much less viable in their stores if raised the mandated 25% - by raising other goods in price to cover their tariff outlay while NOT raising prices the whole 25% on the ever-so-popular Chinese kits. NOBODY wins. Unless you can afford the hikes and don't mind paying more, your buying will be reduced. Means that the LHS will make fewer sales on average. NOBODY WINS.

The tariffs are allegedly aimed at pressuring China to change some aspects of how it does business with us. I can't fault the WH for trying to fix some of these standing issues. But tariffs are not actually the seeming best tool to push this quest along. What IS GUARANTEED is that all lower and middle (economic) class Americans will simply suffer some price inflation - and because many of the basic consumer goods in America are Chinese... this impact could be quite substantial.

May I suggest that each of us / you try actually figuring out what YOUR cost will be from this game? EVERY Chinese good that you will buy is likely to go up 25% in price (or other, non-Chinese goods will go up some so that stores can keep price-hikes on Chinese goods down some). Some of you likely buy a fair amount of made-in-China stuff on a week-to-week or monthly basis. So figure it out! And then, once YOU can estimate the cost... Ask yourself whether that cost or lost buying-power was worth whatever YOU think that we will actually "win" from this tiff.

No. The tariffs won't likely get YOU a new job with more pay. YES, it may drive some stores out of business. YES, it WILL impact your stock portfolio and IRA investments.

Cheers! Bob

Wow Bob you must need to buy new models like some of us buy milk, bread and tater chips.

First off, I can retire with the kits I have now. If you need a couple let me know, I’ll let them go cheaper than the Chicoms.

Retailers always have the option of not stocking Chinese made goods. If any brick and mortar closes due the the tariffs, they had other issues entirely unrelated to importing model kits.

Nobody is arguing that a trade war is a good thing, but nothing China makes can’t be got anywhere else, and likely of better quality. So if I have to pay $5 more for sheet rock that isn’t laced with poison, I think I’ll handle that. I think most Americans will bite the bullet once they realize - if the hyperbole dissipates - that China has robbed us blind for years. Pocketed our politicians and CEOs and stolen everything that hasn’t been nailed down since Nixon visited Beijing.

Fact of the matter is this economy is roaring and this trade war isn’t going to stop that. If we lose a Walmart or three... life goes on. Same as it did when Walmart put dozens of other retailers out of business.

This tariff situation is not about punishing the Chicoms, it to try and stem their punishment of our economy. Trump is asking for nothing from them that our other trade partners don’t already give - without manipulating their currency everyday.

Sorry Bob, but your hyperbole is more whiny and moaning. Your TDS is showing.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers! Bob

Swedish customs check almost every package that comes from China .....
The cost for me is composed of two parts:
1. A handling fee which is always (I think) 75 SEK or roughly
8 US $
2. The VAT (sales tax) which depends on the value of the package.

For low value items the handling fee will be very large in proportion to the value of the package. By buing larger quantities the handling fee gets "diluted".

/ Robin
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers! Bob

Wow Bob you must need to buy new models like some of us buy milk, bread and tater chips.

First off, I can retire with the kits I have now. If you need a couple let me know, I’ll let them go cheaper than the Chicoms.

Retailers always have the option of not stocking Chinese made goods. If any brick and mortar closes due the the tariffs, they had other issues entirely unrelated to importing model kits.

Nobody is arguing that a trade war is a good thing, but nothing China makes can’t be got anywhere else, and likely of better quality. So if I have to pay $5 more for sheet rock that isn’t laced with poison, I think I’ll handle that. I think most Americans will bite the bullet once they realize - if the hyperbole dissipates - that China has robbed us blind for years. Pocketed our politicians and CEOs and stolen everything that hasn’t been nailed down since Nixon visited Beijing.

Fact of the matter is this economy is roaring and this trade war isn’t going to stop that. If we lose a Walmart or three... life goes on. Same as it did when Walmart put dozens of other retailers out of business.

This tariff situation is not about punishing the Chicoms, it to try and stem their punishment of our economy. Trump is asking for nothing from them that our other trade partners don’t already give - without manipulating their currency everyday.

Sorry Bob, but your hyperbole is more whiny and moaning. Your TDS is showing.

Wow, Kip! Boy, did you come out sounding like someone somehow dissed you or spat in your drink! Calm, friend! This thread is about what folks THINK may happen in or to our hobby regarding the tariffs imposed on Chinese goods. I's NOT the forum for attacking others because you happen to disagree with what they said.

Let's see... What, exactly, do YOU find at all "hyperbolic" in what I said? Do you, for instance, not believe that tariffs will raise prices for Chinese-made goods here in the US? Ask Walmart. They already raised their alarm about this (check out their commentary in the news today and read a few financially-oriented commentaries on this subject). It's a given that prices WILL GO UP. NOT any sort of hyperbole, friend, just cold fact.

Do YOU not believe that hobby stores / retailers in the US, currently HUGELY based on selling CHINESE stuff, won't be impacted? Not hyperbole. Just plain fact.

Do YOU believe that the lower and middle-class folks in the US won't actually simply PAY MORE for the stuff that they buy due to these tariffs? Not hyperbole. Just plain fact. No way to AVOID THIS, friend.

Do YOU believe that tariffs are actually somehow GOOD for retailers who are trying to sell those tariff-laden goods?

If YOU think any of these questions or concepts are "hyperbolic", perhaps, instead of attacking someone and shrilling about your "understanding" of the reasoning politicians behind the tariffs and trade-war follow, YOU might offer some half-cogent rebuttal to any or all of these actual stated points.

I personally don't require anyone, not even a rather shrill and empty-headed, ignorant-sounding Trump-defender such as you sell yourself to be, agree with anything I might say.

I DO, however, expect a modicum of polite CIVILITY, friend. To do anything else - such as you have already done - is to make yourself sound pretty darned ignorant and stupid. And certainly intolerant of other's view-points.

Let me end with address of your "points":

1) No, friend, I neither buy much nor NEED ANY MORE model stuff. My stash is pretty replete. And I don't worry about the cost of either kits or sheet-rock.

2) No, the "economy" is NOT "roaring along". Don't begin to say that as if it were some clearly-demonstrated "fact". It is NOT. It is YOUR OPINION that it may be doing so. Other, rather knowledgeable folks are much less sanguine about the current and future state of the US economy. Try saying that your OPINION is exactly that; YOUR OPINION. And nothing more. To do so might encourage others to respect you and your opinion. My OPINION is that "protectionism" in the market-place is, at best, a deceit and a rip-off perpetrated by politicians to benefit a few of their friends at the cost of many. Nothing lofty nor noble about starting trade-wars.

3) There are plenty of modelers who actually WANT those kits and AM stuff made in China. Chinese kits dominate the US model hobby. (They assuredly dominate my stash!) To suggest that those buyers can or should simply switch to other kits of OTHER SUBJECTS from other sources is, at best, callous and incredibly naive. Maybe you are one of those who tell less-wealthy folks in grocery stores to simply go buy other, cheaper foods AND BE HAPPY WITH YOUR OPTIONS when they are priced out of all the "good stuff"!

4) Contrary to your disrespectful assertions, I am in no way "whining" or "moaning". To point out what will likely happen in the given scenario is NEVER remotely "whining and moaning". It is stating what I THINK is likely to happen. Don't like what I say? Just say so and skip the ad-hominem crap. It makes you sound distinctly un-intelligent, friend.

Frankly, Kip, you sound like you have swallowed something rotten. Just spit it up and go drink some water, friend. A friendly piece of advice: Skip the angry bluster and defensive BS. If YOU think retailers won't be impacted, buyers won't be impacted, etc., just SAY SO, and skip the personal attacks. Friend.

Cheers! Bob
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 06:59 PM UTC
You can ALL thank past administrations and both Houses of Congress for creating this pickle that the American citizens find themselves in today- CHINA has been trampling all over the United States since 1949...
mudcake
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... CHINA has been trampling all over the United States since 1949...

Didn't the western powers do the same to China in the 1800s?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can ALL thank past administrations and both Houses of Congress for creating this pickle that the American citizens find themselves in today- CHINA has been trampling all over the United States since 1949...

That's the way the economy works. The deal goes to the lowest bidder. When the Chinese starts earning more and raising their wages their products will become more expensive.
Some manufacturing is moving within China to areas where the wages are lower, some manufacturing has moved to other countries since China has become too expensive. When I was a kid the cheap toys would be labeled 'Made in Hong Kong'. Now it is 'Made in China' since Hong Kong has become too expensive. In another 10 or 20 years it might be labeled as 'Made in some other low cost country'.

The cost of imported goods can be forced upwards by tariffs or by changes in the exchange rates of currencies.
If the Swedish krona (SEK) drops compared to Euro and US $ the stuff we import will become more expensive (price increase without tariffs) and the stuff we export will become cheaper for others to import (we charge the same amount in SEK but the customers needs less US $ to buy those SEK).
Tariffs only make imported goods more expensive (hurts the domestic economy) but it doesn't give the export boost that a changed exchanged rate provides.
Silly little Sweden tried to maintain a fixed exchange rate until we learned (the hard way) that this wasn't going to work so now our currency is floating (actually it is slowly sinking). Imported kits are slowly getting more expensive but the steel we sell to the US is getting cheaper for American companies.
As long as the US $ is relatively strong on the exchange markets there will be problems with trade deficits. Imported goods will be cheap and the exports from the US will be relatively expensive and face a tough market.

/ Robin
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... CHINA has been trampling all over the United States since 1949...

Didn't the western powers do the same to China in the 1800s?

Oh yes! We sure did!
That is why we shipped opium to China. It was getting hard to buy desirable Chinese products since we didn't export anything they wanted (or admitted that they wanted). When we got them hooked on opium though .....

Another option is to sell weapons that they can't produce themselves China doesn't buy but a lot of others do ...

/ Robin
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

if the statements that preceded my reply had been made in my presence, a similar exchange would have occurred.

As of 17-5-19, the "statements that preceded my reply" contain no errors or failures of understanding. Therefore I don't see why you would accuse their authors of incomprehension.

And I don't see why you would talk about Bush etc. when none of those comments were in that area.

Quoted Text

If you’re that concerned, and hobby doom is breathing down your neck, have the guts to start your own model manafacturing company. How hard can it be?

There are a whole range of necessary supplies that cost more in the USA than in China, starting with staff. Outsourcing doesn't happen for no reason. Your solution isn't a solution.

Quoted Text

please don’t say this president is a liar. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN LIARS!

I hope you've done your fact-checking before throwing such an insult at forty-four hard working men?

But the point is; this president's comments about tariffs are stupid, transparent lies.

David
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 08:37 PM UTC
I see another fire starting to burn ...

Please keep it civil to avoid giving me a reason for locking this thread.
Discussing international economics is one thing but too much heated feelings about politics usually doesn't end well ...

Just a friendly reminder

/ Robin
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 09:31 PM UTC
Way back in the day when you saw made in Hong Kong or Taiwan stamped on the butt of your GI Joe chances are it was already made in the People's republic of China.

The factories and tooling were on the mainland, the headquarters and staff were in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

This was discovered when new companies went in search of the old tooling to bring out commemorative toys. Turns out it had always been on the mainland.

And now as manufacture in China edged up in price manufacturing is going to Vietnam and Thailand and the Philippines. India is the big producer for Airfix.

The global economy is way past tariffs being of use to anyone. Too interconnected now. Tariffs now only hurt. The global economy is past protections benefitting domestic production. No one can make everything anymore.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 11:40 PM UTC
Well... I noticed a Tamiya kit in my stash had made in the Philipines on the box. I suspect there will be more made not in China stamped on products to avoid tariffs. I know other countries like North Korea put made somewhere else on labels to sell their stuff. It will be a challenge to prove where a product was made. Put a made somewhere label on it, ship it to country "B" then ship to the US. I wonder at what pricepoint % will it be cheaper to buy from Canada who are not tariffed? Will the tariff be extended to Chinese imports from third countries?

Here is why "I" don't think tariffs will work. If the buyer is taxed/tariffed and the money goes to the government, the buyer is hurt not the seller. My example is the European VAT. From what little I know about VAT, The buyer pays and not the seller. The money goes to the government. Different name but the same process. (Sorry if I lumped all European countries in the label if they don't have a VAT) And I suspect they end up just paying more for what they bought. Were the manufacturers country of origin harmed I don't think so. There are not many options on where to buy cellphones, TV's and models.
 _GOTOTOP