_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Shipping from China
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hello everyone...I just wanted to ask a question and see if anyone has any information.

I ordered 2 models from China...followed the tracking update etc......one arrived "Flight landed in destination country" on May 10th...the other "Flight landed in destination country" on May 13th....wither neither one having an update since then.

I have ordered models before..but have never taken this long through customs...has anyone seen this before...or does this have to do with the new tariffs some how? Do I owe more money to US customs? How would I know if so?

Thank you,
Eric

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 12:32 AM UTC
Eric, I just received a couple of kits from "Hobby Easy" out of Hong Kong last week. I wasn't socked with any extra tariffs or anything else.
The interesting thing was the kits went into the US Postal System taking 3 days to get from the coast to the distribution center 10 miles from my house, I'm thinkin', "tomorrow I'll have my kits". Next day no kits, checked tracking they were in Nashua, NH, about a 1000 miles? away! They did finally arrive a few days later. Unless customs is in New Hampshire I think it's just the USPS screwin' up.

Good luck with your kits !
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 12:46 AM UTC
I have two packages from China scheduled to arrive in the Tampa (Valrico) area today. They arrived in the US around the 13th/14th and took a few days for customs/transport to destination. I don't think there will be any extra fees on them. As to where they go for customs clearance, it depends on where they enter the US and where in the US they are going. Small packages usually travel by air and can come into the US almost at any airport. One of the packages came in through San Francisco, the other through New York City. Both were shipped about the same time from China.

EDIT - 2 boxes delivered at 1241 EST.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone...I just wanted to ask a question and see if anyone has any information.

I ordered 2 models from China...followed the tracking update etc......one arrived "Flight landed in destination country" on May 10th...the other "Flight landed in destination country" on May 13th....wither neither one having an update since then.

I have ordered models before..but have never taken this long through customs...has anyone seen this before...or does this have to do with the new tariffs some how? Do I owe more money to US customs? How would I know if so?

Thank you,
Eric

I wouldn't worry about it very much. I've ordered stuff from Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and the Philippines; the longest I've ever had to wait, was for an order for three different "smallish" models from a vendor in South Korea, which is supposedly on friendly terms with the U.S...

THREE MONTHS...

It's possible that this vendor had to get these three models from different suppliers..? I had to contact this particular vendor several times, and each time I got dribs and drabs of "order-status reports" showing that indeed, my order was "on the way", and ON SCHEDULE! I got the same-type of status reports as you did. Our "point of entry" in the U.S. is usually in the State of California, where NOTHING happens very quickly.

(Almost four weeks ago, I ordered a headphone-plug adapter and a "Y-splitter" cable from a vendor in California, which I ordered on the 25th of April. These items shipped on the 1st of May. I received said headphone-plug adapter and "Y-splitter" cable via U.S. Postal Service... Yesterday...)

To refer back to the three models which I ordered from the vendor in South Korea; it took a while, but I finally got my three models, which came in three separate deliveries, from the same departure point in South Korea...

Our very own postal service has a "cock-a-mamie method" of shipping various items from one "point of origin location" in the continental U.S., (depending on which State said "point of origin" is), to other locations, i.e, various USPS Distribution Centers, to yet another location, and on to several other locations before one's item finally arrives at one's own local Post Office. Again, Then, one has to wait before said item arrives in one's mailbox. Yes, the USPS is a model of efficiency in and of itself...

Go figure...
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you,
Eric

I wouldn't worry about it very much. I've ordered stuff from Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and the Philippines; the longest I've ever had to wait, was for an order for three different "smallish" models from a vendor in South Korea, which is supposedly on friendly terms with the U.S...

THREE MONTHS...

It's possible that this vendor had to get these three models from different suppliers..? I had to contact this particular vendor several times, and each time I got dribs and drabs of "order-status reports" showing that indeed, my order was "on the way", and ON SCHEDULE! I got the same-type of status reports as you did. Our "point of entry" in the U.S. is usually in the State of California, where NOTHING happens very quickly.

(Almost four weeks ago, I ordered a headphone-plug adapter and a "Y-splitter" cable from a vendor in California, which I ordered on the 25th of April. These items shipped on the 1st of May. I received said headphone-plug adapter and "Y-splitter" cable via U.S. Postal Service... Yesterday...)

To refer back to the three models which I ordered from the vendor in South Korea; it took a while, but I finally got my three models, which came in three separate deliveries, from the same departure point in South Korea...

Our very own postal service has a "cock-a-mamie method" of shipping various items from one "point of origin location" in the continental U.S., (depending on which State said "point of origin" is), to other locations, i.e, various USPS Distribution Centers, to yet another location, and on to several other locations before one's item finally arrives at one's own local Post Office. Again, Then, one has to wait before said item arrives in one's mailbox. Yes, the USPS is a model of efficiency in and of itself...

Go figure...

I would, for the region I'm living, never buy from any American sited seller. I live in Thailand. What was quoted, is an example of the rotten system of USPS. The Chinese traders, when you take your time for picking out the good ones, have a real modern and sophisticated attitude of doing business with you. Good e-mail contact, reliable and correct and the prices are ok.
Never, over the last 5 years living in Thailand, trading with them, I had any complaint. When it takes time, they give a message.
My complaint, ordering from an American trader, still goes to USPS not reacting on missing postals from this trader, 2 to be precise, they simply deny it was being send by them. that cost me about a USD 300,-

To be short: You Americans should start working on your logistics services to be honest, instead of blaming the efficient and money making enemy. In a lot of post, not speaking about "The Tariffs" (a thread of straight stupidity), the China to blame makes the surface, where we all hit the drums when a Takom, Rye Field or Meng is presented.
NOT MADE IN AMERICA BUT CONSUMED FROM
Invest a system, a way to trade that you discovered by yourself, communication is the key to do that, instead of going crazy over a few Dollars.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 02:56 AM UTC
I've ordered several times from reliable hobby vendors in China and my orders typically take 1 1/2 - 2 months to arrive. I assume the "free shipping" on most items is the lowest, dirt-cheap shipping due to waiting for a crate to be filled, then waiting for a shipping container to be filled, then shipped (by ship) to North America, unloaded, and left sitting on the dock waiting to be processed, then customs and postal services. I also occasionally order from US and it can take a month - so go figure!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you,
Eric

THREE MONTHS...

Go figure...

I would, for the region I'm living, never buy from any American sited seller. I live in Thailand. What was quoted, is an example of the rotten system of USPS. The Chinese traders, when you take your time for picking out the good ones, have a real modern and sophisticated attitude of doing business with you. Good e-mail contact, reliable and correct and the prices are ok.
Never, over the last 5 years living in Thailand, trading with them, I had any complaint. When it takes time, they give a message.
My complaint, ordering from an American trader, still goes to USPS not reacting on missing postals from this trader, 2 to be precise, they simply deny it was being send by them. that cost me about a USD 300,-

To be short: You Americans should start working on your logistics services to be honest, instead of blaming the efficient and money making enemy. In a lot of post, not speaking about "The Tariffs" (a thread of straight stupidity), the China to blame makes the surface, where we all hit the drums when a Takom, Rye Field or Meng is presented.
NOT MADE IN AMERICA BUT CONSUMED FROM
Invest a system, a way to trade that you discovered by yourself, communication is the key to do that, instead of going crazy over a few Dollars.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Tell that to BOTH Houses of the U.S. Congress, our logistics services, i.e, USPS, etc, and see how far you'll get... You may also want to consult with America's "Big Business Bosses", who arranged to sell their OWN business interests, i.e, manufacturing of consumer goods to... China...

I recently shopped at a "Harbor Freight" outlet in one of our local cities. Just out of curiosity, I picked up a clear plastic package which contained an American Flag. The tag which was attached to this "American Flag" read, "MADE IN CHINA"... So what is the object lesson, here..?

Robert, it makes SENSE for you to buy your goods from CHINA, so why bother to buy anything from a U.S. or Canadian, or Mexican, or German, or Russian, French, Brazilian, Sri Lankan or any other vendor on the face of Planet Earth, when all you will be buying is a CHINESE PRODUCT, anyway..?

I'm willing to bet that EVEN SPACE ALIENS buy their goods from China...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 03:26 AM UTC
The worst for me was ordering from Hawaii. I had thought it was part of the US and how could a package get lost between Hawaii and the mainland.

I had the USPS never leave a notice of attempting delivery and returning a package to Belgium. But one email and the guy re mailed the package with chocolate for my inconvenience.

Recently there have been some real long mailing times, but they were noted in the shipping notes so I was forewarned. With tracking you can follow all the strange delays in shipping. You can just see a package disappear into a truck in Idaho for four days and show up in the distribution center and be processed in under an hour and at your local post office that very morning. But it arrives at 0830 so it sits for a day.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 06:06 AM UTC
Mail coming into this country might sit in a secure warehouse until it can be inspected by customs or the postal service and dump into the USPS system.

Also reading the US is leaving the Universal Postal Union (UPU) that set rates between countries. So the price of postage from China and other developing countries will increase.

http://www.ncsl.org/blog/2018/01/16/please-mr-postman-are-americans-subsidizing-foreign-shipments.aspx

https://www.lexingtoninstitute.org/terminal-dues-time-end-drain-u-s-economy/
Deanwormer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 06:35 AM UTC
The US postal system is the last great mystery left for mankind to decipher.

Our tracking system, while interesting, provides ample evidence that we are dealing with forces not of this universe.

Almost without fail I get packages from outside our borders within an shamefully small amount of time, while I track packages going from North Carolina to my home in Virginia picking up travel stickers from New York to Oklahoma. Go figger.

In the US Postal system you pays yo dime and takes yo ride!

And don’t get me started about the great pretender UPS...
ernietheviking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 08:34 AM UTC
If you wonderful people across the pond feel hard done by - try Parcel Force which deals with foreign shipping too big for the Royal Mail. The Chinese vendors such as LuckyModel stick a "low value invoice" which basically means whatever it is - it only costs £14 which is below the duty thresh-hold. Parcel Force feel they haven't been properly remunerated for the job they are paid for - so decide that the contents are subject to £12 in duty. They then charge a handling fee of £8 for the privilege of them paying to HMRC money you didn't have to pay anyway.
Ironically, the Trumpeter 1/16 Panther cost 8 Euros to ship from the Netherlands via DHL within 2 days. and being within the European union - was duty free. Somehow , this kit was £50 below the best price I could find from Hong Kong vendors which is just bizarre.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 08:47 AM UTC
I have found that I get things quicker from china than Spru Brothere or Squadron.
These 2 like to ship fed X and then send it ti the Snale Mail Dept.
Donald
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 08:57 AM UTC
Eric,
I wouldn't worry too much. Today is the 17th. If the USPS said your package arrived in "the destination country" on the 13th, that's only 4 days. Depending on the mode of transportation (based on what you paid for), it could take up to a week or a bit more to get to Florida, especially if the receiving port was on the west coast. I ordered a kit through Amazon back in January, without realizing it was coming from China (Hong Kong). I paid the lowest price for shipping. It sat for almost a week in the Hong Kong P.O. facility, was in transit two days, then sat in the San Francisco P.O. and Customs Clearnce office for another 6 days before being released for transport to Seattle (I live in Washington State) transport to Seattle took 3 days ground) once it got to Seattle, it took another 2 days. Altogether from hitting the "order" button to delivery, it was 29 days. The longest place it spent in one place was in Hong Kong and the seller (while he was "processing" it) So, if it's here in this country, you'll probably get it in a week to ten days.
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have found that I get things quicker from china than Spru Brothere or Squadron.
These 2 like to ship fed X and then send it ti the Snale Mail Dept.
Donald

This must depend on where you live. I get Sprue Brothers (Missouri) orders (small and large packages) within 4-5 days, and I live near Seattle. Sprue Brothers generally ships to me by USPS, and only a few times by UPS due to what was in the order (paint). It also likely depends on what your shipping choice was. On the other hand, I've waited as long as 20 days for an item to leave China just to get to the West Cost of the US. Now, a funny thing happened with my last Sprue Brothers order-- (10 bottles of Mr. Color paint-- it got here in 4 days, via USPS, not the usual UPS (for hazardous freight). When I asked my mailman about it, he told me "sometimes the USPS will ship paint depending on the circumstances, and lately, I've found USPS, UPS, and FEDEX are handing off deliveries to each other.
VR, Russ
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 10:40 AM UTC
Yes, the 4 day one I am not worried about yet..it is the 8 day sitting at the airport package.....guess I have to be patient.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 10:43 AM UTC
My house can be a challenge to find, usually by UPS. I figure if an 82 year old man can drive 1200 miles and find the house using Map Quest, UPS can find me, nope.

For over seas orders my luck has been mixed, however, I don't usually keep track of the shipments. I also try to keep orders in the "small packet" category. It saves on shipping, and often get air mailed. The best service I get is from a vendor in Australia.

Over-all I've found USPS to be about the same as everyone else, after I factor in how much I use them compared to the others. For the reason above, I don't pick UPS if I can avoid it.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, the 4 day one I am not worried about yet..it is the 8 day sitting at the airport package.....guess I have to be patient.

That beats the one I had. LAX for only 6 days, but in transit for 2 more days, arrived a day later. Then I wasn't home, needed a signature, had to work Saturday, finally got to the post office on Monday. It was one of two. The second box was shipped two days after the first, and arrived in the mail box in three days. Where's the logic in that?
Northwoods
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 11:14 AM UTC
Tom Sullivan on radio listed some stuff from China not subject to the Trump tariffs..

Model kits are on the list
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 12:03 PM UTC
I'v had kits ship from Hong Kong quicker than UK sellers.
I ordered the Meng Jagdpanther on a Monday and arrive on the Friday.
steviecee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 12:49 PM UTC
when I've ordered from Hong Kong the package will stay there for a few days, probably until they fill an air freight container, then hit Chicago and be here the day after. From Japan it will be out in a day and come thru Chicago and be here the day after. From England it will be out of there in a day, be in New York and then sit there until whenever, usually 7-10 days, and then 2 days after it leaves NY arrive. The craziest route was from Calif to Chicago to Kentucky to Indianapolis to Detroit and then my home. Because of the tracking I always knew where it was but there was NO sense to the route
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The craziest route was from Calif to Chicago to Kentucky to Indianapolis to Detroit and then my home. Because of the tracking I always knew where it was but there was NO sense to the route

Fedex, by chance?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 07:00 AM UTC
I've purchased items since the 1970s from throughout the USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, and Asia, and have had only four problems that I recall. One domestic package (a book) was lost and on three occasions poorly packed items were damaged(two UPS and one FedEx). I have no reason to complain.

I consider 7-10 days perfectly reasonable to receive a package. From reading the web I guess Amazon Prime has spoiled a lot of people who don't understand why everything they order doesn't arrive in 48 hours or less.

I was secretary for AMPS some years back and dealt with members who had never received magazines. In all but a very small number of cases, the problem was the member. I was able to drastically reduce the number of "lost" magazines by running the database addresses (given to us by the members) through the USPS address checker, making sure it was recognized as valid, and putting into the standard format. It is surprising how many people literally do not know where they live. I had a guy insist that he was at XYZ and had been there for 20 years but the !@#$% incompetent USPS was always losing his mail. I checked his address through the USPS website and it was not a valid address. I dug around and found his address on a ZIP code map and the mapped ZIP was different from what he had given me. His address with the "new" ZIP was in the USPS system. When I told him that he said, "Huh. You know, I get a lot of mail with the XYZ ZIP crossed out and that one written in."

KL
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The craziest route was from Calif to Chicago to Kentucky to Indianapolis to Detroit and then my home. Because of the tracking I always knew where it was but there was NO sense to the route

Fedex, by chance?

Distribution hubs for shipping. That's how transshipment by truck works.

Like everything I get goes to Kearny or Trenton regional distribution centers or both before getting to my local post office.

It's the nature of freight hauling. Kind of like some airlines have all flights go to their hub, even if it's out of the way, before connecting to another flight.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've purchased items since the 1970s from throughout the USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, and Asia, and have had only four problems that I recall. One domestic package (a book) was lost and on three occasions poorly packed items were damaged(two UPS and one FedEx). I have no reason to complain.

I consider 7-10 days perfectly reasonable to receive a package. From reading the web I guess Amazon Prime has spoiled a lot of people who don't understand why everything they order doesn't arrive in 48 hours or less.

I was secretary for AMPS some years back and dealt with members who had never received magazines. In all but a very small number of cases, the problem was the member. I was able to drastically reduce the number of "lost" magazines by running the database addresses (given to us by the members) through the USPS address checker, making sure it was recognized as valid, and putting into the standard format. It is surprising how many people literally do not know where they live. I had a guy insist that he was at XYZ and had been there for 20 years but the !@#$% incompetent USPS was always losing his mail. I checked his address through the USPS website and it was not a valid address. I dug around and found his address on a ZIP code map and the mapped ZIP was different from what he had given me. His address with the "new" ZIP was in the USPS system. When I told him that he said, "Huh. You know, I get a lot of mail with the XYZ ZIP crossed out and that one written in."

KL

Hi, Kurt!

I've had the same thing happen when billing people while I was still in the automobile-business. Wrong zip codes, transposed house and telephone numbers, you name it! Some people still can't tell their left from their right, either. They'll look at their hands and have to think about it...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Kurt!

----- Some people still can't tell their left from their right, either. They'll look at their hands and have to think about it...

The left hand is the one with the thumb on the right side,
the right hand is the one with the thumb on the left side,
unless the palms are facing upwards because then it is the other way around ....
If the thumb is in the middle you are in DEEP trouble ....
 _GOTOTOP