_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Magach 7C Gimel: Any "non-slip" applied?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC
I am building the Academy IDF Magach 7C "Gimel" kit. It's the available kit in town of this esoteric, most-recent IDF re-do of their venerable M-60 tanks. Not a bad kit, but it clearly does not have any of that non-slip coating we usually associate with most modern IDF AFV molded on, so...

I would like to know if it SHOULD or maybe could have non-slip applied to be accurate - I'm at the stage where I can readily do it. Anyone have any info or knowledge about non-slip being applied to ANY of the Magach 7C Gimel tanks (most photos I've seen appear to show none, but...)?

I would greatly appreciate any assist on this!

Bob
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 01:18 PM UTC
I built the kit a couple of years ago. It's a mixed bag. the lower hull is as you observed a bit dated with the motorization holes etc. The Israeli Gimel parts are much better. That said the Legend update set does help. I applied the anti slip to the horizontal surfaces. You can find photos on the web that show where to apply. Note that it is not uniformly applied and has a rather coarse appearance.

I'm sure other will chime in with other/better info.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I built the kit a couple of years ago. It's a mixed bag. the lower hull is as you observed a bit dated with the motorization holes etc. The Israeli Gimel parts are much better. That said the Legend update set does help. I applied the anti slip to the horizontal surfaces. You can find photos on the web that show where to apply. Note that it is not uniformly applied and has a rather coarse appearance.

I'm sure other will chime in with other/better info.

Thanks for the response, Dvsand! So, if I understand you correctly, there SHOULD be non-slip applied on the Gimel, right?

I have the Legends set and expect to use quite a bit of it, together with some scratch work to detail-up some aspects of this thing.

To-date, I have not found any photos which strongly confirm that non-slip was indeed applied on the Gimel, but I expect that the IDF would have done so, given as they have done so on several other AFV as a "standard application". I assume that the upper horizontal surfaces of the turret would be covered - and perhaps some areas on the upper hull.

As you have built this kit and applied some non-slip... Would you be willing to share a pic or 3 of your build? I would LOVE to see it - there are very few pics around of Gimel builds - least that I can find!

Cheers! Bob
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 07:24 PM UTC
I guess some walkaround pics should help...

http://svsm.org/gallery/magach7C

(I'd put my money on "No anti-slip"...)

H.P.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone have any info or knowledge about non-slip being applied to ANY of the Magach 7C Gimel tanks (most photos I've seen appear to show none, but...)?

Depends on the time frame I guess. AFAIK, by the mid 90's all IDF MBTs have anti-slip applied on them, including the Magach 7 Gimel (at least in the regular army; might not be true for reserve units).

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 11:13 AM UTC
THANK YOU, ALL! It's all very helpful.

@Henri; I did a pretty big Google search last night / early this AM on the Magach 7C Gimel. From what I saw, it would certainly appear that "no non-slip" was pretty much the pattern... Not willing to put down good money on it, but there was scant evidence of any non-slip on any Gimel that I could see a pic of. Until...

I found that there was almost the exact same question raised here on Armorama back in 2016! And in that thread...

Were to be seen some definitive pictures showing non-skid applied to a Gimel!

@Israel; Thanks, mate! You have posted those exact same pics which apparently showed up in the Gimel thread started by Armorsmith here on Armorama back in Sept, 2016!

From which pics I conclude that I can at least apply non-skid with the knowledge that SOME one or more Gimel actually had the stuff applied. That's enough for me, as I'm actually "itching" to apply some to this build - and I was concerned that maybe NO Gimel had or has it... And I wouldn't want to go there against modern history!

It turned out after more searching around that there are actually pictures posted and available showing several Gimel builds over the past few years. A small number of these builds have included some non-skid application. I'll guess that those builders must have somehow got info confirming non-skid on the Gimel...

Anyway... Again, THANK YOU, ALL! I've learned what I sought to learn. I'm off to start work on that Gimel!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP