_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Using Def Model Sherman 75mm barrel on Tasca
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi all. I was wondering if anybody has used the Def Model 75mm Sherman barrel (35054) on Tasca/Asuka M4 shermans?

The barrel is meant to be for Dragon shermans but I'm hoping to use it on a Tasca/Asuka M4A1.

Thanks in advance!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 07:35 AM UTC
Mike,

I thought I had every Sherman barrel there was! I don't have the DEF ones.

I do have both Dragon and Tasca/Asuka M4's, and 75mm barrels for the Tasca kits. I do not have any barrels made specific to the Dragon 75mm kits. The barrels made for the Tasca kits are thicker at the base than the Dragon kit barrel. If the DEF barrels are made to the same thickness as the kit barrel they will be a bit too small for the Tasca mantlet.

I have Lion Mark barrels for my Tasca kits, and they fit perfectly, if a little snugly. Are you doing an early or late M4A1?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,

I thought I had every Sherman barrel there was! I don't have the DEF ones.

I do have both Dragon and Tasca/Asuka M4's, and 75mm barrels for the Tasca kits. I do not have any barrels made specific to the Dragon 75mm kits. The barrels made for the Tasca kits are thicker at the base than the Dragon kit barrel. If the DEF barrels are made to the same thickness as the kit barrel they will be a bit too small for the Tasca mantlet.

I have Lion Mark barrels for my Tasca kits, and they fit perfectly, if a little snugly. Are you doing an early or late M4A1?

Hi, Mike!

In addition to what Randall just wrote, the earlier M4A1 75mm Barrels tapered from the Mantlet down towards the business-end of the Barrel, and then flared outwards near the end of the Muzzle, right to the mouth of the Barrel. For example, this taper was similar to a musical instrument such as a Clarinet, or as seen on a Blunderbuss, which is a WONDERFUL musical instrument, indeed!!!

Of course, this outward-taper was not quite as pronounced at the mouth of the 75mm Muzzle as the two examples I've cited above.

The mid to late M4A1s used a 75mm Barrel that had a straight taper all the way to the mouth of the Muzzle.

You will want to check your kit's parts and instructions; then decide which type of Barrel you may want to choose to use for your model. You may also want to be careful as to which Gun Mantlet you use; check your instructions...

I hope that Randall and I have been of some help to you in answering your question...

PS- DEF makes every kind of 75 and 76mm M4-series Medium Barrel; where one needs to be careful, is which particular kit these Barrels are meant to fit before you buy...
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 08:47 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I was hoping to do the straight-tapered barrel 75mm gun (not a flared barrel) for a D-Day M4A1 of the 743rd Tank Batallion.

I'll look into getting a Lion Mark barrel, I like the look of the Def Model barrel but if it's not going to fit the Tasca/Asuka kit mantlet then there's no point.

Much appreciated!

27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I was hoping to do the straight-tapered barrel 75mm gun (not a flared barrel) for a D-Day M4A1 of the 743rd Tank Batallion.

I'll look into getting a Lion Mark barrel, I like the look of the Def Model barrel but if it's not going to fit the Tasca/Asuka kit mantlet then there's no point.

Much appreciated!

Please post pics of your build when you can. The 743rd is one of my favorite topics.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 08:21 PM UTC
I will certainly do. My plan is to depict a 743rd M4A1 just after Omaha Beach was captured on D-Day.

I have the Eduard wading stacks which I will use, probably with the stacks off but the bases attached still.

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 06:31 AM UTC
The Lionmarc barrels are now offered by Passion models.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 06:53 AM UTC
Thanks marc.

I will look into ordering a barrel.

Incidentally I test fitted the DEF Model barrel on the Tasca M4A1 and it fitted ok, a tiny bit loose but the gap around the gun/mantlet join is very small.

It's a 'new' style barrel (ie tapered, no muzzle flare), but I like the idea of the Lion Marc barrel fitting perfectly.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks marc.

I will look into ordering a barrel.

Incidentally I test fitted the DEF Model barrel on the Tasca M4A1 and it fitted ok, a tiny bit loose but the gap around the gun/mantlet join is very small.

It's a 'new' style barrel (ie tapered, no muzzle flare), but I like the idea of the Lion Marc barrel fitting perfectly.

Hi, Mike!

Just to be sure we're on the same page- There was a tiny gap around the circumference of the Barrel where it protruded from the Mantlet. This was for recoil-clearance when the gun was fired, so there should be a little bit of a gap there on your model, on purpose...

Enjoy; the TASCA/ASUKA Shermans are GREAT kits!!!
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 10:42 AM UTC
Thanks Dennis! That is good to know and it makes perfect sense that there would need to be a small gap for recoil.

The kit looks very nice indeed and I'm looking forward to building it.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Dennis! That is good to know and it makes perfect sense that there would need to be a small gap for recoil.

The kit looks very nice indeed and I'm looking forward to building it.

You're Very Welcome!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 11:16 AM UTC
I would still recommend getting the LionMarc barrel if you can. Both Tasca/Asuka and Dragon use a similar method of mounting the kit barrel, but I think the Tasca/Asuka is a better way, and holds the metal barrel firmly.

If you decide on the DEF barrel it would not take much to adapt it to the Tasca mounting.

A Sherman 75mm barrel tapers at the mantlet so there is no bare metal part on the barrel as seen on the 76mm, and the gap around the barrel is very small.
 _GOTOTOP