_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Has the Modeling industry gone nuts ?
Removed by original poster on 06/05/19 - 09:39:31 (GMT).
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 10:28 PM UTC
Just checked market place on scale mates,seems about the normal prices.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-6470-sdkfz-138-1-geschutzwagen-38-h-fur-sig33-1--108527
hetzer44
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 241 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC
Sadly, those prices have been high like that for some time. Modelers tend to get desensitized to the high prices, though they probably don't buy as many kits per order as they used to. And don't forget to add 9-12 dollars for shipping when you order a kit on-line.

Cheers!

chuck
Marknasim
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 12:05 AM UTC
Its one of the reason I got out of the hobby....it got to where after everything I bought for one piece of armor...the price of the kit, photo etch set, track links..... it was inching up towards 200.00 per unit......that is just ridiculous...... of course you have the option not to buy tracks, detail sets .etc.....but I usually wanted to in order to make them look much better....and between the limited time I had to build and then the price of the hobby...not to mention paints and supplies etc....... it got real expensive...quick....I could no longer see any justification in it.......I could also see no investment long term either....I mean you make a model then put it in a case on shelf and watch it collect dust.....but you would never get your money out of it.I know..its a hobby though........I was brought up in the 70's Shep Paine was the man back in the day.....I look back and think of how far the industry has come since, it is like night and day....one would be simply blown away had we had the things then that we do today...its unbelievable.....yeah..I know its just a hobby....but I learned quickly that some take this way too serious because its all going to crumble into dust one day anyway.......and for what..... to each his own I guess......
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 02:55 AM UTC
One reason I don't buy many Dragon kits anymore. Their prices have been a lot higher than other manufacturers for some time now, and the words "price gouging" comes to my mind when I see their prices. But there are other manufacturers that started lower and are now higher too. I don't think it's the"tariff scare" as much as "whatever the market will bear". It seems odd to me that in this day of CAD design and tooling, which ought to make things faster and cheaper, these kit prices are ever increasing. I could see spending $50-$60 on a nice kit of a single tank or armored vehicle, not nearly $100, plus shipping. I think Dragon is perhaps the worst offender right now, but then again I'm prejudiced against them for combining their "Black Label" line with high prices.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 03:25 AM UTC
I don't think it's the whole industry so much as just Dragon.

Other companies are asking $40 to $70 with the higher cost often for larger kits or those with interiors.

Except Dragon. For them you have to wait for sales and the kit has been out awhile.

And aftermarket? I can't afford other than out of the box anymore. I still want to build but the extra bells and whistles just aren't worth it.

Won't win any contests but then I cant afford the entrance fee anymore.

Won't spend more than $40 on a 1/35 scale kit and then it better come highly praised .

Research and shop around. There was a clothes retailer whose motto was "an educated consumer is our best customer "

Educate yourself.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 04:26 AM UTC
Which is why I also check eBay for kits. Dragon #6470 $59.44 free shipping from Hong Kong or $39.99 plus 11.99 shipping from a U.S. seller.

Meng's Smerch goes for $109.99 from Scalehobbist which usually has the best prices but you can get it on eBay from China for $73.99 free shipping. Which is what I saw it for last year before the trade war started.

Wish I had $74 right now.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 05:24 AM UTC
Gotta face it,it's not your grandfather's hobby anymore,nor is it the same hobby from when I was a kid 50 years ago,or for that matter,in the 80's when I started up again.Tamiya armor kits $22.00.

It's eveything,are golfing,fishing,skiing,bowling,photography cheap anymore,no everything has gone up.

Sure,you can generally find Monogram or Revell kits at cheaper prices,but if you want Hi-tech,AM and weathering products,well your running up the bill.

So while,I won't ever leave the hobby,one must be selective and draw the line,just as anything else in life.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gotta face it,it's not your grandfather's hobby anymore,nor is it the same hobby from when I was a kid 50 years ago,or for that matter,in the 80's when I started up again. Tamiya armor kits $22.00.

You can get the Tamiya M41 Bulldog for that price. Seems that kit never changes price in the modern era anyway.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 06:55 AM UTC
I’m not entirely convinced that any aftermarket stuff is needed to win in competitions. I’ve seen plenty of aftermarket bits added but executed badly and there’s no extra score allocated for doing it badly. A well built and finished kit (with well done scratchbuilt additions or none at all) should still beat one with badly done aftermarket stuff.

If winning is important, then concentrate on doing what you are happy to do and getting better at that. Actually even if it isn’t, that may be more satisfying than spending more and not executing it as well.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 06:58 AM UTC
Big Mac index says
1986: US $ 1:60
2019: US $ 4:93
Quotient: 3.08

Tamiya armor kit mid 80'ies US $22
Same kit 2019 (BMI) US $22 x 3,08 = 67:79

Sprue Brothers has the ancient Tamiya kit listed at $13:49
and the M41 G (the German version) from AFV-Club at US $35:99.
If the AFV-Club kit had been available back in 1986 and
IF the Big Mac Index had been applicable the AFV-Club kit would have cost US $ 11:68 (7.3 Big Macs ..).

The hobby is definitely not the same as in granddads days.
We have a lot more to choose from when it comes to aftermarket.
Did Friul tracks exist back then? Resin detail or conversion sets? Weapon sets? Anyone remember what the Ma Deuces in those ancient Tamiya kits looked like?

The kits today have a LOT more parts (for better or worse) and they are probably cheaper as well.
One thing that definitely has changed though is that granddad used to be a lot younger and healthier back in those days
His hair hadn't turned gray, he was less overweight, his back wasn't complaining so much, his eyesight was a lot better et.c et.c

/ Robin

Edit: US $ 66:49 at Sprue Brothers gets you the AFV-Club Shot Kal Gimel in the Peace for Galilee variant:
http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/afv35282.htm
Using the Big Mac Index this kit would have been slightly cheaper than Tamiyas M41 back in 1986.
Counting the parts and comparing the size the Shot Kal I would say that the Shot Kal gives you 4 times the value.
So basically you gets your moneys worth from the first 25% of the kit and the rest is FREE
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 07:25 AM UTC
Robin, I like your "Big Mac Index" or BMI pricing guide lines.
I do something similar... I used to pump gas (way back when somebody would pump your gas, wash the windows & check the oil) in 1970. Gas was $.40 a gallon or 2 1/2 gallons equaled a dollar. Right now gas is near $3 a gallon so $7.50 worth of gas based on 1970.
Monagram airplane kits were a$1 in 1970 = $7.50 now. Squadron has the SAME kits @ $15
AMT car kits were $2 in 1970 = $15 now. Squadron once again, same kits are $27. So, basically double my gas index prices.
Talk about maximizing your molds! But I guess people still must buy these kits or they wouldn't make them.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Which is why I also check eBay for kits. Dragon #6470 $59.44 free shipping from Hong Kong or $39.99 plus 11.99 shipping from a U.S. seller.

Meng's Smerch goes for $109.99 from Scalehobbist which usually has the best prices but you can get it on eBay from China for $73.99 free shipping. Which is what I saw it for last year before the trade war started.

Wish I had $74 right now.

Check Amazon, The price can change drastically from day to day. Finds kits you like, put them in a list then check them occasionally.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 08:26 AM UTC
Seems that gas could be more expensive
A gallon in Sweden costs 68 SEK which is roughly US $ 7:10 ....

"The Big Mac index was invented by The Economist in 1986 as a lighthearted guide to whether currencies are at their “correct” level. It is based on the theory of purchasing-power parity (PPP), the notion that in the long run exchange rates should move towards the rate that would equalise the prices of an identical basket of goods and services (in this case, a burger) in any two countries."

Since it has been published regularly it can be used to compare prices over time, cost of gas is the same thing.
In Sweden we sometimes use the cost of a litre of milk,
best price today is a little under a dollar.

/ Robin
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 10:09 AM UTC
Squadron has been gaining a rep for being one of the higher priced shops nowadays. I generally buy off ebay for the cheapest price I can find, and that is usually China.

But as has been said, everything is getting more expensive and it isn't just the tariffs (which are not part of the items affected by the tariffs anyway...yet). I only buy Dragon from their online store when on the half price sales, but at this point I have everything 1/35 German currently available and the new stuff has just been repops for a while now.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you guys noticed the huge price increases going on ?
I just looked this morning at Sprue Brothers New listings this morning and found this.
They have Dragons #6470 Sd.Kfz.138/1 Geschutz Wagen 38 fot sIG.33/1.
The MSRP is $93.00 with their price at $74.49
When it first came out it had a MSRP of $56.95 I bought it for about $30 on sale. I wonder if they are using the TARIF business as an excuse to jack up the prices? I just saw comparable kits listed on Hobby Easy for about $43
Something isn't right here.
What do you think?
Donald

As time goes on, prices for EVERYTHING on the face of Planet Earth inevitably go UP. This is a "fact of life", so get used to it...
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I just looked this morning at Sprue Brothers New listings this morning and found this.
When it first came out it had a MSRP of $56.95 I bought it for about $30 on sale. I wonder if they are using the TARIF business as an excuse to jack up the prices? I just saw comparable kits listed on Hobby Easy for about $43
What do you think?
Donald

As time goes on, prices for EVERYTHING on the face of Planet Earth inevitably go UP. This is a "fact of life", so get used to it...

Maby, but it's just rediculose to pay yhat much for an old kit , there's so much better stuff out now. For that price you could get RFM s new tiger.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What do you think?
Donald

Maby, but it's just rediculose to pay yhat much for an old kit , there's so much better stuff out now. For that price you could get RFM s new tiger.

And what if Donald doesn't happen to WANT RFM's "new tiger" at this particular time..?

My advice to Donald would be to "fine-tooth-comb" Ebay, and check out a few of the Hobby Shops that some of the other modelers in this thread have mentioned... Donald's search may prove to be time-consuming, but sooner or later, Donald will find what he's looking for... Somewhere...

PS- DRAGON's 6470 Sd.Kfz.138/1 Geschuetzwagen 38H fuer s.IG.33/1 is an excellent kit, no matter HOW good the RYE FIELD Tigers are- You can't compare a Self-propelled Gun kit to a Tank. That's like saying that coffee and milk are the same thing, just because you drink both of them out of a cup...

One reason why I don't build so many WWII German kits any more is because it takes someone about two weeks and a DAY just to get the name out of their mouths...

PPS- I have an extra one of these 38(t) "Bison" kits in my stock; I may sell it, and then, I may not...

PPPS- I TOLD ALL of you guys that Hobby Shops, distributors and the MEGA-HUGE-GIGANTIC Hobby Outlets would start "price-gouging" the SH*T out of plastic, old or new, once they got wind of the Chinese' plans to start adding 25% to the MSRP of all kits originating in China... Poor you...
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 02:22 PM UTC
I'm glad my wife does the vast majority of the regular shopping (such as food) in our house. It scares me how much EVERYTHING costs today. 20+ years ago, I had a different job than I do today, and I was making, in dollars, the same amount then that I do today. It's no wonder that I found it so easy to buy anything I wanted back then, because with the same dollar income, and prices hugely less than today, it was easy to afford just about anything. Admittedly, I was then, and still am today, extraordinarily lucky, but I absolutely feel the bite of prices today, especially when raises (at least mine) don't even keep up with the cost increases of goods and services. Models are no different. It is frustrating to see the prices of all modeling stuff so high, but particularly the aftermarket stuff like tracks and PE, and paints and consumables. As has been written, though, it's inevitable. I think I'm glad I'm 60, as I'm not sure I would want to be my son's age (25) with the future of prices looming higher at a higher rate of increase than I experienced at his age.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm glad my wife does the vast majority of the regular shopping (such as food) in our house. It scares me how much EVERYTHING costs today. 20+ years ago, I had a different job than I do today, and I was making, in dollars, the same amount then that I do today. It's no wonder that I found it so easy to buy anything I wanted back then, because with the same dollar income, and prices hugely less than today, it was easy to afford just about anything. Admittedly, I was then, and still am today, extraordinarily lucky, but I absolutely feel the bite of prices today, especially when raises (at least mine) don't even keep up with the cost increases of goods and services. Models are no different. It is frustrating to see the prices of all modeling stuff so high, but particularly the aftermarket stuff like tracks and PE, and paints and consumables. As has been written, though, it's inevitable. I think I'm glad I'm 60, as I'm not sure I would want to be my son's age (25) with the future of prices looming higher at a higher rate of increase than I experienced at his age.

Last year I could shop at the local grocery stores without going bankrupt. But no longer. I just have my pension and the cost of groceries has skyrocketed. Since I'm 100% disabled vet I got my base privileges back so now I shop at the commissary and my food bill is about 1/3 of what it was. Plus the last kid graduates in 3 weeks so no more having to pay for cheer leading or other sports or after school activities for her. Senior prom cost about $500. ouch. This will give me more money for hobbies and I shop around for the best prices I can to stretch my hobby dollar further.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being 65 years old, my 'expiration' date looms a bit closer with each passing day. With that being said, my time to build will also be limited, yet I have finally got the best engineering stash I've ever owned. Gone are the under engineered kits (but OK for their time obviously)...replaced with kits that pretty much are accurate from the get go. My aftermarket purchases are less now as well, because of greater engineering of the kits.

I'm been in a job that does not restrict my buying power: I get what I want, when I want, no matter the cost. Its a great asset to have when deciding what I wish to keep, buy, or modify.

The only thing I had hoped for every once in a while, is wishing I had all this modeling power and type of kits, 20-25 years ago.

I do also agree with you on today's youth in the modeling hobby: that kits/aftermarket are in a upward, uncontrolled spiral of unfettered and prohibitive cost. For most of us, our income remains at stagnant levels. If I was a 20-30 something, raising a family, paying all the bills, car payment, rent or mortgage, the last thing I could think about is that shiny new $70 kit. Would I trade age and income to be 20-30 again? NO!

Will the modeling industry suffer because of high prices? Perhaps. For myself, I do purchase less and I'm much more discriminating when purchasing. My taste, and eras, of modeling has changed as well. I don't buy every new release put out there. 30 years ago we could almost do that. Not any more (Trumpy alone has over 400 armor kits available in all scales).

I've been 'stuck' pretty much with Middle East modeling over the last 30 years. That choice was my own since I travelled extensively to the Middle East. The subject matter is endless and I found the modifications to a lot of vehicles was too good to pass up. Coupled with the quantity of modeling subjects in the Middle East genre also limited my purchasing. My stash is predominantly Middle East kits/aftermarket, with a spattering of a Panzer IV or Tiger 1.

The golden age of modeling is upon us I think. I'm just a bit more picky these days. The privilege of age!
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 02:58 AM UTC
The quandry of life. When you are young and want that really cool Harley, you can't afford it. When you are older and can afford it you are past your riding prime.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 03:00 AM UTC
Not exactly. You buy an Indian and ride the hell out of it.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC
It's not the modelling industry that has gone nuts it's the modelers. We are the ones that drive the prices by increasingly greater demand. Not just demand for kits but in the level of detail, accuracy, and fit that many have come to expect. Same for the AM stuff. There seems to be a mania for workable metal tracks hence Fruils, MasterClub, etc. are generally about $40. Same can be said of PE, resin accessories, etc. Forty years ago much of what we see as AM accessories was in its infancy. Few modelers were really interested in them except for the hard core guys. Now it's entirely different as even casual modelers and guys who don't compete use AM. Mind you I am not exempting myself as I regularly use AM tracks on about 70% of my builds as well as resin accessories. PE though not so much as most manufacturers include enough to meet my needs, although Tamiya is the exception here. Cost of kits is why I don't really have a "stash." While guys in my club have dozens, 100's, and one guy has north of about 1500, I'm lean having fewer than 20 unbuilt kits ant any given time. As for the prices I agree that in some/many cases they are ridiculous. However, I have set a limit on what I am willing to spend for a kit $40-$49 depending on what's included.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi, John and Everyone Else!

There isn't a doubt in my age-befuddled mind that most military-type plastic models, (in general), have reached new heights in subject matter, quality, accuracy and fidelity to detail. I too, have become much more discriminating in what I choose to buy, or NOT to buy. I have way too many unbuilt model kits on my shelves, some of which hearken back to antediluvian times, many of which I will probably never have enough time build before I go to that giant "Paint Station in the Sky". I turned 66, just this last January. "Time"; the Great Life-thief...

John, probably wisely from his point of view, has chosen to narrow his field of military modeling to Middle East subject matter. I, as nearly everyone on this site knows, have chosen to model mostly WWII US/Allied Armored and Soft-skinned subject matter in 1/35 scale, and a somewhat broader area in 1/48 Aircraft. Given my health problems, I will in all probability have to forgo building many of these models.

You younger fellows, (I ALMOST said "Whipper-snappers"!!! ), will still have a lot more time to devote to this hobby, ergo you will have the ambition and the desire to attack your ever-growing collection of unbuilt models with an enthusiasm which seems to be "in retrograde" with some of us older glue-sniffers.

I for one, am not so very enthusiastic over each and every new kit(s) that happen to come along, so the ever-increasing prices of said kits don't bother me as much as it does some of you other modelers; I can assure you all that this imperturbability is not due to my personal affluence. True, I have quite a few "other priorities" in my life, which are mostly health-related, AND expensive. To be honest, my "to buy" list is becoming shorter and shorter by the hour by choice, and to an even greater extent, by realities...

You know I can remember a time during the "first" oil-crisis of the early 1970s, and quite a few subsequent "crises", when some of my modeling buddies and I fretted over a 50-cent price-increase to certain models' MSRP. Today, we're looking at a 25% price-increase all across the board on our models, no matter WHAT kind of model it may be or where it came from. We're gonna get GOUGED. It's not just models or any of the model-related clap-trap, either.

Open your eyes and take a look at all of the ramifications of this "trade war" with China are going to have on our wallets (and BANK ACCOUNTS) ALL ACROSS the broad spectrum of consumer products and even on the bare rudiments of existence!

I have a good mind to "sell off" the vast majority of my unbuilt model kits because I KNOW that I'll never have the time to complete them, much less to even get them started!!!

Believe it or not, selling these this "stuff" will take a lot of pressure off "yours truly", because I will no longer have to remind myself every time I cast my eyes upon a choice morsel on my "To Build" shelves, and then stopping with the often nagging thought,

"OH! I HAVE to get to THIS ONE, SOON..."

Otherwise, what..? Will the "Model Police" come to arrest me if I don't..? PFFT!!!

Take a note on what I just said; do yourselves a favor and save your hard-earned cash for "something special", whatever that may be. What you THINK you need is often not what you REALLY need...
 _GOTOTOP