_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
More Stryker questions.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 08:49 PM UTC
Giving my M1134 a break and working on the 1127 and 1113. One question I have is how much a fire hazard are the smoke grenade launchers when fired? would something like a camo net be stored behind them? Also, is there any source for the air horns used on the Strykers? Only thing I've found are the horns from the Skybow/ AFV Club WC-57 (Patton). Only other ones I'e seen are 1/24 sale chrome plated look like toys. Two other things I'm looking for ... spare tires (without having to buy a whole set of resin tires just for the spare. ) and decals for something besides 2nd Stryker Cav Regt. (By the by, I've noticed bumper markings "2SCR", "2CR", and "2CAV". I assume they are different time frames. Yes? No? Maybe?
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Giving my M1134 a break and working on the 1127 and 1113. One question I have is how much a fire hazard are the smoke grenade launchers when fired? would something like a camo net be stored behind them? Also, is there any source for the air horns used on the Strykers? Only thing I've found are the horns from the Skybow/ AFV Club WC-57 (Patton). Only other ones I'e seen are 1/24 sale chrome plated look like toys. Two other things I'm looking for ... spare tires (without having to buy a whole set of resin tires just for the spare. ) and decals for something besides 2nd Stryker Cav Regt. (By the by, I've noticed bumper markings "2SCR", "2CR", and "2CAV". I assume they are different time frames. Yes? No? Maybe?

Some of the Strker kits from Trumpeter,AFV Club and the new Stryker Dragoon from Panda has air horns

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 12:41 AM UTC
The smoke grenade launchers do not have any flame to them. You can store anything you want up against or near them.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 03:27 AM UTC
http://armorama.com/forums/277326&page=1
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 09:49 AM UTC
The AFV Club add on kit seems to have everything but horns. Leastwise I see nothing on the sprue shots or instruction sheet that shows them. The three Trumpies I have do not have the horns. I'll have to investigate the others. Maybe I can order up the sprues. (or maybe one of the AM resin or 3D printer sorts will take up the challenge.) Thanks Gino. Wasn't sure what they used for a charge to launch the grenades. I had visions of it being some sort of gun powder charge and sparks from it setting anything combustible near it on fire. Another question I just ran into... Was working on the wheels a bit ago. What are the rings around the hubs and what is the rhyme or reason to their use? The photos show some with, some without, some with them only on the front wheels.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another question I just ran into... Was working on the wheels a bit ago. What are the rings around the hubs and what is the rhyme or reason to their use? The photos show some with, some without, some with them only on the front wheels.

I guess they're footsteps.

H.P.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 10:16 AM UTC
Looks like they'd be great for collecting local soil samples.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 11:56 AM UTC
Mia culpa. The AFV Club add on set DOES have the horn. It is on the sprue with the rear panel for the MGS. As far as I can tell that sprue is from the MGS kit and is the only one that comes with the horn. Trumpy's M1129 Mortar Carrier looks to be the only one of theirs with the horn. It is on the WP sprue. The 2 engineer vehicles have a WP sprue also, but it is totally different.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Another question I just ran into... Was working on the wheels a bit ago. What are the rings around the hubs and what is the rhyme or reason to their use? The photos show some with, some without, some with them only on the front wheels.

I guess they're footsteps.

H.P.

Only the front ring serves as footstep. Originally, these rings serve to protect the CTIS valves. On current Strykers, the rings are replaced by low-profile covers.
 _GOTOTOP