_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
KV-1 External Fuel Tanks
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi All,

I just got a 1/35 Trumpeter KV-1 (kit number 00360). My primary reason for getting this tank is that I want to try to duplicate the weathering that Adam Wilder demonstrated in his 27 part video series, starting with a 'virgin' modulated paint job, and progressing through to a complete weathered tank. I note, however, that Wilder's KV-1 has several external cylindrical fuel tanks sitting on top of the sponsons, but the kit, apparently does not include those fuel tanks and associated straps. Does anyone know if those fuel tanks are available in the aftermarket? I'll be happy to try to post some pictures if what I'm asking about isn't clear. Thanks.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 - 07:16 AM UTC
I'm not going to root through Neil Stokes' KV book, but my recollection is that the kit doesn't include them because the real reinforced cast turret tanks almost never used them. You have to remember that the object of the series (27 parts!?!) is to push a style of weathering and weathering products, not historical or scale accuracy.

There are unneeded tanks in the Trumpeter KV-8 kit. Aber made them in metal, but that costs about 2/3 as much as a whole KV-8 kit. You may be able to get them for about 10 bucks from the person selling KV sprues on Ebay.

KL
 _GOTOTOP