_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Alpine: 12. SS-Panzerdivision "Hitlerjugend"
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 01:24 AM UTC

Three new Wafen-SS figure sets are now available from Alpine Miniatures.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 05:32 AM UTC
Yes! Fantastic! These guys are definitely based on SS Aufklarüngs Kompanie 15, III Zug, SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 25 of the 12th SS. The gunner draws inspiration from Klaus Schuh and the ammo carrier is kind of a mix between Willie Boigk and Otto Funk. I just ordered Alpine’s 12th SS figure pair and their ‘Waffen SS Infantry Set’ for a future diorama set in Normandy. It’s always my favorite subject, late war warm weather German infantry and camo, but I’m beginning a U.S. Amor late ETO research bender. I’ll definitely pick these up.
taesung
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 08:10 AM UTC

Napolitano
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 06:33 PM UTC
Greetings
With all due respect to your company, I see that you have been doing the same figures recently !!! These figures were from the Dragon company, did you get the idea from them? Not long ago you released the grenadiers under the theme of Kharkov and now they are similar to HJ.
There are a lot of topics for work - doctors, signalmen, air forces ..
Can you lose inspiration?
I would like to see from you figures that they were in action.
Napolitano
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 09:51 PM UTC
I also want to add that the faces are the same, please make the faces different or how do you know how to make wounded heads in bandages !!

Are these two twin brothers?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 02:19 AM UTC
Another terrific -if similar- offering from premier figurine company Alpine. While I will undoubtedly lay my hands on these soon I couldn't help but notice their facial expressions: "Ya, vee are vaaay too cool for you" seems to be the general idea. Must be before the battle. Optional fatigue-etched faces for AFTER the battle would be a nice touch.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 02:46 AM UTC
I have already had this discussion with Taesung before, so I don't want to "beat a dead horse" so to speak.

His company makes a good profit from figures that, essentially, are designed for figure modelers, not armor and diorama modelers. The level of detail and the skill of execution are AMAZING, but for armor guys like myself (and others who have weighed in here), the poses are static and maybe even a bit lifeless. Nevertheless, these figures, properly painted, will put you in the running for a medal at figure shows and competitions IMO.

Alpine is a very successful company releasing these types of figures, so we need to "butt out" of their marketing decisions and stop finding fault with every Alpine announcement. Their figures aren't my cup of tea, and if you want more exciting poses, then find another company like Stalingrad or Soga, who are setting the bar for "dioramas in a box."

I have stopped criticizing Taesung for essentially doing what works in his market niche, and have nothing but respect for his talent and the way Alpine executes his sculptures.

The rest of y'all need to show a little more respect IMO.

Now let the howling and whining begin!
taesung
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thank you all for taking time to leave comments! Please allow me to share my thoughts.

As for covering different subjects, it's not my job to fill in the gaps left by other companies. There are reasons why certain subjects are not covered often.

Yes, there are many German MG gunners in this scale produced by Alpine and other companies. This is not because we, the sculptors & manufactures, are obsessed with MG42. For me, I make series of figures. That's why you see other Alpine sets in similar uniforms and poses. This set also is a sequel to a previous set. They are designed to go together to complete a scene.

As for the poses, I carefully look at what's being built & painted by modelers. The moment I noticed action posed figures are flooding the scene, I'll be there with my own offerings. Again, it's not my job to cater to a smaller market. The hobby itself is small enough.

As for the facial expression and features, they go with the poses naturally. Relaxed poses and relaxed faces. And if you think these 2 faces look alike, I must ask, "how have you been dealing with using the same replacement head sets past 2 decades or more?"

Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 08:34 AM UTC
I'm with Bill on this one. I have been on a binge of using Alpine tank crew figures to populate my tanks that have sat for years with empty hatches. I'm loving the quality of the figures and the results I'm getting.

Rather than second guess Taesung I'd rather ask if anyone besides me has trouble getting any brands figures to fit in the tank commanders hatches of recent Dragon offerings, more specifically their PZ 3 and PZ 4 kits? I love the kits, but the way the cupolas go together it leaves very little room for a figure to fit. Anyone else noticed this? I hate doing the surgery necessary to get these beautiful resin figures to fit.
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 04:36 PM UTC
Weighing in, Mr. Taesung is a great artist, his figures, his accessories are as good as any. Enjoy or let others do so.

I was amused by an interview of him where he stated he always tries to get Roger Saunders to sign a Hornet box for him at shows. Saunders is probably on to him by now.....
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 05:11 PM UTC
I’d like to chime in and add that, in my opinion, Alpine Miniatures produces some of the best 1/35 WW2 figures available. Now, this is just my opinion and speaking from my own experience, but the biggest complaint I have about figure poses and faces in combat roles is that many are over-exaggerated. Alpine Miniature’s figures don’t seem to have this problem. Dioramas are a snapshot of a scene and when I look at my own personal collection combat photos and vids I took, none of us are flinging ourselves around with dramatic arm and leg movements, a symptom I notice with some manufacturers I won’t name. I think that realistic action poses are hard to capture accurately. To tell you the truth, combat animation reminds me a lot of high school football (American); fit young men who have been wearing gear for hours exhaustedly running in short bursts. That’s just my opinion. I love the way Alpine’s figures capture that realistic tone of both combat poses and their casual ones with soldiers waiting around.
Napolitano
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hello ! I completely agree with you, but what I want to say is that with such skill on figures, we must move on, I would like to see doctors, pilots, sailors, civilians and other poses, and where does Stalingrad and Soga ??? This is a completely different company and a different quality and different performance ..
I'm talking about the fact that now I see only the same figures that are in the same line for sale and monotonous faces and figures and all ..
And the quality is of course excellent and no one wants to argue, dear friend.
Napolitano
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I’d like to chime in and add that, in my opinion, Alpine Miniatures produces some of the best 1/35 WW2 figures available. Now, this is just my opinion and speaking from my own experience, but the biggest complaint I have about figure poses and faces in combat roles is that many are over-exaggerated. Alpine Miniature’s figures don’t seem to have this problem. Dioramas are a snapshot of a scene and when I look at my own personal collection combat photos and vids I took, none of us are flinging ourselves around with dramatic arm and leg movements, a symptom I notice with some manufacturers I won’t name. I think that realistic action poses are hard to capture accurately. To tell you the truth, combat animation reminds me a lot of high school football (American); fit young men who have been wearing gear for hours exhaustedly running in short bursts. That’s just my opinion. I love the way Alpine’s figures capture that realistic tone of both combat poses and their casual ones with soldiers waiting around.

Hello!

There are different combat photos and people are depicted differently .. I repeat .. I’ve seen lately at Alpine the monotony in the designs and all ..
And of course the figures are excellent ..
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 07:57 PM UTC
As a webcomic creator might be qualified to answer the extreme action thing.

When depicting action in a still medium one of the best ways is to show the extreme point of the movement. It was put forward decades ago in the Historex notes on diorama building and figure posing in their catalog. It's also in most of your illustration "how-to " books.

So figure sculptors took it and ran with it. It's an artistic convention. You think artists and creators don't sit around and talk about this the way model builders talk about rivets and tank production minutiae?

Some of us are good at it too. You want to show action? Pose everything at the extreme point of movement. The piece will often seem to move.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When depicting action in a still medium one of the best ways is to show the extreme point of the movement. It was put forward decades ago in the Historex notes on diorama building and figure posing in their catalog. It's also in most of your illustration "how-to " books.

So figure sculptors took it and ran with it. It's an artistic convention. You think artists and creators don't sit around and talk about this the way model builders talk about rivets and tank production minutiae?

Some of us are good at it too. You want to show action? Pose everything at the extreme point of movement. The piece will often seem to move.

AGREED...

I'll pass on these two thugs...
taesung
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/06/two-new-35th-scale-figures-in-three.html?fbclid=IwAR07DfNTcpXcuu4x39ue9hct0I8WwGAPnWJ79gJ4bnmSS8cLosse3NruItE
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/06/two-new-35th-scale-figures-in-three.html?fbclid=IwAR07DfNTcpXcuu4x39ue9hct0I8WwGAPnWJ79gJ4bnmSS8cLosse3NruItE

Excellent and detailed review.

Good luck with these and your other figures.

For those who seem to wish to impart their knowledgeable business advice to Taesung, maybe its time to start your own figure business and show him how it's done as he's clearly unsuccessful and won't go very far
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I completely understand the concept of using extreme limb movement to depict action and intensity, I doubt there's any of us here who don't understand this. When it comes to accurately depicting combat scenes, I have to respectfully disagree with this method. I honestly think it's one of the worst ways of conveying action within a combat context. It can be done, but I think it risks breaking the cheapening the scene. When soldiers come under fire, the pucker factor is beyond words. I know you know this, and as a result, soldiers make themselves as compact and tight as possible, it's a natural and almost involuntary response to the supersonic cracks. You stuff yourself into your helmet. As far as limbs go, when running, human legs don't spend a lot of time at that apex extension of the stride, there'd be a lot more hyperextensions and breaks if we did. A model scene is a static snapshot just like a photo or painting, and this is why the majority of combat photos don't show that ridiculous arm and leg flailing some figs suffer from, bless their hearts. That tone may work for certain things but I don't think it could be further out of place than a diorama, that's just me. I've seen a few that end up being unintentionally funny due to that syndrome. I haven't seem a single Alpine figure that suffers from that Hollywood "get to the choppa" style exaggeration. having said all this, these are only my thoughts and above all else, everyone should build what they want, how they want and have fun. Above all else.

Napolitano
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Excellent and detailed review.

Good luck with these and your other figures.

For those who seem to wish to impart their knowledgeable business advice to Taesung, maybe its time to start your own figure business and show him how it's done as he's clearly unsuccessful and won't go very far

Tips will always be, we are buyers and we want to see new and not monotony !!

I write what I see lately monotony in the work and everything ..
There used to be figures that go, now Taesung makes a monotony in the rack ..
I want to see people sitting, walking, medics, pilots, sailors !!!
Is it bad when we buyers want to see something new ???? And we see that they are again in sorrow
Napolitano
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I completely understand the concept of using extreme limb movement to depict action and intensity, I doubt there's any of us here who don't understand this. When it comes to accurately depicting combat scenes, I have to respectfully disagree with this method. I honestly think it's one of the worst ways of conveying action within a combat context. It can be done, but I think it risks breaking the cheapening the scene. When soldiers come under fire, the pucker factor is beyond words. I know you know this, and as a result, soldiers make themselves as compact and tight as possible, it's a natural and almost involuntary response to the supersonic cracks. You stuff yourself into your helmet. As far as limbs go, when running, human legs don't spend a lot of time at that apex extension of the stride, there'd be a lot more hyperextensions and breaks if we did. A model scene is a static snapshot just like a photo or painting, and this is why the majority of combat photos don't show that ridiculous arm and leg flailing some figs suffer from, bless their hearts. That tone may work for certain things but I don't think it could be further out of place than a diorama, that's just me. I've seen a few that end up being unintentionally funny due to that syndrome. I haven't seem a single Alpine figure that suffers from that Hollywood "get to the choppa" style exaggeration. having said all this, these are only my thoughts and above all else, everyone should build what they want, how they want and have fun. Above all else.

I do not understand what you wanted to convey and many words dear friend !!

I will repeat if you are in a tank ??! I'm talking about the monotony in recent times at Taesung !!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As your response indicates, most modelers don't understand.

Don't worry, it's an art thing, that you have to often intuit. See it is not how it is but how to best represent it in the medium you've chosen. There's a difference between merely showing the audience and making the audience feel it. In a comic there are all kinds of visual tricks to use to make the reader feel motion. In a diorama, everything is static. You're depicting one moment and have to pack in there everything to convey that moment. You can't blur or show sequence so how best to feel the action? By depicting that brief split second when everything is at its extreme.

That's the stuff artists and creators discuss on their forums about this stuff. I'm told that I occasionally pull it off quite well.

I often block out an entire sequence and chose the one most extreme movement from the whole series, that best represents the whole series. Whether it's hiding, running, or whatever.

ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 09:02 PM UTC
The biggest problem I have had with Alpine figures over time is they have made 95% of other companies figures obsolete to me. Once you own a few Alpine figures its hard to go back to poorly cast, funny heads and just less detailed figures. Also the resin isn't brittle or snap/break like other companies figures including parts that are broken as soon as you look in the box

Alpines problem is that there is only one Taesung Harmms!! We are just lucky that Rosengrant pops up in the line every now and then as well

O did I mention the box art paint ups FFFFFFFFF!!!

If I was to point out the main flaw in Alpine figures...…………...its that few painters have the skill to match the skill of the sculptor
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I do not understand what you wanted to convey and many words dear friend !!

I will repeat if you are in a tank ??! I'm talking about the monotony in recent times at Taesung !!

Yeah, I wasn't talking to you, but thanks for playing.
 _GOTOTOP