_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Did Only The Marines Have Pershings In Korea?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 01:13 PM UTC
I ask because my books on armor during the Korean War show M26 tanks as belonging to the Marines. They were former Army tanks, so what is the story, only Marines got the Pershings, or what?
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I ask because my books on armor during the Korean War show M26 tanks as belonging to the Marines. They were former Army tanks, so what is the story, only Marines got the Pershings, or what?

The M-26 was used by both services in Korea. Al
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 04:46 PM UTC
Just one example (30 sec. Google image search )

M26 Pershing tanks and crews of US 73rd Heavy Tank Battalion, at Pusan Docks, Korea :

H.P.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As others said, the US Army also used the M26 Pershings in the early days of the defense of South Korea and the counterattack north in the fall/winter months of 1950.

A particularly unique story was that of the 70th Tank Battalion which deployed from Fort Knox with a single company of M26s, some which were monuments on post, and two companies of M4A3E8s. After the 8th (US) Army withdrawal from North Korea in late 1950, the battalion was reorganized as a M4A3E8 pure tank battalion.

During overall UN forces/8th (US) Army's reorganization in winter 1951, the M46 Patton tanks replaced the M26/M26A1s in both Army as well as USMC armor formations. Both the M46 and M4A3E8s were mechanically reliable and provided sufficient firepower to support ongoing infantry operations from 1951-1953, since the nKPA armor threat was eliminated and the CCF armor was never committed.

Hopefully some of the background info will help.

John
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As others said, the US Army also used the M26 Pershings in the early days of the defense of South Korea and the counterattack north in the fall/winter months of 1950.

A particularly unique story was that of the 70th Tank Battalion which deployed from Fort Knox with a single company of M26s, some which were monuments on post, and two companies of M4A3E8s. After the 8th (US) Army withdrawal from North Korea in late 1950, the battalion was reorganized as a M4A3E8 pure tank battalion.

During overall UN forces/8th (US) Army's reorganization in winter 1951, the M46 Patton tanks replaced the M26/M26A1s in both Army as well as USMC armor formations. Both the M46 and M4A3E8s were mechanically reliable and provided sufficient firepower to support ongoing infantry operations from 1951-1953, since the nKPA armor threat was eliminated and the CCF armor was never committed.

Hopefully some of the background info will help.

John

If you ever watched the World's Greatest Tank Battles, the one on Korea featured Bob Dillion. An Army guy, who's tank platoon broke the Pusan Pocket. He had a lot to say about tank warfare in Korea. Most wasn't pretty! Said we had two good tanks in Korea (m24 & m46), and the rest was cannon fodder.
The Army was the first to employ the m26, and later the Marines. Most Marine tanks came out of Army stockpiles in Germany, but the Army was getting tanks from Germany as well.
There is no current good kit of a Korean War m26, but many good starting point. There were a lot of small field mods made to them. Most noticeable was the travel lock. Bob said the used two or three different style tracks.
Gary
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 12:11 PM UTC
And I thought Hobby Boss Pershings were supposed to have been good.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And I thought Hobby Boss Pershings were supposed to have been good.

I would not take the statement "There is no current good kit of a Korean War m26, but many good starting point. There were a lot of small field mods made to them. Most noticeable was the travel lock." as meaning the HB kits are not good.

KL
 _GOTOTOP