_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Meng Merk 4 resin basket fit issues
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 01:33 PM UTC
Eric was saying in his Merkava 4 build that the Meng resin baskets did not fit. I have the Meng resin baskets in hand and the Meng Merkava 4 ordered. Does anyone else have this experience? It seems odd that Meng would make an expensive upgrade to their kit and it doesn't fit.
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hmmm...it would seem not. But more likely it is just me that had an issue. Perhaps I just got a bad casting or the resin was not allowed to fully set and degas before being package.

Or maybe no one else has used this product, which leads to an interesting question. How often do we model builders buy aftermarket stuff like this but then never really use it. That would make for an interesting marketing study (my wife is a Marketing Professor...that's why I think of stuff like that )
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC
Sort of like how long a kit sits in the stash before it gets built.
Spitfire54
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hi Eric,
been there..... The lower part of the resin basket fits ok - but when installed, the items which should go on the rear of the turret will not fit to theire attachment holes. The basket base seems to be to thick. I therefore shortened the affective parts. No problems to fit the ball chains. The problem is the upper part which does not fit very well.Careful sanding is required to get an somehow acceptable fit.Also the antenna mounts do not fit very well into the slots at the basket. So a little bit of rework is also required.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 11:48 AM UTC
I see where Meng has another basket set on preorder for $57 for the Merc 4. I wonder if it is more of the same or a fix.
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hey Greg I wasn't able to locate any info on this new basket for the Mk.4 could you post a link or PM it me please....Thanks
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 08:01 AM UTC
https://freetimehobbies.com/1-35-meng-israel-main-battle-tank-fully-loaded-rear-baskets-preorder/

I saw it on the Freetime Hobbies site
 _GOTOTOP