_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Worth purchasing this Sherman?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 05:21 AM UTC
https://www.italeri.com/en/prodotto/2820

It shows a Sherman with US tank riders, but is it not just a several decades old model?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 06:13 AM UTC

You can compare the sprues here:
https://www.super-hobby.com/products/M4-A1-Sherman.html

It looks as if they have changed the type of tracks, still rubber bands though ....

/ Robin

P.S. Do you want me to move this thread to Armorama: Armor/AFV instead?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi Robin,

Mange tak!
Yes, move it, please.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 11:00 AM UTC
This Sherman is a bit dated by current standards, and the Dragon M4A1 (Operation Cobra) might be a better choice, but this italeri offering is still a pretty fair kit if the price is right. The figures though are not original italeri figures, and if you look close they appear to be an "abbreviated" set of the latest "paratroop tank riders" offered by Masterbox or ICM or somebody (I can't remember who) but they are definitely paratroopers given the thigh pockets, and the civilian female figure (I think the original offering was a British M4A3 with American Paratroopers passing a civilian woman with a child). That's what it looks to me in the sprue shots. If the price is right, it might be a good value, but I'm not sure Paratroops got to ride these tanks as the Airborne units were withdrawn before Operation Cobra, And I don’t think it’s likely paratroops would have been found in the Mediterranean theater with this particular M4A1 76(W), a decal option in this new Italeri kit. Here's a link to the sprue shots over on "The Modeling News":
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/06/five-of-italeris-new-releases-in-our.html
VR, Russ
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 12:27 PM UTC
The figures are MB.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 05:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the info!
So only the 66 regiment version would be a correct combination with the troopers.
And Panda trracks as a replacement, I guess.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 06:41 PM UTC
The kit is some decades old but is not rubbish by any means and you can probably find used examples cheaply at shows etc..

Off the top of my head, the turret contours need beefing up with filler on the sides and the gun barrel has an odd and bogus step in it so worth replacing that. The roadwheel axle assemblies need to be cemented in position as otherwise they have an odd ‘walking beam’ appearance not consistent with the original. I don’t think the tools or machine guns were great either and then there are the usual detail issues like light and periscope guards, grab handles etc..
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 04:56 AM UTC
The figures could easily pass for regular US infantry in HBT trousers, field jackets. Most of the boots are double buckle.

These are Operation Market Garden airborne and had switched to traditional field jackets, over trousers and double buckle boots. Could just take off the pockets too.

Problem is what you're going to do with that British tank commander unless you do a Sherman IIA in Italy.

Why do they keep recycling the M4A1 76mm, when they have an M4A3 75mm and 76mm? Those might have fit better for a Battle of the Bulge theme.

By the way M4A1 76mm were in the Ardennes and there's at least picture of them with Airborne troops. All three US airborne divisions served so you're not stuck with Bastogne and the 101.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks as if they have changed the type of tracks, still rubber bands though ....

/ Robin

The tracks look like the ones that debuted with the Italeri M4A2 'Jumbo' (which wasn't a Jumbo) around 1989-90. They seem to be used more in their kits that use the welded hull.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

The tracks look like the ones that debuted with the Italeri M4A2 'Jumbo' (which wasn't a Jumbo) around 1989-90. They seem to be used more in their kits that use the welded hull.

Wasn't an M4A2 either but an M4A3. It didn't become a true M4A2 until the M4A2 Marines (only an insert for the engine deck but missing the M4A2 exhausts) and M4A2 Russian(finally added the exhausts) kits they did.

The new Italeri track is nice and soft and takes paint well. It glues easily with super glue.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 11:56 AM UTC
Like its stable mate, the M47 (in a similar current thread) this "decades old model" still holds up really well. Of all the scratch builds, conversions, and resin kits I've built over the years, this little kit still remains one of my favorites.

I took care of the step in the barrel myself.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 06:57 AM UTC
Asuka is releasing their M4A1 76 soon. About US$45 from the Hong Kong online shops. It’ll probably be the best one with the Tamiya M1 IDF version as second in quality and accuracy.

To me, only get this if price is the sole and major driving factor. I’ve given away several of the Italeri M4A1 kits in the past.
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 11:39 AM UTC
Those tracks remind me of the newer non extension Tamiya T54e1 tracks, I know the two companies have collaborated in the past. If as someone else stated in an earlier post that italeri is now making a soft track that takes glue well then perhaps they are simply using Tamiya tracks in their old kits?

It’s not a bad upgrade for an older kit that can still build into a very nice model. If the price is right, it might be worth buying this kit just for the decals and the figures alone, assuming the decals are all accurate
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Wasn't an M4A2 either but an M4A3. It didn't become a true M4A2 until the M4A2 Marines (only an insert for the engine deck but missing the M4A2 exhausts) and M4A2 Russian(finally added the exhausts) kits they did.

The new Italeri track is nice and soft and takes paint well. It glues easily with super glue.

That was Italeri trying to stretch variants out of their old and new molds. They also released the M36B1 Jackson at the same time which was just a new turret onto this M4A3 hull with the old M4A1 lower hull and the new, better tracks.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those tracks remind me of the newer non extension Tamiya T54e1 tracks, I know the two companies have collaborated in the past. If as someone else stated in an earlier post that italeri is now making a soft track that takes glue well then perhaps they are simply using Tamiya tracks in their old kits?

I was hoping the same but the Tamiya tracks are a touch softer and can be glued with model glue. The Italeri tracks can only be glued with super glue. But are less prone to snapping if flexed.

Have a Tamiya Pzkpfw IV J and the tracks were packaged wrapped around in the bottom of the box. Unwound them and *snap* Staples or needle and thread time.

To me a hull is a hull. I don't display my tanks upside down or even paint the underside. I kind of liked the Italeri M4A3 as it was s big improvement for me over the Tamiya one of the time.

Italeri has tweaked the molds on the 38(t) series, Chaffee and Pzkpfw IV why not the Sherman?

Why not fix the gun barrel and add some casting marks?

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 02:58 AM UTC
Life is too short to bother with these old kits unless you pick them up for $5 at a garage sale (or more likely, estate sale from a hoarder/modeler). Spend a little more and get the Asuka/Tasca Shermans.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Life is too short to bother with these old kits unless you pick them up for $5 at a garage sale (or more likely, estate sale from a hoarder/modeler). Spend a little more and get the Asuka/Tasca Shermans.

Life is too short eat nothing but instant ramen to afford the Tasca/Asuka Sherman's.

Having just finished the Italeri M4A3E8 "Fury" that I used the M4A1 kit to make an M4A1E8. It was fun and light.

Totally unlike the Dragon M4A3E8 105mm howitzer with all the assemblies similar to the Asuka. I want to cut my throat with my exacto knife than deal with the infinite parts count.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 08:23 AM UTC
To each his own, but FYI the Asuka Shermans run around $53 which is $10 more than the Italeri "Fury" kit. That's not too many meals of ramen.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Life is too short eat nothing but instant ramen to afford the Tasca/Asuka Sherman's.

Having just finished the Italeri M4A3E8 "Fury" that I used the M4A1 kit to make an M4A1E8. It was fun and light.

Totally unlike the Dragon M4A3E8 105mm howitzer with all the assemblies similar to the Asuka. I want to cut my throat with my exacto knife than deal with the infinite parts count.

Infinite Parts count?!? Try one of those INFERNAL MENG, RYE FIELD, OR TAKOM "Kitty-Panzers"!!! 1,000 + PARTS COUNTS for THOSE THINGS!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To each his own, but FYI the Asuka Shermans run around $53 which is $10 more than the Italeri "Fury" kit. That's not too many meals of ramen.

You've got THAT right, Bill!

What's a bag of "Ramen" cost, anymore? Close to $5.00 per, aren't they?

PS- I'm not "overly enamored" of ITALERI's Shermans, whatever their stripe or color... I'd rather DEAL with the older DRAGON M4A1 "Big Hatch" 76mm (Wet) "Operation COBRA" kit, but that one isn't anywhere near "perfect", either... It take quite a bit of "after-market" to bring that one "up to snuff", too...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why not fix the gun barrel and add some casting marks?

And that is exactly what I did, along with the aforementioned better tracks. I don't even remember what they came from, but for a $5.00 kit, I certainly got my enjoyment out of it back then.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Hi, Steve!

Aren't the ACADEMY and soon to be AIRFIX Shermans easier to deal with? All that's lacking is the "Big Hatch" (Wet) Hull, for SOME of the different versions..(?)
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to cut my throat with my exacto knife than deal with the infinite parts count.

I hear you. My era of the billion-parts kits was short. Now that I probably have only 10-20 years of modeling left, I want kits I can slap together that look okay, and have fun. Not to say I don't plan to build a few more big parts count kits but they will be selective, and not every single model.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My era of the billion-parts kits was short. Now that I probably have only 10-20 years of modeling left, I want kits I can slap together that look okay, and have fun.

Hi, Fred, we're probably on the same conveyor belt to eternity, but I prefer kits where the detail isn't sacrificed to buildability. Tamiya kits, for example, are just too over-simplified for me. The Asuka/Tasca Shermans are complicated because of things like their working suspensions, but the results are worth the extra effort.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

$10 ramen is a whole week.

Besides I got "Fury" for less than $30 and have never seen a Taska/Asuka kit that cheap.

On a general basis of comparison, I rate Sherman kits:
Tamiya, Italeri, Academy, Dragon Tasca/Asuka
Tasca/Asuka are definitive, they know it and cost accordingly.

All the others I can find deals on and even have a few Tamiya kits to soak up all the spares left over from Dragon and Academy kits. I built three E8 Shermans, one each from Academy, Italeri and Dragon and have enough parts to add all the periscopes and turret mg storage clips to four other kits.

My drivers can see with the hatch closed!

(Photoetch no longer being an option)
 _GOTOTOP