_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
A couple of the more interesting photos
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC
Apparently, during the Russo-Japanese War of 1939, the Japanese conscripted (or pressed) Koreans into their army. Many of these were captured by the Soviets and were given the choice of Gulag, or Soviet Army. They chose army. In the winter of 1941 - 42 Stalin re-inforced his fronts with over a million men from his Siberian armies; the Koreans were among them. During subsequent combat they were then captured by Germans, who eventually stationed them on the Atlantic Wall.

And now prisoners of the Allies. After serving in three armies, and battles, these guys were the ultimate survivors!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 03:44 AM UTC
Hi, Biggles!

just wondering where you might be getting these photos from..?

Old US Army Signal Corps photos, maybe..?

PS- The third photo down:

The American with that odd semi-circular marking (US Navy Beach Personnel Marking), on his helmet is no doubt a member of US Naval Intelligence...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 04:14 AM UTC
Originally US Signal Corps, but I downloaded them from a French site many, many years ago. That particular site is now defunct. I don't pretend to own these so download them to your own files if you want.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

just wondering where you might be getting these photos from..?

Old US Army Signal Corps photos, maybe..?

As I've said before, these pics are from the long gone Archives Normandie 1939-1945 website. Most of them are U.S. National Archives ones, along with british and canadian ones. You can find them online , often in hi-res version (https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnormandie/ )

..... But I don't want to pull the rug from under Biggles's feet

H.P.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 11:24 AM UTC
Well...I have been completely de-rugged! All "my" pics plus thousands more! ow I'll have to download these, too.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Apparently, during the Russo-Japanese War of 1939, the Japanese conscripted (or pressed) Koreans into their army. Many of these were captured by the Soviets and were given the choice of Gulag, or Soviet Army. They chose army. In the winter of 1941 - 42 Stalin re-inforced his fronts with over a million men from his Siberian armies; the Koreans were among them. During subsequent combat they were then captured by Germans, who eventually stationed them on the Atlantic Wall.

And now prisoners of the Allies. After serving in three armies, and battles, these guys were the ultimate survivors!

Isn't there a movie about those Koreans?
I have seen some YouTube clips with east-asian faces in German uniforms fighting om D-Day.
/ Robin
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Isn't there a movie about those Koreans?
I have seen some YouTube clips with east-asian faces in German uniforms fighting on D-Day.
/ Robin

Yes, the movie is called "My Way" and is very good. I bought it from the clearance bin at a closeout store for $3. It follows the lives of two boys; a Korean and a Japanese who were both runners and met when the Japanese boy's parent was a ruler in Korea.

He becomes an officer in the Japanese army fighting the Russians and the Korean boy is conscripted into the Japanese army. They are captured and put into a Soviet POW camp.

The two are forced to fight for the Russians. Then they get captured by the Germans and are part of the Atlantic Wall defense, getting captured by the Allies.

Incidentally, the Japanese man's last name is Hasegawa. It is based on a true story.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 02:59 AM UTC
Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 03:08 AM UTC
Looks like there's some controversy surrounding the identity of the Asian-looking man in Biggles's post second picture :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

H.P.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks!

It's available on Youtube and Amazon Prime for $1.99. I'd pass on my copy, but it would cost more than that to mail it.
 _GOTOTOP