_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: M1A2 SEP V2 Abrams
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 04:15 PM UTC

We announced Rye Field's new Abrams with interior in May. Now, along with some additional images of that particular release, we also have news on another Abrams version in the works by the same company.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Leopard-2
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 09:20 PM UTC
I welcome this although my wallet tells me not to even think about it.

I know that many may argue that there are too many Abrams kits on the market nowadays but the variety of options is just great.

- (relatively) reasonable with lesser parts and easy to build *check*
- kinda pricey with more parts, workable tracks, PE etc. *check*
- pricey with interiour and other gooddies *check*
- different variants of the real thing... *check* Okay, let's wait for the V3/A2D.

Just keep the effort and costs for scratch- or resin interiour in mind...
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 - 01:56 AM UTC
Wow! An Abrams with an interior! Can A Leopard 2 be far off?
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 - 06:29 AM UTC
I haven't done an RFM kit yet. I've got the M1 ABV on my To-Do list. Just haven't got around to it yet!

Working on my first Takom kit right now, the M9 ACE. I've only had one or two bouts with Tourette's Syndrome so far!

Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! An Abrams with an interior! Can A Leopard 2 be far off?

They already released "an Abrams" with an interior three years ago.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rye-field-model-rm-5007-m1a1-m1a2--1004296
BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 01:12 AM UTC
You can never have enough Abrams kits in your stash.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can never have enough Abrams kits in your stash.

...or enough Bradleys!

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...or enough Bradleys!

Yup, I wish Meng would come out with a few more versions. Up to date models with full interiors would be great. M2, M2A1, M2A2, M2A2 ODS, M3, M3A1, M3A2, M3A2 ODS, M7 BFIST, M6 Linebacker, etc...
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup, I wish Meng would come out with a few more versions. Up to date models with full interiors would be great. M2, M2A1, M2A2, M2A2 ODS, M3, M3A1, M3A2, M3A2 ODS, M7 BFIST, M6 Linebacker, etc...

Preach on, Brother Gino!!

I'd LOVE to see an M6 Linebacker! I kit bashed one once replacing the TOW launcher with a Stinger 4-pack from an old M998 Avenger kit. It would be nice to see what a proper one would look like.

Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...or enough Bradleys!

Lol, heck, I wish someone would do some modern Light Strike Vehicles and Fast Attack of Special Forces Vehicles like the Flyer 60 and 72, Polaris DAGOR, USMC M1161, Polaris MRZR, AGMV 1.1, modern Land Rover, Jackal, Coyote, etc. Forget the SEAL DPV...that's outdated and mothballed again.

It's like this entire LSV and FAV modern vehicle market has almost never been tackled before in plastic for some strange reason. The MENG Technicals stopped after a while (no Tacoma or F-350) and the most modern 1/35 plastic FAV is the Ranger Special Operations Land Rover which is outdated and no longer used now.

Modern LSVs and FAVs in plastic...I mean how hard can it really be to make one or them?
warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 10:48 AM UTC
I remember when we use to think that the Dragon M1A1 AIM kit was expensive. I do wonder if they are just throwing some parts from their other kists in a box and calling it new. Anybody notice that the box says "workable torsion bars" but the kit comes with solid track sections?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 02:33 PM UTC
Finally someone minds us exercise vehicle builders and includes a CVTESS and MGSS.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi, All!

So guys, has anyone gotten hold of the new VOIIO M1A2 SEP V2 to compare to this new RYE FIELD Abrams..? I'm curious as to how they stack up against each other, kit for kit...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I welcome this although my wallet tells me not to even think about it.

I know that many may argue that there are too many Abrams kits on the market nowadays but the variety of options is just great.

- (relatively) reasonable with lesser parts and easy to build *check*
- kinda pricey with more parts, workable tracks, PE etc. *check*
- pricey with interiour and other gooddies *check*
- different variants of the real thing... *check* Okay, let's wait for the V3/A2D.

Just keep the effort and costs for scratch- or resin interiour in mind...

Oh, wait! There are INNUMERABLE Panther and Tiger I & II kits on the market from virtually every manufacturer of 1/35 kits on the market, with and without interiors, and with only the most minor differences between them. And Pz.IIIs and -IVs..? Let's face it, Abrams kits are proving to be very popular on the market. Conversely, look at all of the post-war Soviet-era and Russian Armor & Soft-skins that are available, today. Merkavas, & Leos. We DO however, need some serious up-dated Challengers...

The advent of all of these different Abrams kits, I think, is entirely justified, however bewildering the choices may be for the novice. I agree that we can use the V3/A2D in addition to the growing pile. I would gladly get in line for one of those!!!

The various other US war-machines that were mentioned in the previous posts in this thread are perfectly viable subject matter for the modern 1/35 arena...
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So guys, has anyone gotten hold of the new VOIIO M1A2 SEP V2 to compare to this new RYE FIELD Abrams..? I'm curious as to how they stack up against each other, kit for kit...

A similar question from me. This kit has been out for a couple of months now but I have not seen any reviews yet. Anyone built this kit? How does it compare to Academy and Dragon SEP V2s?

Btw, we have yet to see the USMC M1A1 version with Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station (SCWS).
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A similar question from me. This kit has been out for a couple of months now but I have not seen any reviews yet. Anyone built this kit? How does it compare to Academy and Dragon SEP V2s?

Btw, we have yet to see the USMC M1A1 version with Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station (SCWS) yet.

Vodnik did a detailed comparison.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 06:44 AM UTC
His article doesn't have any information on the VOIIO kit.

Sean
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sean

Perhaps you can do your own homework combining Andy's review and Vodnik's assessments. Why did I even bother replying.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sean

Perhaps you can do your own homework combining Andy's review and Vodnik's assessments. Why did I even bother replying.

Thanks for the link to Andy's review. VOIIO kit doesn't look good.
Anyway, I read Vonik's review 2 years ago, which is not completely relevant to my question. That was not exactly what I was asking - what I want to know is the quality/accuracy of "new parts" in RFM's SEP V2 version specifically as compared to SEP V2 parts in Academy and Dragon's - I am familiar with the latter two.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...or enough Bradleys!

And a M992
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, I read Vonik's review 2 years ago, which is not completely relevant to my question. That was not exactly what I was asking - what I want to know is the quality/accuracy of "new parts" in RFM's SEP V2 version specifically as compared to SEP V2 parts in Academy and Dragon's - I am familiar with the latter two.

For my sins, I have all four. I don't have time to do a detailed comparison review, but here's a quick impression.

1. The Dragon kit is the worst. The base M1A2 is as nice as ever, but the V2-specific parts are 'Black Label' with many missing details. You can do better.

2. The Academy kit is beautifully engineered and very accurate, although no slide-molded lower hull and it does have a number of ejector pins to fill and (depending on the version you get) rubber band tracks. Great value overall though.

3. The Rye kit is very good and has the bonus that it comes with simulator/training material. Accuracy-wise a notch below Academy and the new parts have a lot of knock-out pins. Link and length tracks rather than indy-link. But still a very nice kit.

4. The Voiio kit is just beautiful. Highly accurate, beautiful engineering and surface detail. There's a minor goof with the sprocket hubs and not everybody will like the rubber band tracks, but overall it might be the best of the bunch.

Big disclaimer - all these are in my stash, so no comment on how they build.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Anyway, what I want to know is the quality/accuracy of "new parts" in RFM's SEP V2 version specifically as compared to SEP V2 parts in Academy and Dragon's - I am familiar with the latter two.

For my sins, I have all four. I don't have time to do a detailed comparison review, but here's a quick impression.

1. The Dragon kit is the worst. The base M1A2 is as nice as ever, but the V2-specific parts are 'Black Label' with many missing details. You can do better.

2. The Academy kit is beautifully engineered and very accurate, although no slide-molded lower hull and it does have a number of ejector pins to fill and (depending on the version you get) rubber band tracks. Great value overall though.

3. The Rye kit is very good and has the bonus that it comes with simulator/training material. Accuracy-wise a notch below Academy and the new parts have a lot of knock-out pins. Link and length tracks rather than indy-link. But still a very nice kit.

4. The Voiio kit is just beautiful. Highly accurate, beautiful engineering and surface detail. There's a minor goof with the sprocket hubs and not everybody will like the rubber band tracks, but overall it might be the best of the bunch.

Big disclaimer - all these are in my stash, so no comment on how they build.

Appreciate the quick review, Ed! Based on your comment, it seems Academy one is still the most accurate one. Their newer version (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-13504-m1a2-abrams-sep-v2-tusk-ii--1117527) even includes superb DEF indi tracks.
As to the accuracy of VOIID kit, bad sprocket hub detail, inaccurate track horns, and hub caps (as wrongly pointed out in Andy's review) are deal killers for me.

How did RFM kit do for the clear hub caps?
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hi James - RFM includes the new style hubcaps in clear plastic as well as the older style used in their other Abrams kits.
 _GOTOTOP