_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya M1 Super Sherman vs. M4A1 76mm
ubermensche
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 - 03:36 PM UTC
Not sure if this should be under IDF or Allied WW2 but anyways. I was wondering if, apart from decals, the Tamiya M1 Super Sherman (kit #35322) could be built as an American M4A1 76mm considering how well...it's pretty much an M4A1 with a 76mm gun in a T23 turret (I think it's the T23? Correct me if I'm wrong).

I guess in other words, I'm really asking how I can build the Israeli M1 into a USA WW2 ETO M4A1 76mm or if I could do it without an absurd amount of modifications.

Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 - 05:39 PM UTC
Not an expert by any means, but it could be dead on. I purchased this same model to build as an American tank.

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tamiya/tam35322.html
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 - 06:14 PM UTC
[quote]Not sure if this should be under IDF or Allied WW2 but anyways. I was wondering if, apart from decals, the Tamiya M1 Super Sherman (kit #35322) could be built as an American M4A1 76mm considering how well...it's pretty much an M4A1 with a 76mm gun in a T23 turret (I think it's the T23? Correct me if I'm wrong).

I guess in other words, I'm really asking how I can build the Israeli M1 into a USA WW2 ETO M4A1 76mm or if I could do it without an absurd amount of modifications.

[/quote
Leave off the cover over the siren guard, that was an IDF addition. The kit could depict one of the limited number of late M4A1 (76) w delivered to the ETO in 1945. They had the late turret with small loader's hatch and muzzle brake on the 76 mm gun.
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 - 07:41 PM UTC
What Gerald said, the book “Tanks for the memories” has a few pictures of these late M4A1s in their unit (741st TB?)

However, if you want to build it as an “operation cobra” version you’ll need a different early loader split hatch T-23 turret without the rear vent and with the early 76mm (no thread protector or MB) gun. The hull I think could be used as is without modifications for Cobra, I’m not 100% on that but am certain I read that on a different thread somewhere.

Yes, it can definitely be used as a WW2 tank OOTB with different decals as long as it’s a late war version.

EDIT: just looked up the book and it was the 712th TB and the book is by Aaron C. Elson. I can’t find my copy but I remember seeing several M4A1s like the ones that Gerald described in that book. An M4a1 with a MB is not something you see many older publications, but certainly more pictures of late M4A1 tanks have been published in the last decade or so
ubermensche
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Leave off the cover over the siren guard, that was an IDF addition. The kit could depict one of the limited number of late M4A1 (76) w delivered to the ETO in 1945. They had the late turret with small loader's hatch and muzzle brake on the 76 mm gun.

Ahh ok. I was thinking of doing a Cobra M4A1(76)W.

Oh well, so how is the Dragon kit? Or should I wait for Asuka/Tasca?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ahh ok. I was thinking of doing a Cobra M4A1(76)W.

Oh well, so how is the Dragon kit? Or should I wait for Asuka/Tasca?

Wait for the Asuka/Tasca.

Better suspension and turret than the Dragon kit as the Dragon kit is about halfway through their Sherman kit development.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 01:16 AM UTC
Not tamiya’s best kit-
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tamiya/tam35322.html
Dan
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 03:32 AM UTC
[/quote] Ahh ok. I was thinking of doing a Cobra M4A1(76)W.

Oh well, so how is the Dragon kit? Or should I wait for Asuka/Tasca? [/quote]

The not yet released Asuka also has a late turret:(

So, OOTB it’s the same situation as the Tamiya. You’ll still need an early turret from aftermarket or you can make an acceptable one using DML parts.

So Asuka or Tamiya it’s going to come down to hull preference, symetrical casting or assymetrical casting and also price because the turret is wrong on both of them for Cobra.

If you don’t care about being super accurate you can always use both OOTB by simply using a smooth barrel without thread protector or MB, most people would never know the difference

EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t mean to ignore your DML question. The Dragon kit if found at a reasonable price ($27-30 bucks) can make a decent cobra tank plus it comes with some decals for that campaign. BUT, it has some issues on the hull, the area in the front between driver and co-driver hoods is not properly shaped, it has some of the fit issues with the FDA, and you still have to modfy the turret to get it 100% accurate for Cobra.

Find a cheap DML cobra kit and order a hull sprue from Tamiya for $5-6 bucks?
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 04:24 AM UTC
This is helpful about the early T23 turrets-
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1largehatches/m4a1_largehatches.html

Dan
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 09:23 AM UTC

The Tamiya M51 wasn’t much better.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 12:28 AM UTC
If you want to go the Asuka route, check their on-line store, they sell both versions of the T23 turret and they ship pretty quickly in my experience. You can easily swap out the turret, if Asuka holds true to form then the parts you need to fit it out will be in the box already.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya M51 wasn’t much better.

With much less excuse because it was a totally new mold unlike the M4A1 which was a new cast hull and turret on a 1981 hull and suspension.

Wonder if Tamiya will use the new tool suspension bits from their M10 to update any of their older Sherman VVSS kits. They've tweaked them once already with revised turrets. Reissue them again with the new suspension and people will line up around the block for the same plastic with a new do-hickie in it. Finally getting in the ballpark with a kit that could have been right from the beginning.

You know the Italeri M4A1 is a better starting point for a Cobra Sherman than the Tamiya. Just needs some details thinned down and a new gun barrel.

Especially the new release with the tank riders? Sand off the hip pockets and you have a crew of guys in 1944 uniforms. Operation Cobra in a box. Nah, it's Italeri, evil despicable Italeri. A really lackluster undetailed Tamiya is always superior to a really good well detailed Italeri.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi, People!

Just got my latest LUCKY MODEL e-flier in my computer's mailbox TODAY (6-15-19)... New 1/35 M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" kit and ASUKA's M4A1 76mm (Wet), BOTH available as "PRE-ORDER" items. Prices are halfway decent, plus shipping, of course... ASUKA's M4A1 76mm (Wet) will of course, be ready for an "Operation Cobra" Sherman permutation, if one so desires...

I imagine that certain (cheaper..?), Ebay vendors will follow suit. Just thought you guys would have liked to know...
 _GOTOTOP