_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: Jagdpanzer IV L/70(V) (2 in 1)
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 11:07 AM UTC

Dragon is releasing a superb 2-in-1 kit of Jagdpanzer IV tank destroyer, allowing to be built with or without zimmerit.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 03:01 AM UTC
One thing I liked when Dragon really started to take off was they started giving you a metal barrel in their kits. It was one of the reasons a started buying them over Tamiya kits. They seem to have stopped this now and offer these 2in1 instead that dont really interest me as you are only going to build it one of the ways in the end
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 04:38 AM UTC
The metal barrel is easy enough to come by as an AM item. I like the option of the Zim. Is it a decal or resin?
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The metal barrel is easy enough to come by as an AM item. I like the option of the Zim. Is it a decal or resin?

Hey Bill!

I’m not certain about how the zimm is included if that’s what you mean. I’d imagine they will include key parts with both zimmerit and ones without zimmerit like they did with the later Pz.kpfw.IV Ausf H kits. . This creates a large part count and some sweet spare key parts. If I misunderstood your question I apologize.

It’s nice they give the builder the option here but I imagine the price will be up there. I believe they’ll also include parts for the builder to choose between early and late versions, like the 2 front wheels being all steel to accommodate the additional weight of the gun rather than the usual rubber rimmed Pz.IV wheels. I believe they began the actual production of the Jagdpanzer IV L/70 in August 1944 and the Germans quit applying zimmerit in September 1944, so, there’s about a month’s worth of production that has it. I think these zimm versions work for the end and immediate aftermath of Bagration, Hungary, Warsaw, Courland, and the Baltic Offensive. . I know there’s more where the zimm covered L/70’s showed up but I’m way behind on research. Years back I built Dragon #6589 zimm covered L/70 and was bummed I couldn’t find any place for it in Normandy. The one I spotted belonging to the Pz.Jg.Abt 228 116th Panzer Division “Windhund” was actually an L/48 with the muzzle brake removed and photographed from the front so you couldn’t tell how long the barrel was or see the wheels. Thanks for the news!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 07:39 AM UTC
Dragon does do a nice Jagdpanzer,I have now done three variants and enjoyed all of them.They fid have MT's though.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most likely the parts needing zim are duplicated with those specific parts from later kits as was pointed out re: their Pz IV kits. It seems Dragon are consolidating kits into multi-variant boxes so all they need is to take a base kit and throw in the new sprues that they made for the releases that were all very similar. In a way it helps them get rid of the sprues for the variants that didn't sell as well, but since you need to buy another kit to build a variant you end up with even more extra junk for the spares box.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 10:47 AM UTC
Yes, that's exactly how they'll do it: supply the regular kit as well as the necessary parts that will be supplied with the Zimmerit molded on and the builder decides which version to use; and yes, then you end up with significant extras in terms of major body parts either with or without Zimmerit. Oh well. I use the extras to upgrade other, older kits so I'm not complaining except that it -undoubtedly- drives up the price of kits and powers Dragon's profit margin while they do little more than add a dollar's-worth of styrene. Kits are rapidly becoming absurdly expensive with new Dragon releases typically exceeding a hundred dollars here in Canada and it seems that, amid this "Golden Age" the manufacturers are recognizing OUR increasing age and are out to throttle the golden goose before our ever-advancing age puts an end to model building as we currently know it. The average age of the people in my IPMS chapter has got to be the high end of 50 and I doubt that many of them will be building (or buying, for that matter) in ten years. The Golden Age is steadily encroaching on the Grey Age. Amen.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 12:34 PM UTC
Yes in Aus some of the Dragon kits are over the $100AUS in the shops and well, when I look how how much cheaper the Meng kits are I normally turn to them or Takom.
This kit would be more tempting if I didn't have the new Tamiya one sitting in my stash.
Also a bit scared off by talk of the tracks falling apart
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 04:39 PM UTC
I picked-up the Jagdpanther G1 2 in 1 kit earlier this year. I only paid $49 for it from Hobbysearch. You can get the original G1 kit (6458) for $61 and the G1 w/ zimmerit (6494) for $65. Neither of the original G1 kits included a metal barrel or magic tracks.

The 2 in 1 kit is basically the original 6458 kit with the zimmerit parts from kit 6494. So, for less money, you get the original kit with extra parts.

I would expect that this L/70(V) kit will follow the same formula.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes in Aus some of the Dragon kits are over the $100AUS in the shops and well, when I look how how much cheaper the Meng kits are I normally turn to them or Takom.
This kit would be more tempting if I didn't have the new Tamiya one sitting in my stash.

I just found that the DS Tracks from my Dragon Sherman Firefly got stiff and broke, not mentioning the oily residue they produce. This happened with Panther G tracks also
So, no thanks, and they are way overpriced compared to other companies.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 08:13 PM UTC
With two lower hulls, I'm thinking theres parts for the four return roller version with zimmerit and the three return roller without zimmerit. As well as the exhaust difference and steel road wheels this allows all the L/70 variants to be done.

So it has features above and beyond the Tamiya and a price point to match?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I just found that the DS Tracks from my Dragon Sherman Firefly got stiff and broke, not mentioning the oily residue they produce. This happened with Panther G tracks also
So, no thanks, and they are way overpriced compared to other companies.

Other than Tamiya, who else is making any version of Jgpz IV in 1/35?
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 - 11:13 AM UTC
I may get this as I would love to have a late model Jagdpanzer IV late from Vomag. I'll toss the DS BS and use some late workable tracks from my stash.

Chris
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With two lower hulls, I'm thinking theres parts for the four return roller version with zimmerit and the three return roller without zimmerit. As well as the exhaust difference and steel road wheels this allows all the L/70 variants to be done.

Almost all. The final Panzer IV 70 V deliveries had a solid gun travel lock, and the roof panel had bolts surrounding the commander's and loader's hatches, and they had the segmented track for the curved gunsight sliding cover (as seen on the Panzer IV 70 A version). Some were also delivered without the standoff armor protecting the engine deck.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 - 01:18 PM UTC
I have a Hobby Boss Jagdpanzer 1V/70(A) in the stash. Having said that I made the Tamiya kit earlier this year and found it to be excellent.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 - 09:58 PM UTC
Thank You, Carlos! Hi, All!

The only thing I'm going to say is that DRAGON chooses to be consistently inconsistent when it come to including "MAGIC" Tracks or "DS" Tracks in their 1/35 Armor kits, which is a "turn-off" for many potential buyers. DRAGON NEEDS to get rid of "DS" Tracks and Tires, period... Complaining about "DS" on this site is not only needlessly repetitive, but it will also do no good at all to do so... I say this because an earlier "I HATE 'DS' Tracks"-type thread was reopened YET AGAIN...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 12:47 AM UTC
Some of us seek some sort of validation and consolation by sharing our experiences with others. Don't feel quite so alone.

This can be a lonely hobby. It's good to.hear others are having the same problems or that there might be a way around it without spending more money. Though there is AM Pzkpfw IV track is among the cheapest.

If I ever get through my other two kits of this vehicle, this could be the third.
 _GOTOTOP