_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Why are most MRAPs hub caps dark?
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 04:15 PM UTC
Most of the pics of M-ATVs and L-ATVs I see on the internet have black hubcaps, although a few that I have seen have hub caps the same color as the body. Is there a special reason for this?
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of the pics of M-ATVs and L-ATVs I see on the internet have black hubcaps, although a few that I have seen have hub caps the same color as the body. Is there a special reason for this?

Hey Chuck!
While I can’t say why most are black now, I know for a fact I saw some M-ATV’s with both green and tan rims and caps overseas. I can see them in my mind now, but I’ll try to find some in my photos.

Edit: I also remember RG-31’s and Buffalos’ with tan wheels. I remember some EOD equipment needing to be painted darker so that any fragmentation and splash damage would be easier to spot, this could be the reason for the black rims and caps.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 07:03 PM UTC
I know M1As hubs are "black" due to the lube inspection windows in the hubs. Same thing?
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 05:01 AM UTC
Nope, not the same thing... Wheeled vehicle rims are painted, where the M1 series tank's roadwheel hubs are transparent and look black due to the lubrication oil inside.

The same is/was true for sand & NATO-Flage painted HWMMVs - black wheel rims. Its probably due to something in the purchase & spare parts contract that wheels will be interchangeable between camouflage schemes. Black works with both as dust & mud will color the rims during the vehicle's movement.

Just my $0.02

John
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nope, not the same thing... Wheeled vehicle rims are painted, where the M1 series tank's roadwheel hubs are transparent and look black due to the lubrication oil inside.

The same is/was true for sand & NATO-Flage painted HWMMVs - black wheel rims. Its probably due to something in the purchase & spare parts contract that wheels will be interchangeable between camouflage schemes. Black works with both as dust & mud will color the rims during the vehicle's movement.

Just my $0.02

John

Most correct in your post!
Glt
 _GOTOTOP