_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya's Old 1/35 Pershing
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 11:29 PM UTC
I had originally decided to depict a Korean War Pershing with the Hobby Boss kit, but changed my mind and decided to use the Tamiya kit-perhaps not as good, but defini8tely looks more like the WW2 version which is my idea. Trouble is, I wish I could find replacements for the rubber band tracks. Any that aren't metal?
Removed by original poster on 06/20/19 - 11:57:17 (GMT).
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 12:15 AM UTC
AFV-Club have T80E1 and T84E1 tracks ....
Bronco have T80E1 ...
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 01:01 AM UTC

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 01:08 AM UTC
Bronco makes both T80E1 and T84E1 tracks in plastic.

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 01:12 AM UTC
The AFV tracks are apparently too wide for the TAMIYA sprocket,
you will need to add a spacer to get them to fit correctly.

Info from this Armorama post:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/29271&page=1
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had originally decided to depict a Korean War Pershing with the Hobby Boss kit, but changed my mind and decided to use the Tamiya kit-perhaps not as good, but defini8tely looks more like the WW2 version which is my idea. Trouble is, I wish I could find replacements for the rubber band tracks. Any that aren't metal?

TAMIYA's Pershing..? OLD???
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 02:28 AM UTC
2002, not recent, that's for sure
beerbryan11
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 02:45 AM UTC
the kit builds easy and looks great, But the only issue I had was with the working suspension for the road wheels. It was toy like and cant not handle the weight of the Fuirlmodel metal tracks. I had to glue all of the road wheel arms in place.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Everything is relative y'know
Old for me is before 1984. Anything made in this millenium is definitely not old.
/ Robin
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Old for me is before 1984. Anything made in this millenium is definitely not old.
/ Robin

It's only a teenager, not old!

There are photos of Pershings in Korea in 1950 with the T81 track and the World War 2 configuration. WW2 Productions makes track to fit the Tamiya.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

There are photos of Pershings in Korea in 1950 with the T81 track and the World War 2 configuration. WW2 Productions makes track to fit the Tamiya.

I suppose not old compared to their Willys Jeep.

But I deliberately want the original style track without the rubber pads. If I remember correctly, all the Pershings which actually fought in World War Two had these old tracks, at least from the pictures I've seen.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 10:16 AM UTC
Tom, if I understand you correct you are asking about a non-metal alternative for the Tamiya vinyl early single pin tracks used on the T26E3s (WWII) and early on some Korea vehicles. The only ones that comes to mind are the plastic link-by-link tracks included in Dragons T26E3 (no. 6032) as well as in their later double box T26E2/M26A1 (no. 9107). I'm pretty sure these are non-workable. You may be lucky finding somebody with left over tracks from their build. The double box also came with DS double pin metal pad tracks.

Besides those, the only single pin tracks I can think of are the metal ones from MasterClub, Fruil and Spade Ace.

Cheers,
/E
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 11:39 AM UTC
I suppose I can always wait. You never know what the modelling companies will turn out. Such as an actual drop-in Barrel for the Tamiya Pershing (by Aber)>
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You made me laugh here and I agree, I can’t think of the Tamiya pershing as old —even with the hobby boss kits out there. Anything late 1990’s to me has been designed by computers, so accuracy and fit have gone up even if in some cases the research is lacking or business decisions, laziness, indifference or incompetence get in the way of putting out the best versions of kits possible (i.e. dml Shermans)
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

*sigh*
I think of that as their NEW Jeep kit. Tamiya went on a kick and made new versions of their really old Jeep, Kubelwagen, and Schwimmwagen. Thought for sure we'd see a new SAS Jeep but they didn't do for some odd reason.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

*sigh*
I think of that as their NEW Jeep kit. Tamiya went on a kick and made new versions of their really old Jeep, Kubelwagen, and Schwimmwagen. Thought for sure we'd see a new SAS Jeep but they didn't do for some odd reason.

Another sprue for the guns, jerry cans, etc, would not fit in their standard size box Gary

You could say that about a lot of Tamiya models; why they did not branch out into variants?

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 09:11 PM UTC
The single pin all metal track are the T81. They're made in metal by several companies, Dragon and Hobbyboss Pershing kits have plastic link-link track in them. There's also a couple of resin sets like the one I mentioned. WW2 productions which I found on the PMMS site through a Google search for "T81 track"
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 09:49 PM UTC
WWII Productions are out of business. Their moulds are now owned by GTG Resin. MasterClub have just launched their own version of T81 in metal.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

But I deliberately want the original style track without the rubber pads. If I remember correctly, all the Pershings which actually fought in World War Two had these old tracks, at least from the pictures I've seen.

I'LL tell you guys what's OLD-

ME!!! I'm your basic 24 January, 1953-model!!!

I can remember "putting together" (HA!) the OLD AURORA 1/48 M46 "Patton" kit- (circa 1961) THAT I, believe, was my very first model-Tank. What a mess! Flash? You bet! Mold-release gunk? Guilty! Badly-proportioned parts? Uh, yeah.

Not much fit properly in that kit, especially the Tracks! WHAT a BATTLE that model was!!! AURORA won...

Some of you old "cavemen" (myself included) may remember what absolute GARBAGE the majority of the old 1/48 AURORA Tracks were. Some of you younger (read: spoiled) people will probably never appreciate the following, but here goes:

1/48 AURORA Tracks: they split into individual pieces, they were impossible to glue, required a heated screwdriver blade to melt the attachment pins, were improperly cast, representing some REALLY imaginary designs, they were unwieldy and ridiculously stiff, stapling them together was an exercise in frustration- No go... I finally tried to SEW them together. What I wound up with was bleeding fingers... AURORA's 1/48 "Panther" kit was no better... Their 1/48 "King Tiger" had more flexible Tracks, but they didn't fit, either. They were completely misshapen, no doubt from an improper heat setting in the molding machine... (sigh)

Finally, had to be 1962 or 1963, I bought AURORA's 1/48 Japanese "Medium Tank", which was actually a Type 97 CHI-HA. This was a MUCH nicer kit, which went together surprisingly easily, and it even looked like a CHI-HA. The Tracks, of course, were the "rubber-band"-type, but at least they were manageable, went together nicely, and best of all, they actually FIT the model, which was a lot better than could be said of the old, old, old (circa 1967, or so) TAMIYA and NITTO ?/?? scale armor...

You guys have NO IDEA of how good you have it, today...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

*sigh*

Another sprue for the guns, jerry cans, etc, would not fit in their standard size box Gary

You could say that about a lot of Tamiya models; why they did not branch out into variants?

TAMIYA seems to have a penchant for doing that. They'll do a subject or a pair of subjects that go over really well, and then, they leave the modelers hanging by not coming out with a lot of the other variants of same. I don't know why exactly, but it probably has a lot to do with company-economics. Perhaps an extra sprue or two added to the basic kit(s) just aren't worth the time, effort or money...
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 11:59 PM UTC
Well, they have had a Nashorn for some time now, now they are launching the Hummel. The same goes to their Gamma goat
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 - 12:59 AM UTC
Tamiya is notorious for not doing what you would think is an obvious variation on their preexisting kits.

Once they did during the otherwise lean years of the late 1980s with a few "just one sprue" kits. The T-34 cntz, T-34/85, Shinto Chi-Ha and M4A3E2 Jumbo.

But they had taken shortcuts.

Made them leery of doing variants.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 - 01:21 AM UTC
Dennis, such memories. The Aurora M46? Try the 1/32 Lindberg M46. Same vintage and it had parts sort of like the real thing but that turret required a tube of putty and some reshaping. The tracks were some sort of gummy soft rubber and it's still in issue today.

That Aurora Panther which mixed A and G features in a blender and had the curved on turret sides, but was retooled in 1977 with not half bad zimmerit! It also appeared in 1/87 for their Anzio and Rat Patrol sets.

The M109, also retooled as an A1 in 1977 with the long gun was Aurora's last armor kit. They did tool an Honest John launcher but it was never released. Monogram had the molds and reissued the Sherman and Pangher in the 1980s. They were probably among the molds bought by Atlantis.

They may see the light of day again.

Along with the most unrepresentative armor kits of all time? The guess your best Aurora JS-3 and Revell 1/40 T-34?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dennis, such memories. The Aurora M46? Try the 1/32 Lindberg M46. Same vintage and it had parts sort of like the real thing but that turret required a tube of putty and some reshaping. The tracks were some sort of gummy soft rubber and it's still in issue today.

That Aurora Panther which mixed A and G features in a blender and had the curved on turret sides, but was retooled in 1977 with not half bad zimmerit! It also appeared in 1/87 for their Anzio and Rat Patrol sets.

The M109, also retooled as an A1 in 1977 with the long gun was Aurora's last armor kit. They did tool an Honest John launcher but it was never released. Monogram had the molds and reissued the Sherman and Pangher in the 1980s. They were probably among the molds bought by Atlantis.

They may see the light of day again.

Along with the most unrepresentative armor kits of all time? The guess your best Aurora JS-3 and Revell 1/40 T-34?

Hi, Steve!

Impossible kits- have you ever tried the old 1/32(?) RENWALL US Army Anti-Aircraft Gun? 76mm, I think it was... I cringe when I remember that one! "Goon Army" Crew members...

Re: The AURORA JS-3 and REVELL T-34/85. I had both of THOSE OLD DINOSAURS! I got them right around the time of my 8th birthday, when I also got the 1/40 REVELL M4 H/S Artillery Tractor & 155mm "Long Tom" combo kit, and an AURORA 1/48 WWI Albatross Biplane kit- Talk about memories!!! I got had the original REVELL 1/252(?) USS OLYMPIA for Christmas in the same year... By this time, my parents realized that building models was NOT going to be a "passing phase" for me...

Speaking of ATLANTIS- They recently re-released the old AURORA 1/48 H-25 "Army Mule"/US NAVY-US MARINES HUP-2 kit. Talk about CRUDE!!!
 _GOTOTOP