Hosted by Darren Baker
Ace 1/72 Centurion
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 02:15 AM UTC
Finally finished. It's a last generation-engineered kit, but goes together pretty well, and has well-defined detail. The only problem was the sprue with wheels was slightly mis-molded with all the parts misaligned. I fixed up whatever showed and hid the rest behind the skirt shields. The tracks were an un-glueable elastic band type which would have been much better as link-and-length - but I used what I had.
This represents a Centurion Mk lll on maneuvers circa 1950:

Comments?
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 11:57 AM UTC
A nice, subtle, comprehensive finish, and a superfine aerial. The tracks also look good, despite being bands, and can't see any evidence of the issues you had with the wheels.

Maybe the commander needs a bit of matt varnish to flatten down the shine.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 02:14 AM UTC
I discovered a new source for antennas - the bristles from a paintbrush (not a modelling paintbrush, but the kind you paint your house with). I bought an "el cheapo" 4" paintbrush,with synthetic bristles, from a local dollar store. I estimate one paintbrush contains about 100,000 bristles - so that's enough antenna's for a lot of tanks! . They won't bend, kink, or break.
The bristles are also a very good applicator for micro amounts of CA. Not too relevant in 1/35, but is useful for small PE in 1/72, and 1/700 ship models.

nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I discovered a new source for antennas - the bristles from a paintbrush (not a modelling paintbrush, but the kind you paint your house with). I bought an "el cheapo" 4" paintbrush,with synthetic bristles, from a local dollar store. I estimate one paintbrush contains about 100,000 bristles - so that's enough antenna's for a lot of tanks! . They won't bend, kink, or break.
The bristles are also a very good applicator for micro amounts of CA. Not too relevant in 1/35, but is useful for small PE in 1/72, and 1/700 ship models.

The bristle can also be used for painting splinter type cammo patters on uniforms.
Cheers
Charlie
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 04:54 AM UTC
Always a pleasure to see a nice Centurion build.

Your cat thanks your use of bristles for 1/72 antennae and not cat whiskers.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 11:38 AM UTC
Actually, my cat ran away (after a few good scratches on my face and hands) after I tried plucking a few whiskers - hence the new source of antennas. (Just kidding!)
 _GOTOTOP