_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Tank stowage resin parts question.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 02:17 PM UTC
Hi fellas. I'm tempted to buy one of these sets for my Sherman. The one I'm looking at is by Value gear. My question for the big piece for the engine deck. Is it ready to be painted or do you need to saw off the casting block first, like you do with other resin parts. If so how do you do that so its flat and sits on the model nicely?

Thanks guys.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 02:31 PM UTC
The larger Value Gear pieces generally don't have pour blocks that need to be cut off. There still needs to be some trimming around the edges but nothing too difficult. You may also have to work a bit to get the proper fit. Value gear has generic stowage as well as kit specific stowage. If the latter, the fit is generally pretty good, although again some minor trimming might be necessary. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Others will have their opinions. In the end it's your decision.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 09:10 AM UTC
I have reviewed a number of Value Gear sets (here is one for German trucks) and can't recommend them too highly. The pour blocks are modest, and easy to removed with a razor saw. They also don't have much/any mold release on them and make for easy painting.
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 10:41 AM UTC
Phil, the Value Gear stuff is all very good, especially his Sherman stowage. Nothing’s better. Enjoy
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 04:34 PM UTC
Hi
I would like to recommend the products from Legend and Black Dog, which are really excellent.
Jacob
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 06:17 PM UTC
While I have not seen this particular set, the rest I have from Value Gear are free from casting blocks and ready to use. Great stuff for sure.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 03:18 PM UTC
Thanks fellas. I'll get one then.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 02:47 AM UTC
One thing I've noted about large single-piece castings for the engine deck is that they are usually smooth and flat on the bottom side. You may have to eliminate some raised surface detail on the plastic kit like hinges, handles, various fittings, and even tools if they interfere with your resin piece from fitting flat. (Note: soft stowage: bedding, tenting, packs, etc. would conform to any irregularities in the surface and tend to sit flat, but hard stowage: boxes, etc. would sit on top of any raised details ) In cases like that, your resin stowage will have to be a permanent fixture for the life of that model!
 _GOTOTOP