_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Colour Schemes & Markings for Austin K9 ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2019 - 08:45 AM UTC
I have recently acquired a very old diecast model of the post-war Austin K9 Radio truck. Having dis-assembled the model and stripped the original paint, I plan to give it a new lease of life (complete with missing details and interior). Evidently, the vehicle was introduced during the early 1950s, and served in the UK and Germany. I am assuming that the colour schemes would have been overall Bronze Green (for the UK) and a green/black disruptive scheme for Germany. I have also been told that the vehicles were operated by REME and the Royal Signals (and apparently by the RAF). Can anyone confirm that the colours mentioned above would be appropriate, and whether the RAF vehicles would have been painted RAF Blue Grey? The next question relates to markings ... any suggestions?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi Paul

The ones I recall seeing in the UK were DBG but that would have been late 60s/early 70s. I left Germany before that when I was about 2 so didn’t pay much attention to colours of Pigs over there😬
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 09:38 AM UTC
The K9, in several different versions, was used by all arms and services of the British Army and the RAF, worldwide. I would say that the truck could well be seen in the colours you have suggested, including blue/grey (and desert yellow).
Chris
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 10:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. In fact, I have opted to depict this as an RAF vehicle. However, rather than incorporating it in a period setting, I plan to present it as a preserved vehicle (complete with fully erected awning) on display at a present-day military vehicle show, with the K9's owner chatting to a group of visitors. I did a similar thing with Mid Devon Models' 1/76-scale 'Land Rover Series 1 ACRT', and it worked really well ... certainly caught peoples' attention at my local model show.
 _GOTOTOP