_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
South Korean K2 MBT colors
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 03:16 PM UTC
I will be building my K2 MBT soon and I need some assistance with the colors
Academy calls for FS34102 Med Green and FS30219 dark tan for the 2 main colors and black and some shade of sand for the secondary colors
How correct is that or is it more in line with the old MERDC camo pattern which used FS34079 Dark Green and FS 30118 Field Drab
black and FS30277 Armor Sand

errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 12:27 AM UTC
I gotz this same kit...in fact it's about 80% completed OOTB. The kit is super nice in details and engineering and is quite fun to build too.

As for the colors I'm not really sure regarding your question. I would think that the ones listed would be close though given that Academy would have had direct access to a K2 example. From my perspective any color that closely matches will work...cause really whos going to/see the difference.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 12:40 AM UTC
Having been to Korea eight times and seen the colors (and sent samples to a company last year in the hopes they'd do a line for modern Korean vehicles, I can tell you field drab and medium green perfect.
Don't worry about the weird looking green color on the ERA. If you want to do one as seen for demonstration purposes the color is fine. The strange color comes from the fact the the "ERA" is actually made of wood, and the paint faded and took an a different hue. For a "KJU makes a life altering decision" diorama I'd go with the medium green or NATO green. They'll be using the real deal then.

By the way, I found the cast on bin handles a bit of a disappointment - almost a step backward, from their K1 kit. Fortunately Legend cane to the rescue on that. And that snorkel tube needs a lot of work.
SWATdoc
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 03:48 PM UTC
Hello Nick,

As you are aware, the ROK colors/pattern are reminiscent of the US MERDC schemes. You may have noticed that they tend to use larger crows feet of sand and black...and often times little to no sand is included on the turrets of the K1 or K2.

Depending on the age of the paint on the vehicle(s) that you want to depict, Tamiya's field gray and several other manufacturer's versions of FS Forest Green seem to work. I have used FS Field Drab as well as an ochre brown to simulate variations among vehicles.

Respectfully,
Allen

Currently, there is an interesting video on You Tube that follows the refurbishment of an older K1 at a factory depot. Near the end, there are a few seconds of the tank being repainted.
 _GOTOTOP