_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sd.kfz.250/251 MGs?
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hello. I was wondering if anybody could please tell me if the carrying straps were attached to MG42 and MG34s that were mounted on top of Sd.kfz.250 and 251s? I can't find any pictures that would prove or disprove this as the part of the gun where the strap would be usually is obscured in most photos...
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 11:58 AM UTC
Looks like the MG on this vehicle does have the carrying strap.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sd.kfz.250/251+MGs&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrkoz8yLDjAhWXG80KHUAYCFgQ_AUIECgB&biw=1464&bih=903#imgdii=48uxSCSCEQBmAM:&imgrc=rTdt4APFvH5-bM:
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 12:12 PM UTC
Mike T.;

You definitely have your choice - at least with the typical MG-34 - on both SdKfz 250 and -251 vehicles.

While perhaps more wartime photos show no evident carry strap on either front / shield or rear - swing/AA mount guns, there are sufficient clear photos that do show a strap was often present.

MG were typically stowed in side bins behind the bench seats in both carriers - these guns were set up to be fully-ready for dismount troops to carry out into action as needed. The strap was standard gear for such guns. While the strap was attached to the gun using spring-loaded clips - for easy disconnect - it is evident that these guns were often set up on the vehicle mounts without anyone bothering to unhook the straps.

You can find plenty of pics showing either configuration - w/ or w/o strap - among mounted guns on both 250 and 251 tracks.

Take a look at the pics on the following site... You'll see a couple of mounted guns with pretty clear look at the strap with connector under the barrel.

https://daviddoylebooks.com/new-products-2/251-half-track-pwwp4

Cheers! Bob
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 05:26 AM UTC
Don't want to answer a question with another question, but doesn't the squad MG go into the front mounting on an SPW when they mount? Not sure about the AA mount at the rear, don't know what goes in there. Or are we saying that the vehicle has two additional MGs of its own? I don't think that's right.If the squad one goes in the front it will automatically have carrying straps on it, can't imagine the gunner removing them every time he enters the vehicle. This is one of those questions that defines actual practice compared to what we see in a kit. I've also read that armoured infantry (Panzergrenadiere) had two MGs per squad; if that's the case, the second one goes on the AA mount?
I know that in heavy companies, the SF MGs had the full "Lafayette" mount, which dispensed with the front shield in the half track.
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 06:20 AM UTC
Standard SPW Sd.Kfz.251 / 250 (without sanitary version) has one MG. This is the front. It is usually without a strap. At the back, one of the MGs is usually mounted in the Panzergrenadiergruppe, which is probably a strap. (According to KStN Panz.Gren.Gru .. there are two MGs).
However, according to K.A.N. the MG has its own belt, located in one of the boxes behind the seats.
 _GOTOTOP