_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Leichtgeschutze 40 in service date ?
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 03:59 PM UTC
Not sure if this belongs in armor but i figured I’d give it a try. I was reading “We March Against England” and the author mentions that this gun was supposed to be fielded by the time of the invasion but everywhere i look it says the gun wasn’t ready until 1941, is it feasible to believe the Germans would of had a few by the time of invasion, i had a diorama idea i was considering that would have fallschirmjager defending an LZ perimeter with one.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 06:15 PM UTC
The LG-40 first saw action in May, 1941, during Operation Mercury / invasion of Crete. That seems to be the "official" story, anyways.

The LG-40 did apparently complete development in 1940 (hence its name) with immediate adoption by the Fallschirmjagers.

In that those FG units didn't actually go into action with the LG-40 until Crete, "officially speaking", that would be the first opportunity to depict the LG-40 in action in a historically-correct dio.

Of course, as Operation Sea Lion didn't actually occur, although planned for Sept. 1940, we cannot know for a fact whether FG units would have dropped into England with the LG-40... But it seems possible that FG units may well have had some of these guns in units later in 1940, and if so, it seems likely that the LG-40 would have gone airborne to England during Op S-L. And the LG-40 would have been a pretty good weapon for fire-support to secure an LZ, IMO.

Hey! Seems fairly plausible for a hypothetical action dio to me! Were it my question and decision... I would do it!

Just my opinion, of course!

Cheers! Bob
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The LG-40 first saw action in May, 1941, during Operation Mercury / invasion of Crete. That seems to be the "official" story, anyways.

The LG-40 did apparently complete development in 1940 (hence its name) with immediate adoption by the Fallschirmjagers.

In that those FG units didn't actually go into action with the LG-40 until Crete, "officially speaking", that would be the first opportunity to depict the LG-40 in action in a historically-correct dio.

Of course, as Operation Sea Lion didn't actually occur, although planned for Sept. 1940, we cannot know for a fact whether FG units would have dropped into England with the LG-40... But it seems possible that FG units may well have had some of these guns in units later in 1940, and if so, it seems likely that the LG-40 would have gone airborne to England during Op S-L. And the LG-40 would have been a pretty good weapon for fire-support to secure an LZ, IMO.

Hey! Seems fairly plausible for a hypothetical action dio to me! Were it my question and decision... I would do it!

Just my opinion, of course!

Cheers! Bob

Yeah i think I’m going to go through with it, i wanted to use the dml kit with the two gun covering a road that had a knocked out Vickers mk II ok it, seeing as the British did press these tanks into service because of the threat of an invasion i feel it is quite plausible. I wanted to depict one gun crew in the firing position while another one is moving to another position with an MG team. Kind of like they are changing up their field of fire to get the best effect out of there weapons after a firefight.
 _GOTOTOP