_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS for Treadheads Who Also Build Wingthings
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi, People!

Darren posted in an earlier thread that he would like to see more "participation" from modelers who are reading and posting in the various forums on ARMORAMA, and who are also reading and posting in the various other forums in KITMAKER's "sister-sites".

I'm going to try a little bit of "cross-pollination", here...

Over on "sister-site" AEROSCALE, there are some headliners in the NEWS that would possibly be missed by ARMORAMA modelers who also dabble in Aircraft, if I didn't open my BIG mouth. Maybe not, but it's still possible, yes?

The "Big Doings" are that TAMIYA is working on a new 1/48 P-38 Lightning. Yes, you read that right. There are a few "teaser photos", but several of us "Eagle-eyed Wing-Heads" figured out the photos in short-order. Yup, DEFINITELY a TAMIYA 1/48 P-38 will be in the offing, pretty soon!

The second "Big Deal" for Aircraft modelers AND Armor modelers who also build Aircraft is the new, long-awaited EDUARD 1/48
P-51D-5NA Mustang, "Chattanooga Choo Choo", which will be a "limited-run" kit of only 3,000 pieces. Now I know you guys are going to say,

"Oh gee... ANOTHER P-51D... Zzzzz...

No, wait a second- This one will probably be the "Hottest Little Filly" in the vast 1/48 "Little Horsie"-Mustang crowd... It REALLY IS worth a look. Extra parts abound and there will be the standard EDUARD "ProfipacK" extras such as the Pre-Painted PE Instrument Panel, Seat Belts, and various Cockpit Gizmos, plus stickum Paint-Masks.

What is definite is that there will be three different Props, two different seats, a Dorsal Fin Mod for late D-5 versions, masks, three different designs of Bubble Canopies, two different styles of Exhausts and no less than SIX different decal options. There's a whole lot more there, but I'll let the "Wing-Heads" among you bop over to AEROSCALE to take a look for yourselves. To top it off, there is that legendary EDUARD QUALITY, which should be a great selling-point as it is...

For those who are even "curiouser" (apologies to "Alice In Wonderland"), over on the "The MODELLING NEWS" site, there are even more photos to drool over and a bit more info than Tim Hatton at AEROSCALE might have had on hand to give us. No fault of Tim's- Apologies to Tim, I truly mean no harm. Perhaps "The MODELLING NEWS" just had more access to EDUARD's "/news-mill".

Prices should be in the mid-$40.00 USD-range, according to SCALE LINK...

Here's a link to "The MODELLING NEWS", for those who may be interested in the new EDUARD 1/48 P-51D kit:

www.themodellingnews.com

Those of you who want to take a look at the "buzz" and the "teaser-photos" of the new 1/48 P-38 which were reportedly supplied by TAMIYA themselves, can just just move your cursor up to Kit Maker Network's "Browse Sites!" window and left-click once. You can then log onto AEROSCALE...

I certainly HOPE that I didn't step on anyone's toes by posting this news...

Thank You All Very Much for indulging me by reading this little post!

VR- Dennis
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 09:40 PM UTC
Just saw a new post on FB, from The Modelling News. It is a P-38 F/G that's coming from Tamiya. There is a picture of the box art as well as a built-up model.

It looks real sweet. Al
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just saw a new post on FB, from The Modelling News. It is a P-38 F/G that's coming from Tamiya. There is a picture of the box art as well as a built-up model.

It looks real sweet. Al

Thank You Al, for that TAMIYA illustration and photo of the "built-up" model!

I LIKE what I'm seeing!!!

The "box art" displays "Miss Virginia", Rex Barber's machine. Rex Barber allegedly shot down Admiral Yamamoto who was aboard that G4M "Betty", which TAMIYA also makes. Both Aircraft will make for a nice "vignette" in one of my display cabinets...

VR, Dennis
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 02:49 AM UTC
More info and sprue pics...

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/07/tamiyas-148th-scale-lockheed-p-38-fg.html#more
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 03:18 AM UTC

Hi, James, or is it OK to call you Jim?

Thanks for the new link you've just posted for the benefit of all readers who may be interested in this new thread!

I saw the up-dated news of TAMIYA's P-38F/G on"The MODELLING NEWS" earlier today. Man, it LOOKS GOOD! Nothing yet on "pre-orders" for this new P-38, but...

Regarding the new EDUARD P-51D-5 "CHATTANOOGA CHOO CHOO", several European model distributors have already SOLD OUT their allotments of "pre-orders" of this new P-51 kit. Glad I've already "pre-ordered" TWO of them for myself from SUPER-Hobby, in Poland...

Now the waiting starts...

Anyone who's interested in obtaining the new 1/48 EDUARD P-51 kit will have to move FAST, because they're selling like hotcakes!!!

OK guys, gotta leave for the dentist's office... OUCH!!!

VR, Dennis
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 03:25 AM UTC
Years ago, I use to build tanks, fling wings, and lawn darts. No more...just tanks now!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 03:29 AM UTC
Wow, looks great-- hopefully we'll get a "J" too at some point. I don't think Tamiya would just leave us at the early version.
VR, Russ
davcon5
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 04:55 AM UTC
I'll buy that kit. I love P - 38's. And being as I'm from Oregon, I'll build it as Rex Barber's plane. He was from Madras, Ore. near Bend, and he's a local hero there. The big highway bridge over the Crooked River recently completed is named for him.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Years ago, I use to build tanks, fling wings, and lawn darts. No more...just tanks now!

Hey, Thanks for stopping by anyway, John!

VR, Dennis
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, looks great-- hopefully we'll get a "J" too at some point. I don't think Tamiya would just leave us at the early version.
VR, Russ

Hi, Russ!

Thanks for stopping by! Are you going to join in on the TAMIYA
P-38 and EDUARD P-51 "party"?

I don't think that TAMIYA will leave us all hanging on a P-38J/L kit(s), either. That's an opportunity too good to miss for them. I'm sure that there'll be lots of guys going in for TAMIYA P-38s, as well as the new EDUARD P-51D-5 and upcoming P-51D-10 kits. I hope they'll be doing P-51Bs and Cs, and British Mustang Mk.III and Mk.IV versions, as well. Wait a second! I'd like to see EDUARD do all-new P-51s, P-51As, A-36As and of course the British Allison-engined Mustang Mk.I and Mk.II versions, too!

PS- How's "DJIGOOBLIE II" coming along?

VR, Dennis
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll buy that kit. I love P - 38's. And being as I'm from Oregon, I'll build it as Rex Barber's plane. He was from Madras, Ore. near Bend, and he's a local hero there. The big highway bridge over the Crooked River recently completed is named for him.

David, Hi!

Thanks for stopping by, and for your "local Oregon History" input about Rex Barber! I didn't know that he was from Madras, Ore. It's nice to know! Do you know of any books about him? I'm going to build "Miss Virginia" once TAMIYA officially releases the kit!

VR, Dennis
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 08:49 AM UTC
Why is this discussion even here? We have the Aeroscale Forums for a reason. Are we now going to start announcing every aircraft new release here as well? I really don't see the point of cross-pollinating to the Armor forum. If people are interested in aircraft, they will look there too. If they don't, that is their problem.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

VR, Russ

Hi, Russ!

I don't think that TAMIYA will leave us all hanging on a P-38J/L kit(s), either. That's an opportunity too good to miss for them. I'm sure that there'll be lots of guys going in for TAMIYA P-38s, as well as the new EDUARD P-51D-5 and upcoming P-51D-10 kits. I hope they'll be doing P-51Bs and Cs, and British Mustang Mk.III and Mk.IV versions, as well. Wait a second! I'd like to see EDUARD do all-new P-51s, P-51As, A-36As and of course the British Allison-engined Mustang Mk.I and Mk.II versions, too!

VR, Dennis

Dennis,
When I saw the Eduard P-51 over at "The Modeling News" I immediately thought of you. I'm up to my ears in alligators right now with the summer months, but I just got a new printer I'm dying to try out, so DJIGOOBLIE II is the first project for the next "rainy day". No, I might buy a P38J, and I already own a 1/32 scale Tamiya P-51D. so this particular P38 isn't on my wish list. I'd like to build the twelve greatest aircraft from WWII based on Watanabe's famous book series, and I have all the single engine aircraft in 1/32, but I'm still missing a Mosquito and a P38J (I had a Tamiya 1/32 scale Mosquito, and decided it was too large for my modest house, so I traded it a couple of months ago). But for now, until Tamiya releases a 1/48 scale "Putt Putt Maru" P38J I'll wait.
VR, Russ
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why is this discussion even here? We have the Aeroscale Forums for a reason. Are we now going to start announcing every aircraft new release here as well? I really don't see the point of cross-pollinating to the Armor forum. If people are interested in aircraft, they will look there too. If they don't, that is their problem.

With all due respect Gino . why not ? I like both Armor and aircraft ! If you dont like it dont read it ! The selection of armor has been pretty boring lately . A little breath of fresh air cant hurt . just my opinion .

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you dont like it dont read it !

Really, you are going to resort to the response of someone who has no argument?

If you want to find out about the latest airplane model, that is why there is a whole sub-set of Armorama, Aeroscale, that is dedicated to them with all sorts of sub-catagories and lots of useful info. If we are going to post like this, why have sub-categories at all, just post whatever you want wherever you want.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you want to find out about the latest airplane model, that is why there is a whole sub-set of Armorama, Aeroscale, that is dedicated to them with all sorts of sub-catagories and lots of useful info. If we are going to post like this, why have sub-categories at all, just post whatever you want wherever you want.

I actually kind of agree with Gino here-- we do have Aeroscale for this sort of thing, but there are a lot of modelers who build in several categories. I for one have an intense interest in history, which is why I build, and history has a tendency to encompass more than one category of vehicle--aerial, land and maritime (or automotive, figure, rail and space for that matter). To "cross pollinate" so to speak at Kitmaker isn't all bad. These two releases are a bit unusual, so I can see the interest for those armor aficionados who might not otherwise take a look at the Aeroscale site. But the number of positive replies shows not everybody feels the same, so I think it's ok to let it "play" here.
VR, Russ
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

With all due respect Gino . why not ? I like both Armor and aircraft ! If you dont like it dont read it ! The selection of armor has been pretty boring lately . A little breath of fresh air cant hurt . just my opinion .

Thank You, Lou!

"A little breath of fresh air can't hurt" That's my opinion, too- And that's EXACTLY WHY I posted a "Wing-Things" topic in a site like ARMORAMA.

Gino- Other modelers have posted "off-topic" stuff that had nothing to do with Armor, AFVs and Soft-skins on this site. I can't see why I SHOULDN'T have tried to create a little bit of offbeat "buzz" on a site that seems to be mired in its very own brand of lethargy...

VR, Dennis
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

First of all "AEROSCALE" is not a "sub-set" of ARMORAMA, or vice-versa, nor was my post a "sub-category". It was "/news", period. Did you not read my heading,

"NEWS For Tread-Heads Who Also Build Wing-Things"..?

Sometimes, Gino, "Tread-Heads" who DO build "Wing-Things" get so wrapped up in their Panthers, Shermans and Tigers, that they don't even stop to "peremptorily" peruse "AEROSCALE" in order to find out what's new, and vice-versa.

If anything, I DID manage to raise YOUR hackles, didn't I? And I also DID get a few people to "talk"...

THAT was my object, in the first place- To raise interest AND CONTROVERSY, and possibly even infuse a lit bit of humor. Darren mentioned that he wanted to raise readers' consciousness and to improve their "response-times and activity" on ARMORAMA, in so many words. I DID get some immediate responses, with YOURS among them...

You'll have to admit, it's been pretty "dry" around here, so why not throw everyone a "curve-ball", if only to get people talking, and yes, arguing one point or another, even if it's only to bring up the question,

WHY are "Wing-Things" being discussed on a "Tread-Head" site..?

Now, you have your answer...

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

VR, Russ

Hi, Russ!

VR, Dennis

Dennis,
When I saw the Eduard P-51 over at "The Modeling News" I immediately thought of you. I'm up to my ears in alligators right now with the summer months, but I just got a new printer I'm dying to try out, so DJIGOOBLIE II is the first project for the next "rainy day". No, I might buy a P38J, and I already own a 1/32 scale Tamiya P-51D. so this particular P38 isn't on my wish list. I'd like to build the twelve greatest aircraft from WWII based on Watanabe's famous book series, and I have all the single engine aircraft in 1/32, but I'm still missing a Mosquito and a P38J (I had a Tamiya 1/32 scale Mosquito, and decided it was too large for my modest house, so I traded it a couple of months ago). But for now, until Tamiya releases a 1/48 scale "Putt Putt Maru" P38J I'll wait.
VR, Russ

Hi, Russ! My questions to you regarding the new 1/48 P-38, P-51, and "DJIGOOBLIE II", were posed in "jest". I don't expect anyone on this particular hobby site, i.e, ARMORAMA, to rush out and buy these two new Aircraft model kits...

Unless they WANT TO!

As it turns out, there are a few guys who have read my "/news" and DO model Armor AND Aircraft, who will take this news seriously, and BUY. You'll have to admit that aside of a few articles and "builds" going on at ARMORAMA, "things" have been in a nearly moribund state around here.

I posted my "/news" to raise a little bit of "action", knowing full-well that there would be a few negative reactions. The fact that ANYONE bothered to reply in reaction to my "/news", whether positive or negative, affirms that I have achieved my object...

VR, Dennis
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First of all "AEROSCALE" is not a "sub-set" of ARMORAMA, or vice-versa, nor was my post a "sub-category"...

If anything, I DID manage to raise YOUR hackles, didn't I?...

Ok, so sub-set was a poor word choice, I should have said sister site, it is equally as popular and a stand-alone entity.

Yes, your nonsense posts with unnecessary capitalization and rambling usually do "raise my hackles" (whatever they are). I find most of them quite annoying. That is exactly why I usually ignore them, as I will with the rest of this one.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I must second this opinion stated above. This belongs on our sister-site, not here.

And on another less related note: - as these P-38 teaser posts were coming up of late I was sort of hoping for a new Lightening in 1/32nd that would at least come close to all my 1/35th scale armor models and my other 1/32nd aircraft. This announcement sort of leaves me cold for multiple reasons.

Sorry Dennis
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 01:07 AM UTC
If people want to check all the forums at once they can. That's what I do because I have interests across all kinds of miniatures.

So the blue, versus the yellow and grey and the little icons tell me what is what.

That's the way the site is designed so posting something on a plane in the armor forum is unnecessary and superfluous.

By the way Tamiya makes some great 1/48 scale vehicles to go with their aircraft.

But then I feel anything larger than 1/72 for aircraft is just too big for my poor overloaded shelves.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey, Thanks for stopping by anyway, John!

VR, Dennis

j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

First of all "AEROSCALE" is not a "sub-set" of ARMORAMA, or vice-versa, nor was my post a "sub-category". It was "/news", period. Did you not read my heading,

"NEWS For Tread-Heads Who Also Build Wing-Things"..?

Sometimes, Gino, "Tread-Heads" who DO build "Wing-Things" get so wrapped up in their Panthers, Shermans and Tigers, that they don't even stop to "peremptorily" peruse "AEROSCALE" in order to find out what's new, and vice-versa.

If anything, I DID manage to raise YOUR hackles, didn't I? And I also DID get a few people to "talk"...

THAT was my object, in the first place- To raise interest AND CONTROVERSY, and possibly even infuse a lit bit of humor. Darren mentioned that he wanted to raise readers' consciousness and to improve their "response-times and activity" on ARMORAMA, in so many words. I DID get some immediate responses, with YOURS among them...

You'll have to admit, it's been pretty "dry" around here, so why not throw everyone a "curve-ball", if only to get people talking, and yes, arguing one point or another, even if it's only to bring up the question,

WHY are "Wing-Things" being discussed on a "Tread-Head" site..?

Now, you have your answer...

keep posting Dennis !

j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you were quoting part of my response . it was an opinion not a argument Gino . lighten up !
 _GOTOTOP