_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Recommended hair spray for chipping
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi, is there a recommended hairspray that you use to do the chipping effect on your builds, is there a specific brand or a cheap brand you guys like to use ?
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 07:11 AM UTC
I find TRESemme' Ultra Fine works and have not tried others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHVn47E6LA
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 10:29 AM UTC
Just use your wife's brand when she's not looking!
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find TRESemme' Ultra Fine works and have not tried others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHVn47E6LA

I use the TRESemme medium hold (#3 maybe?).

Monsoon
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 12:35 PM UTC
Aquanet Pink Can

All those hair bands from the 80's cant be wrong.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 01:46 PM UTC
Wow thanks for the response guys. Yeah don’t think my wife will be happy with me if i use her hairspray. I told her i want to try this method so I’m probably going to look around the PX for a cheap aerosol hairspray can. I always thought that any brand would be fine, but i may go with the tresemme
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 03:06 PM UTC
I just tried it for the first time on the last model I completed, the Revell MAN 5 Ton truck I completed for the Logistics World campaign.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow thanks for the response guys. Yeah don’t think my wife will be happy with me if i use her hairspray. I told her i want to try this method so I’m probably going to look around the PX for a cheap aerosol hairspray can. I always thought that any brand would be fine, but i may go with the tresemme

I don't mean to be a "Butt-in-ski", but my Mom had a saying which I found to be true in a lot of cases all through my life:

"Cheap is expensive...", meaning that when one "skimps on the recipe", one finds that they have to do it all over again because of using an inferior product that won't do the job...

In other words, spend that extra 95-cents and get that better-quality hairspray for your "chipping-effects"...
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't mean to be a "Butt-in-ski", but my Mom had a saying which I found to be true in a lot of cases all through my life:

"Cheap is expensive...", meaning that when one "skimps on the recipe", one finds that they have to do it all over again because of using an inferior product that won't do the job...

In other words, spend that extra 95-cents and get that better-quality hairspray for your "chipping-effects"...

In most things I agree , but not this . the cheap stuff comes off faster . its easier to chip . so if you want helmet head buy the good stuff if you want faster easier removal the cheap junk is the way . in my opinion .
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 02:44 AM UTC
Us men using hairspray on our models sure get some strange looks from alot of people. Its a good thing I don't tell them that while I'm tinkering with the models, I'm humming 'YMCA".
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 03:04 AM UTC
The cheap stuff works fine for me. I made sure it said “fine spray”
The painful part is the perfume smell!! I’ve been banned to the garage when using it...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Us men using hairspray on our models sure get some strange looks from alot of people. Its a good thing I don't tell them that while I'm tinkering with the models, I'm humming 'YMCA".

Oh, dear...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The cheap stuff works fine for me. I made sure it said “fine spray”
The painful part is the perfume smell!! I’ve been banned to the garage when using it...

Maybe the stuff that costs an additional 95-cents is available in a "perfume-free" version..?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In most things I agree , but not this . the cheap stuff comes off faster . its easier to chip . so if you want helmet head buy the good stuff if you want faster easier removal the cheap junk is the way . in my opinion .

If the "cheap stuff" works better, then that's a GOOD thing, isn't it..?

PS- I'm not about to go out and buy hair spray just so that I can have "helmet head"...
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 03:15 PM UTC
I also have used TRESemme. I can't recommend it with Tamiya acrylics...they're like iron!

I found a 2 fluid oz bottle at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $2-3.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 04:04 AM UTC
I bought Tresemme level 5 hold and I’m pairing it with Ammo Mig. Hopefully this works. I’ll let y’all know more later today
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have used TRESemme. I can't recommend it with Tamiya acrylics...they're like iron!

In the video Mike recommends adding water to the Tamiya mix.
 _GOTOTOP