_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: New Panzer IV
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2019 - 07:02 PM UTC

Rye Field Model has announced a new series of Panzer IV.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2019 - 09:10 PM UTC
I have so been looking forward to this.

YAY!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2019 - 11:00 PM UTC
Appears to be three turret bases - two on one sprue, one on another.
Also, those two cones...
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Appears to be three turret bases - two on one sprue, one on another.
Also, those two cones...

The two cones are probably a form to properly shape the Sternantenna D (i.e. star antenna) for a Befehslpanzer IV. The rest of that sprue appears to have only antenna parts on it.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 02:34 AM UTC
I would be thrilled with a complete engine compartment, forget the full interior!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 03:20 AM UTC
There are turret interior bits on one of those sprues. The three turret bottoms have subtly different patterns on the top. Those guide lines and recessed bolts indicate the possibility of an interior just like their Sherman did.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 11:57 AM UTC
Which one is the first to have the turret skirts?

F?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which one is the first to have the turret skirts?

F?

I think G from the factory with the earlier tanks being upgraded in the field workshops. The sprues seem to indicate H to me, but that's a guess.
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 03:49 PM UTC
We can see the some Ni-werke ausf.H or J parts.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 03:09 AM UTC
Not clear which Ausf this is - looks late. The cones could be pistol ports fitted to the rear of some versions, but these wouldn't go with the turret schurtzen...
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be thrilled with a complete engine compartment, forget the full interior!

You seem to get your wish with them showing a CAD of the Maybach engine, though not clear if it's included or separate add on.

http://www.moxingfans.com/new/news/2019/0806/6134.html
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 03:52 AM UTC
As to which first had schurtzen: the time line shows the Ausf "G" (late) to be the first with all subsequent "H" variants being so equipped as parts stock were available; in the same way all tanks returned for major rebuilds were usually brought up to the current standards so Ausf "F" kits would soon have it as well. It also seemed to depend on which theatre that AFV came from. I have yet to see any period photos showing any German tanks carrying Schurtzen in North Africa. Probably thought that there was no need. No Zimmerit either.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 06:25 AM UTC
Fantastic news! I've built every Ausf H offering of Dragon's and I've been wanting a full styrene Panzer IV H or J for a decade. A company like Takom or RFM is perfect for this. I'm definitely seeing interior pieces as well which is a great sign. I'll be very eager to see what the schurzen skirt mounts and brackets look like. whether it's an H or J I hope they give us the option of early, mid and lates.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 08:25 AM UTC
In response to Frank:

Yeah, none of that in Africa as the threat they were meant to encounter wasn't present. As far as schurzen in the ETO I believe procedure was to put plates on vehicles heading to Russia to counter their AT rockets, which was not an issue in Western Europe. Obviously I can't say the moving of units around the map caused some schurzen tanks to end up on the West. But it is possible, I would imagine. I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of schurzen on anything but Russia-bound tanks.
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 10:20 AM UTC

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In response to Frank:

Yeah, none of that in Africa as the threat they were meant to encounter wasn't present. As far as schurzen in the ETO I believe procedure was to put plates on vehicles heading to Russia to counter their AT rockets, which was not an issue in Western Europe. Obviously I can't say the moving of units around the map caused some schurzen tanks to end up on the West. But it is possible, I would imagine. I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of schurzen on anything but Russia-bound tanks.

I believe zimmerit came out later in 1943, after the DAK surrendered. There are pictures of PZIII in the Salerno area with skirts, and skirts were common on PZ IV in Italy in 1943. Maybe the combat zones got the tanks with the skirts before back areas like France.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 10:23 PM UTC
Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerit
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jagdpanzer IV?

Maybe in the future, but three turret bases to use none sounds like a real waste
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 04:21 AM UTC
Cor, not this old chestnut again.

Schuerzen were intended to counter the Soviet anti-tank rifles, which obviously were not found in N Africa. They were nothing to do with anti-tank rockets, as the only type the Red Army used was captured Panzerfauste.

Obviously they did appear in the west too but that was probably more about it being easier to standardise than to design vehicles for one specific front. And obviously units did transfer en bloc between fronts anyway.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 06:14 AM UTC
Anyways, I'm interested in the "complete interior" part of it as I just recently started kit-bashing together a complete interior for a PZ IV G using the donor-interior from an earlier kit with the new Border kit. I hope to beat this new release to market. And oh, by the way: there is an entire series of pics showing a tank depot in Norway being surrendered to Allied forces that was chock-full of PZ III variants with full schurtzen. In short, they were everywhere. And the Soviet anti-tank rifle from that time period was only effective against vision ports and dummies who stuck their heads out too far. As such Schurtzen would be ineffective overkill on that as they were too thin to do much more than slow the round before it spanged off the armour plate.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You seem to get your wish with them showing a CAD of the Maybach engine, though not clear if it's included or separate add on.

http://www.moxingfans.com/new/news/2019/0806/6134.html

That engine is by Border Model, not RFM.The more the better though!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Schuerzen were intended to counter the Soviet anti-tank rifles, which obviously were not found in N Africa. They were nothing to do with anti-tank rockets, as the only type the Red Army used was captured Panzerfauste.

Obviously they did appear in the west too but that was probably more about it being easier to standardise than to design vehicles for one specific front. And obviously units did transfer en bloc between fronts anyway.

The US sent the Soviets small numbers of what we call the bazooka, sometime in late 1942 or early 1943. The Soviets also had access to captured panzerschrecks, which was based on the bazooka's captured from the Soviets, and/or the US in Tunisia.
Removed by original poster on 08/10/19 - 06:43:03 (GMT).
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2019 - 06:46 PM UTC
I believe the cones are for bending Starr antennae, they look a bit large for Jgpz IV.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2019 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You make it a standard piece of equipment on the tank and just send the tank wherever. North Africa just missed the introduction of schurtzen. They surrendered before the first tanks produced got to them. But there were a couple in Sicily and lots at Salerno.

In North Africa the Germans encountered a hollow charge rocket launcher though no skirt equipped tanks made it there. The bazooka.

And don't you know the real reason for schurtzen? To disguise the old Pzkpfw III and IV with sheet metal to imitate the round turret of a Tiger!

That way the Allies will think every German tank is a Tiger!
(Actual rumor recounted by armored division veterans)

Tracks and road wheels, especially when it makes up two thirds of the side silhouette are great targets for high caliber rifles. Some Russians supposedly were experts at breaking the tracks. Maybe another rumor but as an old tank gunner it's what I'd try for.
 _GOTOTOP