_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Land Wasser Schlepper personnel capacity
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 06:32 AM UTC
I know that the LWS wasn’t supposed to be used as an amphibious assault vehicle, or i should say it’s main priority wasn’t that, but after doing some reading it says that it had the capacity to hold 20 personnel. How would half an infantry platoon fit on this, would it be unreasonable to think that some guys would be in the cabin and others kind of riding on the back of it. I’m trying to plan a diorama with an lws ferrying men , I’d assume that they wouldn’t have rode the lws all the way across the channel but maybe being ferried to a transport or to and from one?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 08:02 AM UTC
I guess we could assume that the aligned soldiers are the LWS crew...

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 08:21 AM UTC
Crew: 2
Passengers: 20, ... that cabin is fairly large
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landwasserschlepper
/ Robin
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess we could assume that the aligned soldiers are the LWS crew...

H.P.

Yeah it’d be a 2 person crew, and then 20 soldiers, i guess I’m thinking that the cabin is much smaller then what it really is. Thanks for the picture btw !
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 09:13 AM UTC

In case you haven't seen the interior of the kit.
It should be possible to get another 16 seats of the same type in there, using benches along the sides (like the benches in the load bed of a CCKW or Opel Blitz) it should be possible to have 20 seated troops (tight but not uncomfortable).
Standing passengers would be even easier but then the limitation could be set by the allowed load (overloaded boats sink, overloaded trucks just wear out the axles and stuff too quickly).
Note that the central air intake (or funnel??) is missing in the image above. Image below shows a different type with three funnels.

Worth a read:
http://panzerserra.blogspot.com/2013/03/landwasserschlepper-lws-amphibious.html

/ Robin
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In case you haven't seen the interior of the kit.
It should be possible to get another 16 seats of the same type in there, using benches along the sides (like the benches in the load bed of a CCKW or Opel Blitz) it should be possible to have 20 seated troops (tight but not uncomfortable).
Standing passengers would be even easier but then the limitation could be set by the allowed load (overloaded boats sink, overloaded trucks just wear out the axles and stuff too quickly).
Note that the central air intake (or funnel??) is missing in the image above. Image below shows a different type with three funnels.

Worth a read:
http://panzerserra.blogspot.com/2013/03/landwasserschlepper-lws-amphibious.html

/ Robin

I havent studied the interiors on all of them. I know there were a few variations of these. I have the early variation and need to see if it would have a funnel or not. I like the idea of the benches from an opel truck. That may be part of my diorama now. Thank you!
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 12:19 PM UTC
I love the questions and answers posted on this forum. You can learn so much here just lurking. Great stuff everyone.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 12:33 PM UTC
Okay went back and studied the lot instructions for the early lws, there’s just a center piece and the drivers seats are up front. I think I’m going to scratch build two benches and maybe use the Masterbox or Dml halftrack figures sitting, with their packs in front of them.
 _GOTOTOP