_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Academy T-34/85
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 10:11 AM UTC
Just got one of these in and was wondering if the Academy T-34/85 factory 112 kit be built as an NVA tank? I have spare star fish wheels and some other bits from the Dragon NVA T-34/85. I saw some pictures that lead me to believe that I can, just want to be sure.

Thanks.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 07:09 PM UTC
I don't see why not, other than the fact that the kit depicts a variant that was in production for a fairly short time. The Academy kit, with the dual mushroom ventilators, depicts a 1945-production tank, but the Model 1962 tanks were all rebuilds of existing equipment, and the Soviets didn't distinguish between the different factory subtypes--they were all just T-34-85s.
Alternatively. there were a fair number of Factory 112 tanks photographed in Korea in 1950, with both the original ventilators or the fore and aft mushroom type, if you'd rather save the Dragon wheels for another project.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 09:45 PM UTC
If you look at nearly any gathering of T-34/85 post war, one with the separate mushroom dome ventilators will likely be there. For a fairly brief production run they are very omnipresent.

A T-34/85 factory 112, 1962 modification were all over Europe too. You'd see them in the NVA (National Volkishe Armee), throughout the Warsaw Pact, Yugoslavia and elsewhere. That's the thing about postwar use of T-34. They're everywhere.

You really want to throw someone for a loop, put on T-72 sprockets and tracks for one of the last Bulgarian updates.
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2019 - 03:56 PM UTC
Thanks for the info gents. I think I'll have to try that T-72 track/sprocket some time.

I was also thinking maybe doing a Vietnamese one too. Would this one work out with the Academy kit?

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2019 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info gents. I think I'll have to try that T-72 track/sprocket some time.

I was also thinking maybe doing a Vietnamese one too. Would this one work out with the Academy kit?

The tank shown has the same roof panel, but a different turret shell casting (the shape changed over time, and 112 also used turrets from two different foundries). It's from the same 1945 time frame, though.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I checked my books, and the 112 factory mushroom turret rear sits very close to the top of the engine deck, so it probably is not a 112 tank. I don't have enough information to say weather or not Vietnam had a 112 factory tank. However, the North Koreans had a few, why not Vietnam?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I checked my books, and the 112 factory mushroom turret rear sits very close to the top of the engine deck, so it probably is not a 112 tank. I don't have enough information to say weather or not Vietnam had a 112 factory tank. However, the North Koreans had a few, why not Vietnam?

Factory 112 is the only assembly plant known to have used the separate turret ventilators. The turret you cite is the version in Academy's kit, but the turret roof with the mushroom ventilators could also be seen on at least three different turret shells used on 112 hulls in 1945. As mentioned, the factory used multiple casting types, and the Soviets did not distinguish between them.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Factory 112 is the only assembly plant known to have used the separate turret ventilators. The turret you cite is the version in Academy's kit, but the turret roof with the mushroom ventilators could also be seen on at least three different turret shells used on 112 hulls in 1945. As mentioned, the factory used multiple casting types, and the Soviets did not distinguish between them.

Okie dokie, and thank you.

However, I thought the question was:

Can the Academy Factory 112 kit be used to build the specific tank in the picture?

I attempted to explain why that was a no. The kit has the wrong turret shell for the specific tank in the picture.

In the future I will attempt to more clear.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC
quote]Factory 112 is the only assembly plant known to have used the separate turret ventilators. The turret you cite is the version in Academy's kit, but the turret roof with the mushroom ventilators could also be seen on at least three different turret shells used on 112 hulls in 1945. As mentioned, the factory used multiple casting types, and the Soviets did not distinguish between them.[/quote]

After a lot of googling I have not been able to find anything that definitely states that only Factory 112 built T-34/85 tanks with turrets with the separate vents. The only reference I have been able to find that says anything, one way or another, is the New Osprey by Zaloga, and the text says that the turrets were mostly used by the Karkov plant. A strange way to state it, so perhaps the article got the text wrong. I don't have that book.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 01:57 PM UTC
Comrade MP, I suspect I was wrong about the Academy kit. I found this picture:

This tank is/was on display in the UK. Although from the right side the mold seams on the turret look very similar to the tank in your picture.

Another picture of the tank taken at another time and location:

In your picture the wide bulge of the turret sides cover the rear bustle of the turret, however I think it is the same turret as the Academy Factory 112 kit.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - 06:36 PM UTC
I suspect that the NV tank of the photo could have T-55 style wheels. It looks barely visible on the second road wheel.
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 01:36 PM UTC
Thanks for all the info. I've decided I'm building it up, just need some decals.

Seen pictures of tanks with mixed spider web/star fish wheels and that's what I'm going with. Should be fun, haven't built an Academy kit yet. Looks pretty straight forward.

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 02:07 PM UTC
It is a fun kit to build, not perfect, but worth the price. Have fun.
 _GOTOTOP