_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
US Army Tank Crew Coveralls Colour ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 09:23 AM UTC
I am working on a diorama showing an M1A2 Abrams at the National Training Centre being maintained by the crew. Three of the figures are wearing OIF camouflage trousers and round-neck tee shirts; the other, one-piece coveralls. Given the period, would the coveralls be olive green or sand-coloured? The tee shirts ... brown or olive green?
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 11:15 PM UTC
Is this the pattern you mean?

Are they Army or USMC?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 01:17 AM UTC
What do you mean by OIF camo? There is no such pattern and a few different camo patterns were worn over the course of the conflict. The camo would dictate the color of the t-shirts. The coveralls could be green or sand, both were worn.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 03:48 AM UTC
Gino,

Sorry, I was referring to the three-colour camouflage (as illustrated in Marc's image). Does this have a specific name, or is it just desert camouflage?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 04:04 AM UTC
That is the DCU (Desert Camouflage Uniform). The t-shirt for it was field drab / brownish color. It was the same color t-shirt worn w/the woodland BDU (Battle Dress Uniform).

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 04:51 AM UTC
IIRC the tanks at the NTC are pre positioned, so crews didn't bring their own. (Gino could correct me if I'm wrong.)
They might be worn a bit, and have stowage but no unit speciific changes. (Other than the NTC ones.)
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 05:22 AM UTC
Many thanks for the responses.
I can now get on with completing my diorama.

Paul
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IIRC the tanks at the NTC are pre positioned, so crews didn't bring their own. (Gino could correct me if I'm wrong.)
They might be worn a bit, and have stowage but no unit speciific changes. (Other than the NTC ones.)

Actually, that changed in the early 2000s. It was going to be too costly to maintain two separate tank fleets (M1A1 and M1A2) at the NTC. As units were transitioning to M1A2s, there was the need to have them as well. Since then, units have deployed most of their equipment (esp. armored vehicles) to the NTC. There is still a fleet of common vehicles (HMMWV, LMTV, FMTV, HEMTT, etc.) that are drawn, but unit specific vehicles are railed there.
 _GOTOTOP