_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
AC Models: Panzer Crew at Rest & Surrendering Germans
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 12:26 AM UTC

Another bit of news from AC Models covers the latest releases from the company, all figure sets depicting German soldiers from WW2 era.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 03:37 AM UTC
That "at rest" group has an odd look. Did the German army have a policy of not assigning related individuals to the same unit? Cause this group looks like brothers,, even wear their caps the same way.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 07:18 PM UTC
With respect to Andy Cairns, who is AC Models I think he does a great job on composition and individual poses but to me his sculpting is a little rough and I feel the proportions are out.

Most feet and hands too big, and as the other poster remarked the heads/faces all appear "related" across the range of his figures.

I can't knock his output, he does seem very prolific I just wish his sculpting had more of the finesse of Alpine or Evolution.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 07:45 PM UTC
What I like in Andy's figures is the realistic animation. I agree his sculpting style could use a little refinement, but the poses of the figures he sculpts are the best on the market IMO.

Mario
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 12:18 AM UTC
I am going to go the other way on this one and say IMHO the grouping of figures stuffed into the back of that truck looks FANTASTIC!

I don't really see/am not bothered by the possibility of slightly oversized hands and feet. As to any possible similarity that is where the clothing expression "uniform" comes from. A group of soldiers used to working together as a unit over long periods of time SHOULD look uniform in their uniforms. Once painted, facial coloration and varied shading will more visually separate these as individuals.

I think the poses and positioning of this group is very impressive - again, in my opinion.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 04:47 AM UTC
I agree with both sides, re: finesse and re: don't care. I personally like their scruffy look and as I doubt that more than a couple will end up on the same dio build their genetic similarities are moot. Some polishing by the sculptor and these'll be great.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 05:26 AM UTC
The panzer crew at rest set look more like the Schmidt Quints!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 05:45 AM UTC
I as a rule like figures from this producer and rate highly a set I reviewed, but the faces I am seeing here look poor compared to his usual efforts.
SmallSoldier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 05:58 PM UTC
I agree the animation is really good but the poor proportions and odd/un-refined sculpting really lets them down. Oh, and the German tankers are akin to the "Hansen Brothers" if you've seen the movie Slapshot.
 _GOTOTOP