_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Inconvenient truths
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 05:42 AM UTC
I was driving along the other day and was contemplating the cost of the kits in my stash and of the many accessories and paint I have ordered for those kits. If the kits average $50, I am looking at more than $3000. Accessories probably average close to that with Photoetch, metal barrels, aftermarket track, and paint. Humm... That is a lot of cash sitting on the shelf. Careful what you ponder.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 05:48 AM UTC
I try not to dwell on it, but you can't help but think about the costs. I now spend more for a bottle of paint than I ever used to spend on a whole kit back when I first started. Al
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 06:08 AM UTC
I tend to not buy a lot of after market stuff, myself. The paints and glues I consider consumable items so I don't sweat those too much either.

I'm just floored at the cost of kits these days. I got excited this morning when I got an email from Squadron saying that they were running a sale. I have been absolutely jones-ing for the Trumpeter FROG-7 / Luna-M kit. It's still $108...on sale!

I sometimes think I'm in the wrong line of work!

southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 06:12 AM UTC
go buy a winch for your sailboat.

that'll make modeling seem pale by comparison.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 06:14 AM UTC
I just looked in my display case where I have my finished kits, and there are 23 finished tank models in there on Friuls, with another 7 or 8 sets in the stash, un-used as of now. Talk about wondering where the money went....
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just looked in my display case where I have my finished kits, and there are 23 finished tank models in there on Friuls, with another 7 or 8 sets in the stash, un-used as of now. Talk about wondering where the money went....

Hey Russ!

Bringing anything good to SuperCon this year?

BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 06:16 AM UTC
I have many hobbies and model building is the 2nd cheapest behind computer/xbox gaming. I also build/collect firearms and build most of my own furniture. It's best to not ponder how much I've spent on those last two hobbies.
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 06:48 AM UTC
I get what you are saying, Greg, but there are worse hobbies. With us, we can at least look at the shelves and still have some tangible evidence of where our discretionary dollars went. If gambling is your hobby, you can enjoy the experience at the time, but for most of us, we won't be coming home with too much $$. If you like to travel, again, you get the experience and some pictures. And as someone else said, take up boating, or refinishing a 1:1 car, or even golf. Then you'll be spending some money.

Modeling is my only real hobby, and the most important thing is that I don't spend more than I can afford. If you can do that, I think you're doing OK, no matter how many kits are on the shelves. My own stash is small by most standards, I would think, but I like the larger softskins from Trumpeter, so I have spent a little bit. :-) I don't get into all the extras, though. Mostly because I suck at the PE.
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 07:11 AM UTC
I have my lifetime collection stash of plastic along with a large 'Grey Army' of metal and resin figures insured for £30K on the house insurance policy. That said, it is all relative as it is about the same sum as a good mate of mine has just spent on a convertible as a Summer only 'Boy's Toy'.

As the old saying goes - "How can you have too much of something that you never even needed in the first place"...!

Bottom line, if kits make you happy to buy and stash them, well, just buy them and keep the hobby going. After all, if we all just 'bought one,built one, bought one' then the hobby as we know it could not exist; if at all.

Gary
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 08:51 AM UTC
I'm wholly with you, Gary N.! If having kits makes you happy (and buying them isn't crashing your budget or placing you at real financial risk into your future), go buy them, stash them, and build them if you can and want to do so! And hey, if you leave a stash behind when you go... your heirs can likely get some money out of them, and likely they could do some other folks good even if donated or given away. What's not to like about that?

Consider the alternatives.... Yes, experiences are often cool, and pictures of past adventures perhaps interesting to you and maybe to some few others. But let's be realistic, here.... How much of the money spent flying around, in bars and clubs, drinking by yourself, playing pool, golf, or bunko, or spent at movies and ball-games and restaurants can ever be recovered or enjoyed by your heirs?
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Russ!

Bringing anything good to SuperCon this year?

Richard! Howzit goin?
Ah, PM me the date? I've kind of dropped off the edge down here (Dripping Springs) but would love to try and make it. I imagine I could bring a couple of models.... I miss the DFW bunch.

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 10:02 AM UTC
I look at what the kits cost then and what they cost now, relative to wage growth. The stash was an investment! Partially due to Aussie dollar fluctuations and partially due to the ridiculously escalating cost of postage.

I buy from a guy in my club that imports some brands and the cost from him is usually less than the cost to get them from Hong Kong. I also buy a lot second hand from guys in my club or at the annual swap meet here, and the cost of a kit and accessories from there is usually less than the cost of the kit brand new on its own.

Even so, my spending now is way down on what I did in the past...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was driving along the other day and was contemplating the cost of the kits in my stash and of the many accessories and paint I have ordered for those kits. If the kits average $50, I am looking at more than $3000. Accessories probably average close to that with Photoetch, metal barrels, aftermarket track, and paint. Humm... That is a lot of cash sitting on the shelf. Careful what you ponder.

Greg,
Having worked in the local Hobby Shop industry, I have to say you are really looking at it the wrong way. Models are a lot like automobiles, they lose about 20% of their value after you "drive them off the lot" so to speak. If you are estimating retail value alone, all LHS on-line shops buy at or below wholesale, and many of the on-line shops sell just above wholesale if they deal in volume, which is why they charge variable rates for postage. It's even worse for paint and accessories. I've bought, sold and traded models for years, and I've never gotten what I paid for them. So really, your cash isn't really "sitting on the shelf", it vanished when you popped that box open to look at the sprues. The right way to look at it is the pleasure you get from either collecting or building those kits, not how much they cost you. I'm discounting the "classic" and rare" resell market, where a classic or rare kit can fetch high market value on eBay or other secondary market. However, not all kits will qualify. So, when I survey my stash, I try not to think of the $$$ invested, but the ability and latitude I have to choose a kit when and where I want to build It, not at the whims of what's available on the market. That's what my investment brings, and it hasn't got much to do with the price tag on the box.
I'm rather selective in what genre I buy into, so as not to be overwhelmed by every "new thing" to come along. I've seen folks who have amassed huge stashes, then lost interest because they were buying everything, and building nothing. I've also seen folks drag massive stashes into a Hobby Shop, expecting the owner to buy them back at retail prices---that's not going to happen. So, when you look at value "on the shelf", don't add up the $$$, look at the pleasure level that stash produces.
VR, Russ
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Greg,
Having worked in the local Hobby Shop industry, I have to say you are really looking at it the wrong way. Models are a lot like automobiles, they lose about 20% of their value after you "drive them off the lot" so to speak. If you are estimating retail value alone, all LHS on-line shops buy at or below wholesale, and many of the on-line shops sell just above wholesale if they deal in volume, which is why they charge variable rates for postage. It's even worse for paint and accessories. I've bought, sold and traded models for years, and I've never gotten what I paid for them. So really, your cash isn't really "sitting on the shelf", it vanished when you popped that box open to look at the sprues. The right way to look at it is the pleasure you get from either collecting or building those kits, not how much they cost you. I'm discounting the "classic" and rare" resell market, where a classic or rare kit can fetch high market value on eBay or other secondary market. However, not all kits will qualify. So, when I survey my stash, I try not to think of the $$$ invested, but the ability and latitude I have to choose a kit when and where I want to build It, not at the whims of what's available on the market. That's what my investment brings, and it hasn't got much to do with the price tag on the box.
I'm rather selective in what genre I buy into, so as not to be overwhelmed by every "new thing" to come along. I've seen folks who have amassed huge stashes, then lost interest because they were buying everything, and building nothing. I've also seen folks drag massive stashes into a Hobby Shop, expecting the owner to buy them back at retail prices---that's not going to happen. So, when you look at value "on the shelf", don't add up the $$$, look at the pleasure level that stash produces.
VR, Russ

I see my stash as an investment for when I retire and have to live on my pension, possibly not being able to buy kits.
I will not need to buy any kits then and what I am paying for them now is probably a lot less than what they might cost in the future
/ Robin
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Greg,
VR, Russ

I see my stash as an investment for when I retire and have to live on my pension, possibly not being able to buy kits.
I will not need to buy any kits then and what I am paying for them now is probably a lot less than what they might cost in the future
/ Robin

By this logic I should be buying more! I like the way you think Robin.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 01:33 PM UTC
Russ, I was thinking if I built each kit as I acquired them, then I got the value I paid and I would theoretically be at a zero-sum. Work enjoyed and kit complete. The stash tells me that I spent a ton and haven't done anything with it. Sort of like buying a vintage car to restore and never working on it. We all know someone like that.

Robin, Retirement is 4 years down the road and like you, I use that as my excuse when a nice kit becomes available.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 02:07 PM UTC
Our son in law collects guns, hunts, deep sea fishes,and tournament golfs. I spend 2% of my pension on my modeling, my only hobby. My wife just smiles at me in approval.
I've got about 500 kits downstairs, bought over the last 20 years up to the most recent mostly at shows, 30-40% off, no shipping, with aftermarket for most. I never have to buy another kit again, but I still do when something really cool comes out. Whatever is left when I'm gone, my wife can sell at our club table at Armorcon for some pretty cash.
At $70 for a kit, I'm much more selective at what I buy now, but if I want it, I get it. $70 is Chili's and a movie for me and the wife, which is a non-event, so what's the big deal?
For $70, I get a kit I can enjoy finishing and displaying on my shelf. For $100, my son in law gets a round of golf and ends up with sweaty clothes, a card and a little pencil. So who's the wiser? I think we get the better deal. Modeling is a great, rewarding, and comparatively inexpensive hobby.
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 02:09 PM UTC
I have a modest stash, 180 armour,softskins,etc. I bought about 40 of the Dragon kits for around $30 to $45 US, IN 2007 our Canadian dollar was at par. Now the Canadian is about 75 cents and the same kits are going for $70 US and up. By my way of thinking Im already ahead of the game. But what do I know, I cant seem to finish anything.....Dale
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 02:10 PM UTC
This is why I wish we had a Like button in the forums!

Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 02:48 PM UTC
I’m retired and I burn a lot of my time on our hobby. I too have a huge stash. I’ll probably never build them all, yet I keep adding to my stash.
ITS AN ADDICTION.
But a lot better than drugs.

Enjoy both the collecting and the building

I’m just not sure what my kids will do with all of it when I die...
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 03:02 PM UTC
I’ve always said compared to the model railroad or RC guys, we have it pretty cheap.
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 03:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just floored at the cost of kits these days. I got excited this morning when I got an email from Squadron saying that they were running a sale. I have been absolutely jones-ing for the Trumpeter FROG-7 / Luna-M kit. It's still $108...on sale!

A little off topic, but 9 times outta 10 those Squadron sales aren't worth it. They advertise 80% off, but that's for some after-market item like 3 people need, while their inflated kit prices drop by a few dollars. That remaining 10% though have some good deals, scored the Trumpeter Uragan (based on the same chassis as the FROG-7) in the 70 dollar range not long ago. Mostly I use ScaleHobbyist or Ebay.

More on topic, I view my hobbies as cost vs time. I'm a slow builder, so even a modest kit will take me a long time. A $100 kit can keep me busy for over a month worth of spare time, how many hours is that, 20? 40? That works out to $2.50 - 5.00 per hour, and I can take a lot longer than a month to build. That's a cheap source of entertainment. I'll regularly blow 10 bucks on a meal from Wendy's that takes me 10 minutes to eat followed by 4 hours of regret. Same with a 6 pack, 11 bucks, a few hours spent on a laid back night and that's it. This is a fairly cheap hobby, but as I see from some newbies, some are daunted by the startup cost of a couple hundred for tools, paint, airbrush, and a kit.

I track all my expenses, and for this year a little north of 3% of my total expenses has been on this hobby. A drop in the bucket compared to my main 'hobby' of renovating my home.
Jacko464
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 05:43 PM UTC
All very good reasons I will get the other half to read when I want to add to the stash! 😀
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...For $70, I get a kit I can enjoy finishing and displaying on my shelf. For $100, my son in law gets a round of golf and ends up with sweaty clothes, a card and a little pencil....

my logic is that he gets to "use up" his money in 3 hours, and it might take you 100.

I have a couple of 30 year old kits i'm still intent on building. someday!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Out of curiosity, what would you be willing to pay for that kit?

KL
 _GOTOTOP