_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Predictions
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 11:12 AM UTC
I predicted this here some five years ago and was immediately poo-poohed for it: that some time in the future (sooner than I thought) we would be able to order a printing file (for a model part,etc.), download, and print it out on a home printer - you would have to have a good quality printer:
https://www.yeggi.com/q/tank/
No idea of what the quality of their files are like - I believe they are submitted by the public - it's an open source site. But this is just the beginning!

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 12:27 PM UTC
Cool!

I have another prediction:
The stash will continue to grow.

/ Robin
Removed by original poster on 08/27/19 - 10:58:26 (GMT).
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I predicted this here some five years ago and was immediately poo-poohed for it: that some time in the future (sooner than I thought) we would be able to order a printing file (for a model part,etc.), download, and print it out on a home printer

Can you find the thread with your original prediction for us?

People have been saying this would happen ever since 3D printing came out. The "poo-poohing", as I recall, was along the lines of "the cost will be much more than a regular kit or aftermarket piece" and "the quality of home printed models has a long way to go to match what comes in injection molded kits". Have those "poos" been overcome?

This one looks "fantastic", easily above the recent Hobby Boss T-50 kit and equal to something from Tamiya, RFM, or Meng.

KL
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I predicted this here some five years ago and was immediately poo-poohed for it: that some time in the future (sooner than I thought) we would be able to order a printing file (for a model part,etc.), download, and print it out on a home printer

People have been saying this would happen ever since 3D printing came out. The "poo-poohing", as I recall, was along the lines of "the cost will be much more than a regular kit or aftermarket piece" and "the quality of home printed models has a long way to go to match what comes in injection molded kits". Have those "poos" been overcome?

This one looks "fantastic", easily above the recent Hobby Boss T-50 kit and equal to something from Tamiya, RFM, or Meng.

KL

Just give it another 30 or 50 years
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool!

I have another prediction:
The stash will continue to grow.

/ Robin

Another prediction....doesn't matter the media, people will complain about it..not good enough, cost to much and it's not modeling, it's not even assembling it's blah, blah blah...
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 01:17 AM UTC
Another prediction; At some point in the future, we'll have Star Trek-type "replicators," so instead of saying "Earl Grey, hot," we'll just say "T-62, Syrian, Six Day War," and a perfect replica will appear in the tray.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another prediction; At some point in the future, we'll have Star Trek-type "replicators," so instead of saying "Earl Grey, hot," we'll just say "T-62, Syrian, Six Day War," and a perfect replica will appear in the tray.

...and then modelling will become programming!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 02:32 AM UTC
Having had many opportunities to work with home printed objects I can say that the time spent cleaning them up, filling the gaps between layers (inevitable regardless of layer thickness, temp and material used to print), adding correct surface texture (again extremely difficult if not impossible) make home printers pretty much useless in a fine detail oriented hobby like ours. Unless you can spend 10's of thousands of dollars for a liquid style or other extremely fine layer printer, the only plus in "home 3D printing" is that people are designing parts that they offer and can be printed by commercial printing companies.

One offshoot of the new tech is the development of 3D milling that is a modification of existing printers. I'm waiting to see the results of those first hand.

So get to know the neighbor kid who knows how to use the software to design the part you want, rapid prototype it, then send it off to a commercial printing service.

RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 03:23 AM UTC
Take a look at how Panzer Concepts, Billie, is working when designing and manufacturing kits.
Some is cast resin, some is 3D-printed, add in some stock profiles and stuff.
/ Robin
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you think I'm going to scroll through hundred's of pages I've got another prediction for you!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you think I'm going to scroll through hundred's of pages I've got another prediction for you!

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That would have to be a heckuva big tray.

VR, Russ
kaleu
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 04:50 AM UTC
I would be happy with a 1/35 Polish T-55 engine deck and maybe their L shaped fuel tanks.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Then it's not a prediction, just more BS, eh wot?

KL
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 03:02 PM UTC
I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer for a large aerospace company and he sometimes does 3D printing for fun. A package showed up in the mail one day and it was a 10 inch long 3D model of the USS Monitor. It had about 12 parts. Not bad. Was not up to current molding capabilities but compared to an early 60's model. The printer they had was an older printer. I would be curious how it would look with their state of the art printer. Just keep in mind the production time. The Monitor took 10 hours of printing. That alone prevents it from being used for mass production.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 06:23 PM UTC
My friend is going to print up some paint and tool organizers for me. I found the patterns on thingiverse. He's had printers for several years starting with a delta capable of printing something about 6 inches across to several custom cartesians, the latest with a 2 foot bed. He's printed car parts, quad copter parts, tons of things but again the surface on home printed items is just awful and it can take hours to a single print. I'm going to get some upgrade parts for the Zvezda/Revell Star Destroyer from Shapeways, high quality finish but you do pay about as much for resin upgrades.
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 01:15 AM UTC
Yeah, I made the same prediction the moment I saw an early 3D printer. We're in the early stages of some really exciting technology - Star Trek replicators might be possible someday. I think we'll be printing bone grafts and teeth and noses and ears for normal use within a decade. Modeling is a really exciting use - instead of ordering something from China that takes months to get here on a slow ship with customs and strikes and other things to slow it down, you'll place an order with Amazon that will be a software file sent directly to your model workshop printer.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Then it's not a prediction, just more BS, eh wot?

KL

Well...if one of us is BS, I KNOW it's NOT me! Read this thread from April 1, 2015 (no joke!!):
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/233575&ord=&page=1
PS: Why must you be such a Troll??
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 05:22 AM UTC
Meng's AFV Modeller issue 89, July/August 2016 has an interesting cover story about the first 1/35 printed kit. It looked good in 2016 so it should look better in 2019 with the advancements in 3D printing. But this was done on commercial printers and even today you couldn't print something like this on a home 3D printer. But the article shows a path that our hobby could take for whole kits not just aftermarket parts that are currently available.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we'll be printing bone grafts and teeth and noses and ears for normal use within a decade.

Cool! I can become my own Mr Potato-head! Why print "normal" parts when there's so much scope for creativity...

The days of home-printing a model kit are still some way off, so I'll keep the stash for now. But the idea of a printed kit is something that will come to fruition eventually. And with colour printers we might not even need to base-coat it. (But weathering will always remain a hand-crafted thing.)
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC
With the right printer you can get very nice results now. Here is an article from Mike Roof of AMPS Central South Carolina

http://nebula.wsimg.com/fc5c4368beb0304cb3be1f7635ef8fea?AccessKeyId=390FC1B05917598DCDF5&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Sean
mudlark
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...and then modelling will become programming!

I'm more of a Lapsang souchong man myself
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 01:40 AM UTC
I agree we aren't up to having home printers doing model kits yet, but I think there's a good chance of a transitional phase where there are shops (like UPS stores) with commercial printers in them, all over the place. Like Shapeways on a 7-11 model. You'd have the model-programmer in China email the files to your local Shapeways then go pick up the printed pieces. Quicker and cheaper than shipping them from overseas.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree we aren't up to having home printers doing model kits yet, but I think there's a good chance of a transitional phase where there are shops (like UPS stores) with commercial printers in them, all over the place. Like Shapeways on a 7-11 model. You'd have the model-programmer in China email the files to your local Shapeways then go pick up the printed pieces. Quicker and cheaper than shipping them from overseas.

Not just that but you could tailor your order to your skill level or B.S tolerance, include an interior or remove one, individual track links or length and link type, zimmerit or not, stowage or any other A.M. part. However I don't believe you could improve on turned metal barrels. But the cool thing is you can get the kits in 1/35 or any other scale you wanted. Want a 1/25 Easy 8? No problem, will be a bit more expensive. Same if you want a 1/16 kit. You wanna get weird? Order a Gustav in 1/43 scale.
 _GOTOTOP