_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Converting Meng M4A3 to a OP Cobra vehicle
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 12:12 PM UTC
I already have a Tiger model Designs USC T23 turret. Im just not sure which cupolas to buy Early, late, high low etc. Thanks for any help in advance.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I already have a Tiger model Designs USC T23 turret. Im just not sure which cupolas to buy Early, late, high low etc. Thanks for any help in advance.

The Free French M4A3 Champagne is the earliest known 76mm gunned tank (as far as I know). There is a very good walk around of the tank here:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_villesurillon/index.html

Cobra started in late July, and the first M4A3 76mm tanks were coming into service in late August. The M4A1 76mm tanks were available for Cobra in small numbers.

tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 11:27 PM UTC
Don't ask me what I was thinking when I posted that. I actually meant to ask about the new Asuka M4A1 76, not the Meng M4A3.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 12:03 AM UTC
The only other thing you will need is the cross-pin loaders hatch available from TMD. Also, leave off the ventilation cover in between the driver and codrivers position. You will also need some periscope guards.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't ask me what I was thinking when I posted that. I actually meant to ask about the new Asuka M4A1 76, not the Meng M4A3.

DEF makes a nice non-threaded gun barrel, #DM35049.
shermadude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 161 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi,
I ordered the TMD cross threaded hatch and what I got was the later non-cross threaded split hatch. Fortunately I had very good photos of the cross threaded hatch and was able to modify the TMD parts. So,unless they've corrected it don't waste your money on the TMD offering. Save your money and just modify the Asuka hatch.
Regards,Bob
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I ordered the TMD cross threaded hatch and what I got was the later non-cross threaded split hatch. Fortunately I had very good photos of the cross threaded hatch and was able to modify the TMD parts. So,unless they've corrected it don't waste your money on the TMD offering. Save your money and just modify the Asuka hatch.
Regards,Bob

TMD makes both types and they have sequential item numbers. The only difference is the hatch ring and the hatches. Perhaps you or they selected the wrong item.

Since the term "cross-pin" causes so much confusion (and is not original anyway), it might be better if people used "pin locking" and "hook locking" to describe these hatch types.

KL
shermadude
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi,
Good point,Kurt. I've always had good luck with TMD,so maybe it was just an error. The picture in their catalog certainly looks correct for that hatch. Anyway I wasn't out anything,I got a nice hatch to use on my Asuka M4A3 76mm!
Regards,Bob
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 08:39 PM UTC
I tried to order that hatch a few years ago and got the wrong one as well. I just called and he sent me one of every hatch he makes and I got the one I needed. Give it a shot.
Jeff
shermadude
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,
Good idea,wished I'd have thought of it at the time. Anyway I already converted the Asuka hatch and the build is nearly complete so there's no need for it now. I just wanted to let everyone know what happened to me. It was my own fault for not following up on it the way you did. Live and learn.
Regards,Bob
 _GOTOTOP