_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
New Kit from Commander Models
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,

In case you don't know, my partner Ted Paris, has retired and is finally going to enjoy the down time he's worked for 30 years to achieve. All the production has been moved to Tennessee, and we're back in operation again. So, back to releasing some kits.

Our newest kit is the US T7 Combat Car. This is a full kit, with the unique track of the vehicle. You can order it here:

http://ironshipwrights.com/armor/armor_monthspecials.html

And, here's a picture of the pattern:

Finally, Ted says thanks for the great ride, and he'll be missing seeing all of you around.

Jon Warneke
Commander Models, Inc.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 03:15 AM UTC
"In November 1936, the US Army's cavalry branch decided to modernize and needed a fully armored vehicle, capable of keeping up with the cavalry and of fulfilling regular combat duties. Prohibited from developing tanks by the National Defense Act of 1920 which defined "tanks" as the responsibility of the infantry, the phrase "combat car" was used as a legal formality. The T5 Combat Car had been built on similar lines to the infantry's T2 Light Tank, leading to the M1 Combat Car.[1] After the T4 Combat Car had been tested, the Ordnance Committee recommended working on a road-track convertible tank design. The T6 Combat Car design was cancelled but in November 1936 the Chief of Cavalry ordered that work continue on designing a convertible tank.[2] Designed and built at the Rock Island Arsenal between 1937 and 1938, the T7 Combat Car was based on the M1 Combat Car but with an extended chassis and a convertible suspension – the ability to travel using wheels or tracks.[3] Theoretically, it was more versatile than a conventional tank, having the ability to move with and without tracks on roads, much like the Christie designed tanks. The main gun of the project was traditional – one .50 cal (12.7 mm) M2 Browning heavy machine gun and three .30 caliber (7.62 mm) M1919 machine guns. However, this armament was useful only against infantry, and was inadequate for use against other tanks of the period.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T7_Combat_Car

/ Robin
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC
Jon - very glad the saga of "COMMANDER MODELS" can continue.

Best of luck to both you and Ted.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 07:17 AM UTC
The link doesn’t load.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 06:24 AM UTC
Jon,

I reckon that Commander Models would be just the chaps to produce a 1:35 M59 APC!

I also understand you were considering re-producing your MBT 70; I do hope so.

All the very best.

Brian
taylorrl
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 06:56 AM UTC
Jon,

Your collection of between the wars US artillery would be complete with addition of:
240mm Howitzer Model 1918
M1906 4.7-Inch Gun
M1902 3-Inch Gun

thanks,

Rick
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon,

I reckon that Commander Models would be just the chaps to produce a 1:35 M59 APC!

Brian

If they do, I've got all the measurements they need.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC
Robert,

The more I think about it, the more I want it to happen!

"Perchance to dream".

Of course, if I was a half decent scratch-builder I should, with a fair wind, be able to tackle this. If, if of course, Commander Models did undertake this, they could also throw in a set of AFV Club tracks as they did with their MBT 70. Hmmm.

Oh well, fingers crossed.

Brian
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon,

All the very best.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The MBT-70 has some of the parts already complete, and I'm waiting for a shipment from Ted of some of the stuff we left behind in Rochester to see if the missing parts are in it. If not, it'll take a couple of weeks to regenerate the molds. The M59 I have looked at, as well as the M44 and M75. We'll see what we can do.

Jon
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jon,

All the very best.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The MBT-70 has some of the parts already complete, and I'm waiting for a shipment from Ted of some of the stuff we left behind in Rochester to see if the missing parts are in it. If not, it'll take a couple of weeks to regenerate the molds. The M59 I have looked at, as well as the M44 and M75. We'll see what we can do.

Jon

Jon,

Brilliant - can't ask for more than that. Just for info - in case you are unaware - Retrokits (a Belgian manufacturer) do indeed produce a M75.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Brian
hazzardm
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 12:06 AM UTC
Pencil me in for a MBT70, that will match my T17, T23, T25, T29 and on-going Pilot T95!!

MJH
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 12:43 AM UTC
I'm glad that you're back and this looks lovely. Your T23 kit is still a small gem of a resin kit and one of these days I'm going to finally pull down the M7 kit and get it built. Since you have the suspension done for the AC1 have you looked into doing an Ac3 or AC4 sentinel? The Australian archives finally published the engineering drawings on line this past year.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jon,

All the very best.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Jon

Would you also consider a pre-war T49/67? I have a complete 3D model created and I tried to manufacture it myself but I couldn't do it.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 08:29 AM UTC
Pity poor Jon!

He posts a very worthy addition to the modelling genre, then gets besieged by all and sundry - including me - with the inevitable request for the esoteric.

Unavoidable perhaps, but I do feel for the guy!

Brian
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you also consider a pre-war T49/67? I have a complete 3D model created and I tried to manufacture it myself but I couldn't do it.

Hi Mike,

I have actually looked at the T49/67 as a possible release. The exposed suspension has been the reason that I haven't proceeded on one, since it would be a promanent feature of the kit. If you have good references to show what the suspension looks like, I am willing to forgo the Humber Mk I AC as the next subject.

Jon
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Mike,

I have actually looked at the T49/67 as a possible release. The exposed suspension has been the reason that I haven't proceeded on one, since it would be a promanent feature of the kit. If you have good references to show what the suspension looks like, I am willing to forgo the Humber Mk I AC as the next subject.

Jon

I'll send you a message.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Mike,

Jon

I'll send you a message.

The wallet is waiting ...
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pity poor Jon!

He posts a very worthy addition to the modelling genre, then gets besieged by all and sundry - including me - with the inevitable request for the esoteric.

It's just a variation on the ol' "Company A is releasing a kit of X" followed within a half hour by "They should've made a kit of Z."

And you can see why the mainline companies never post here or on other internet forums. It's like mauling a celebrity at an airport and demanding a selfie.

KL
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pity poor Jon!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Actually, this is a good exercise for me, since it give me an idea of where to proceed with subjects. Both of the requests are kits I've comtemplated, but held up do to lack of information on certain aspects of the subject. Knowing the AMS of some, these requests will point the research I do in the proper direction. Hey, one guy made me find the suspension design for the T4 Medium's modified Christie suspension by accident, so why not find the T49's modified Christie suspension. Kinda the same genre...

Jon
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 - 02:50 AM UTC
Jon,

That's very gracious of you; without being too selfish I am looking forward to the re-issue of your MBT 70 - and I was in touch with Commander Models earlier this year encouraging just such a release! Whilst I've built one I'm still keen to get hold of a few more.

Even your consideration of all our requests gives us hope I am sure, though equally, I am also sure that you'll never please everybody, but please keep up the good work.

Clearly a good time to be a modeller (and a manufacturer!)

Brian
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 01:47 AM UTC
Amen to that!

What a selection of models we have out there today.

(As far as assailing Jon, I too am guilty. Perhaps more than others.)
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 12:08 AM UTC
Looking at the model more closely, those wheels are beautiful! In a world awash in German paper panzers, I'm glad you all are tackling so many of the USA's experimental and missing link designs.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... and missing link designs.

..on the subject of tracked vehicles ...

My kit is currently sitting in the export terminal in Miami ..
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC
Saw an M59 ONCE in the LST Building on Knox. So big there was room for a small apartment inside.

WOW over 6000 built. I guess I was just a child of the M113 era, born too late to have experienced this one.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... and missing link designs.

..on the subject of tracked vehicles ...

My kit is currently sitting in the export terminal in Miami ..

Wow, that package was shipped Priority Express and is supposed to be to you by Tuesday. Let me know if it doesn't get there, and I'll go start filing the paperwork to get the postage back sometime in 2022...

Jon
 _GOTOTOP