_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Leopard C2 MEXAS Afghanistan 2007
gibbo
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi all,
As I usually only do Australian Armour subjects, that have had deployments/active service. I need a bit of a change.
While I was stopping by Kandahar in mid 2007. I notice a Canadian C2 Leopard 1 in MEXAS kit.
First thing, I was impressed. Have seen Leo 1s up close in the Australian (even spent a week as a fill gunner on one). I know they were a pretty good tank (I’m CAV, so I never really showed much interest in Tankie stuff). But reports when I was deployed these things were running amok.

I plan to build one of these from around mid 2007.
Not been an expert and wanting to build an accurate scale kit of an C2 from that period, I need some help/guidance.

I understand there are a couple full kits and conversion out there. Which is the Best?
What enhancements/updates are out there? To improve and make it accurate for mid 2007
What reference material is around? Books/DVD.
Hopefully I want to start this kit this year.

Cheers,

Gibbo
V33B
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 02:29 AM UTC
I'm not sure whether you are able to get hold of a copy out there in Oz, but the September issue of Military Modelcraft International (published here in the UK by Guideline Publications) includes some excellent coverage of the Canadian Leopard C2 MEXAS: and article on 'Operation Athena' (deployment of Canadian armour in Afghanistan); an in-depth study of the Leopard C2 in Afghanistan (by Carl Schulze); and a build feature by Fabrizio Pincelli of Takom's Leopard C2 MEXAS.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 02:34 AM UTC
Trackpad has an excellent specific book on the subject:
https://www.trackpadpublishing.com/product-page/canadian-leopard-c2-mexas-in-afghanistan
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 03:01 AM UTC
My go-to place for any Leo related would be the Leopard Club webpage. They have reviews of both C2 MEXAS kits that are available in plastic.

Takom
http://www.leopardclub.ca/reviews/Takom/C2_MEXAS/

Meng
http://www.leopardclub.ca/reviews/Meng/C2-MEXAS/

At the end of each review you'll find links to references and detail sets and so on. In the Takom review you'll also find links to reviews of the PSM, Legend and Trackjam conversion sets. To me it seem like the Meng kit would be the way to go.

Cheers,
/E
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 05:01 AM UTC
Gibbo

There is a book on the C2 MEXAS done by RealModels from the Czech republic.Plus, there are 2 reference DVD's available from Trackjam Models, they are your best reference out there on the Canadian C2 MEXAS Leopards.

Plus, I am an EX-C2 MEXAS commander, who commanded one during the period you would like to model. The TAKOM kit is to be avoided. unless you want to fix lots of issues. The MENG kit is good, as well as the Hobby Boss kit.

If you have any questions with your build feel free to ask me anytime.

Cheers

Anthony
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a book on the C2 MEXAS done by RealModels from the Czech republic

That should be the same Trackpad book I mentioned. I don't think there are two different ones.
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That should be the same Trackpad book I mentioned. I don't think there are two different ones.

The book is sold by them, not authored by them.

Anthony
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

To clear up any misunderstandings here, as Anthony says the Real Models C2 MEXAS book is sold by Trackpad, not published by us. Anthony is the co-author of the book.
gibbo
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 09:07 PM UTC
Thanks to all that reply to this request.

Its made things a lot easier to get together and start the build.
After having a look at Leopard Club webpage reviews. I will be going with the Meng Leo. Also using Leopard Club work shop upgrades is almost a one stop shop.
Will be getting my hands on the Canadian Leopard C2 MEXAS Project and Real Model book.

Anthony, I plan to build your Leopard. Dozer tank is something a bit different and as stated. I like modelling vehicles that were operational. If I can drop you an email using your PM address from your profile let me know.

Off topic a bit. I did talk to the crews and go over the Canadian LAV lll, while there. Impressed by their opening up turret drills and knowledge of their own vehicles. Also discussed SOPs and TTPs etc. Took some valuable info back to Tarin Kowt. Also when transiting into and out of country, stayed near the Canadians, was humbled by their memorial to their fallen.

Gibbo
V33B
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 - 12:37 PM UTC
Gibbo

You can contact me anytime via e-mail : teutonicknights(at)shaw(dot)ca

Or if you are on Facebook , you can find my ugly mug there.

If anyone has any questions with the Canadian Leopards, feel free to contact me anytime.

Anthony
gibbo
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 - 11:07 PM UTC
Thanks Anthony,

Email on its way

Gibbo
V33B
gibbo
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 11:32 PM UTC
Cheers all,
Anthony, emailed you yesterday on the email provided. I use hotmail, so it might have gone to your junk box.

Cheers,

Gibbo
 _GOTOTOP