_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AAVP-7 OIF help needed
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hi to all!!! I'm starting work on an AAVP-7 with EAAK by Hobbyboss. I'm planning on doing for an OIF diorama. My intention is to have it painted all in the sand color scheme. My doubt is about interior colours. Basically I have no idea in waht colour should I do the internal sides of all hatches and ramp. Also, I hava doubts about the floor. In all the reference pictures I've foud it's so dusty that it's hard to tell. In some of the pictures it looks as if it was in painted in the green of the NATO colour scheme. Could someone shed some light on these questions I have? Many thanks in advance!!!!
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 02:28 PM UTC
http://www.primeportal.net/apc/jeff_derosa/aav-7/
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 02:46 PM UTC

Yep... those are some of the photos I've been looking as reference. Hard to tell the real colour of the floor. The hatches seem to be nato green, but I wonder if sand coloured vehicles would also have them in gren or if they would match the overall colour.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 02:48 PM UTC
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 02:59 PM UTC
Gino knows his stuff.
I saw one photo with the ramp down. It looked like it was the same MERDC camo as the rest of the track. Floors would be anti slip .... I use gunship grey for that sorta stuff. Plus a good coating of dust. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/aav-7-hatches-t119459.html
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 12:13 AM UTC
You can take a look at Daniel Attilio's reference pics :

https://s10.photobucket.com/user/deattilio/library/Amtracs/AAS?page=1

H.P.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 01:04 AM UTC
Daniel Attilo is kind of our resident subject matter expert on the LVT/AAV 7 since he crewed the beasties. I was in a few of them myself, however I have to confess I never took note of the color of the deck under my feet, but it was pretty dusty. The inside of the ramp in all of the tracks I was in was green (but I honestly cannot remember what color the outside was). In all likelihood you wouldn't be remiss in showing it in green, but Daniel will possibly have a better answer for you.
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can take a look at Daniel Attilio's reference pics :

https://s10.photobucket.com/user/deattilio/library/Amtracs/AAS?page=1

H.P.

AMAZING photo gallery!!! Of GREAT help for the build! Many thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC
To add to what the others have said, the inside of the hatches (TC, Driver, top troop hatches, rear ramp, etc.) are usually the same color as the exterior of the vehicle (green for NATO camo and sand for sand). I say usually as sometimes, a NATO camo vehicle will be repainted sand and the hatch interiors are left green. The interior as a whole is seafoam green, including the floor. Tamiya Sky is close, but a little too light for me. I like using Krylon Pistachio in the spray can. It is a perfect match for seafoam green.
laskdjn
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi! So I was an AAV crewman in the USMC from 2004-2009.

The vast majority of the tracks we had in country were actually not tan. They were virtually all woodland camo with the OD green EAAK panels. Even the 1 or 2 tan vehicles we had also used the OD green EAAK panels.

Most of the interior of the vehicle was seafoam as has been mentioned before. The ramp at the rear was just plain OD green on the inside. Also, the floor wasn't seafoam green, the deck was the same OD green as the rear ramp. Only the side bulkheads and ceiling(not including cargo hatches)were actually seafoam green.

The top cargo hatches, including the center support were also OD green on the inside, as were the drivers, TC, and turret hatches.

If you have any other questions, I'll try and drudge up whatever I can.
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi! So I was an AAV crewman in the USMC from 2004-2009.

The vast majority of the tracks we had in country were actually not tan. They were virtually all woodland camo with the OD green EAAK panels. Even the 1 or 2 tan vehicles we had also used the OD green EAAK panels.

Most of the interior of the vehicle was seafoam as has been mentioned before. The ramp at the rear was just plain OD green on the inside. Also, the floor wasn't seafoam green, the deck was the same OD green as the rear ramp. Only the side bulkheads and ceiling(not including cargo hatches)were actually seafoam green.

The top cargo hatches, including the center support were also OD green on the inside, as were the drivers, TC, and turret hatches.

If you have any other questions, I'll try and drudge up whatever I can.

Great info, many thanks!
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To add to what the others have said, the inside of the hatches (TC, Driver, top troop hatches, rear ramp, etc.) are usually the same color as the exterior of the vehicle (green for NATO camo and sand for sand). I say usually as sometimes, a NATO camo vehicle will be repainted sand and the hatch interiors are left green. The interior as a whole is seafoam green, including the floor. Tamiya Sky is close, but a little too light for me. I like using Krylon Pistachio in the spray can. It is a perfect match for seafoam green.

Many thanks for the info!
Monsoon
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 09:34 AM UTC
I have a question: Hanging stuff off the sides.

I've seen the cool Legend Productions stuff with rucks and whatnot, but how prevalent was this, and what usually was stowed outside?

Thanks!
laskdjn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a question: Hanging stuff off the sides.

I've seen the cool Legend Productions stuff with rucks and whatnot, but how prevalent was this, and what usually was stowed outside?

Thanks!

Depended on how many people we were carrying. Normally, we kept all our own stuff on the inside. If we were carrying grunts, we had them loop the straps of their packs on the cargo racks, hanging them from the sides. Their MRE boxes were thrown in the cargo racks on the side. Aside from that, we'd also put spare road wheels there and strap spare track blocks to the top of the vehicle. All serialized gear stayed with their respective marine.

All that being said, in country, I personally operated with grunts on board only once.

More often than not, we were used as a mobile armored heavy machine gun platform.

Edit: thinking back, my track personally had a tire strapped over the bow so we could ram stuff and we had a few strands of concertina wire strapped to our intake plenum for snap VCPs
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They were virtually all woodland camo with the OD green EAAK panels.

The ramp at the rear was just plain OD green/b] on the inside. Also, the floor wasn't seafoam green, the deck was the same [b]OD green as the rear ramp. Only the side bulkheads and ceiling(not including cargo hatches)were actually seafoam green.

Great info, just a couple clarifications. The hatch interiors and such are not OD green. It is forest green, which is different. It is the same green as in NATO camo. Also, the crews may have repainted the floors as the paint wore off, but they came from the factory seafoam green.
laskdjn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They were virtually all woodland camo with the OD green EAAK panels.

The ramp at the rear was just plain OD green/b] on the inside. Also, the floor wasn't seafoam green, the deck was the same [b]OD green as the rear ramp. Only the side bulkheads and ceiling(not including cargo hatches)were actually seafoam green.

Great info, just a couple clarifications. The hatch interiors and such are not OD green. It is forest green, which is different. It is the same green as in NATO camo. Also, the crews may have repainted the floors as the paint wore off, but they came from the factory seafoam green.

You are correct about the color name, I was generalizing and wasn't sure of the correct name.

However, I have to disagree with you about the deck plate covers. I've taken brand new refurbished aavp7a1 ram/RS's into custody from the depot and their deck plate covers were forst green from the factory. Underneath the deck plate covers in the bilge with the bilge pumps and torsion bars was seafoam though. We never operated without deck plate covers, as that made the aav unserviceable, so by floor I assumed he meant the deck plate covers.
laskdjn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 01:03 PM UTC
Also, I struggled to call the interior forest green the same as the green in the exterior camo because I don't remember them being exactly the same.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC
I have seen older LVTP7A1s with seafoam green deck plates. Maybe the newer AAVP7A1s come from rebuild with the forest green deck plates. The interior hatch color is forest green, but the color may look different due to the exterior color fading, weathering, etc., where the inner hatch surfaces don't weather as much.
laskdjn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 01:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen older LVTP7A1s with seafoam green deck plates. Maybe the newer AAVP7A1s come from rebuild with the forest green deck plates. The interior hatch color is forest green, but the color may look different due to the exterior color fading, weathering, etc., where the inner hatch surfaces don't weather as much.

That's certainly plausible.

But yeah, I operated both AAVP7A1s and their RAM/RS upgrades. None of either of those I've ever been on had seafoam green deck plates.

They look the same from the outside... except for the headlights and turret... and the exhaust... depending in the version, but the LVT7 is definitely not an AAVP7
laskdjn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 01:15 PM UTC
... and the addition of a bow plane...
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 02:06 PM UTC
Dang it!!!
I'm way behind on this one.
Exterior colors are all NATO colors: Black, Green 383 and Brown 383. Internal portions of hatches and deck is the Green 383. Interior is FS24585 "Paste Green," closest match I've come across is Mig's US APC Interior Green.
EAAK has some options, depending when it was sprayed. It could be all NATO Green, could be the NATO 3-tone matching the correct camouflage pattern or it could be the NATO 3-tone but no pattern due to panels being put on after already being painted in the camouflage pattern but panels not being put back to same locations.
Time also matters, early OIF (2003) was a hodge podge of green, tan and camo vehicles whereas later deployments tended to be camo. The AAVs initially staged at Fallujah (2004) were all RAM/RS and all 3-tone NATO. MEUs were a different story, bringing to country whatever they had on hand.
As for terminology, an LVTP7A1 and AAVP7A1 are the same thing. The Marine Corps decided to "modernize" the name however, vehicle data plates were "LVTP7A1." It wasn't until the RAM/RS mods that the data plates reflected "AAVP7A1."

Interior pics:
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/deattilio/library/Amtracs/Interior%20various
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bow plane was a modification introduced after production of the 7A1. There were two versions tested; the version that did not "win" was mounted and functioned similar to how the LAV's bow plane functions, much larger of course.
laskdjn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bow plane was a modification introduced after production of the 7A1. There were two versions tested; the version that did not "win" was mounted and functioned similar to how the LAV's bow plane functions, much larger of course.

That's all so crazy it's weird how much stuff changes even within a generation. It's also funny that it's called "paste green." I remember always just calling it seafoam when I was in, we had rattle cans of the stuff on hand for touch up.

I can't say I ever operated a track that wasn't 3-tone woodland camo nor have i personally ever seen eaak that wasn't plain green... or didn't have a bow plane, but that's just me in a small window of time. Also, every track I ever operated had the Cadillac gage turret, not the original with the single M2. However, we only operated tracks in country on my first deployment in 2006. My second deployment we were amgrunts.

Also, Daniel. YAT-YAS.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 11:03 PM UTC
Here's some pics I took over the years of Camp Lejuene based ones. These cover back to around 2005ish up to somewhat recently.

All pics I have show the forest green floors, hatch interiors, and ramp as mentioned already. One had red painted levers on the ramp. The crew hatches though have some varying color padding as can be seen:

AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 07:52 AM UTC
YAT-YAS!!!
I did 1992 - 2012 on AAVs, all 20-years split between Alpha, Echo 3D AABn, AVTB and AAS Bn.
I had to look up the NSN for the interior paint to find the color. "Pastel Green" sounded funny to me too.
I got to put rounds down range with the old turret one time, it was an M85 .50cal - the Ma-Deuce has nothing on the M85's rate of fire. The feed system was ridiculous though.

I plan on doing "my" tractors through my years.
I'm building/kit bashing one of the quirks we had at AVTB. It was an LVTP7 with RAM/RS suspension, bow plane and UGWS. We wound up stripping her of all useful parts and sticking her at Edson Range as an embark/debark training aide for recruits. The LVT we removed/exchanged from Edson Range was an LVTPX12 (what became the LVTP7), I kept the data plate from that one too. We got her "floatable" then she was shipped to FL and destroyed in some surface to air missile test.
 _GOTOTOP