_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
sd kfz 222 1/35 Tamiya kit accuracy?
AlexanderTheGrape
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 02:24 PM UTC
Hi fellow modellers,
I just picked up this kit from 2007, the tamiya 1/35 sd kfz 222
(this kit). I'm new to armor modelling but after a bit of searching online i found this kit's turret have some significant differences.

For example:
- the kit has two seats that are exactly the same, while source i found had a circular one on the left side with a back pad mounted on the turret.
- the kit doesn't have the Y shaped beam behind the gun mount, connecting to the turret shield on the back.
- the kit have two "turret steering wheel", i assume one for each axis, while the source had just one larger wheel that's facing the operator.
- finally the kit's have the "slit" headlight, while the source had a regular headlight.

Since the gun will be very visible on the top, i'm really wondering if the kit and the img i found are two different variations of the vehicle. Or is Tamiya's details are wrong due to old kit.
I hope if anyone knows this vehicle well can let me know.

thanks!

(the kit's gun)

(source showing the Y beam & the turret steering wheel)

(source showing the different left seat)
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 11:06 PM UTC
Apparently the Tamiya kit is very good as it features a correct version of the Sdkfz 222. Some more modern kits offer a mix of diiferent production versions. I don't know anything about the internal differences between production versions. You could try Panzertracts 13-1 Leichter Panzerspahwagen, or posting on the Missing Links Axis forum.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 12:52 AM UTC
The Tamiya kit represents a 222 armed with the earlier 2cm Kw.K 30. The traverse and elevation wheels are correct for that. The later Kw.K 38 (as in the photos) had a combined wheel. The Y beam does not seem to present for the earlier gun. Panzer Tracts 13-1 has a good picture of the Kw.K 30 mount but none for the Kw.K 38.

The interior of the Tamiya 223 is totally fabricated, but at least they remembered the radio, unlike Hobby Boss!

AlexanderTheGrape
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya kit represents a 222 armed with the earlier 2cm Kw.K 30. The traverse and elevation wheels are correct for that. The later Kw.K 38 (as in the photos) had a combined wheel. The Y beam does not seem to present for the earlier gun. Panzer Tracts 13-1 has a good picture of the Kw.K 30 mount but none for the Kw.K 38.

The interior of the Tamiya 223 is totally fabricated, but at least they remembered the radio, unlike Hobby Boss!

Ahh, cheers for the info! i would never have found it. Also my kit didn't even have a interior oh well it's a old kit and most of inside wouldn't be visible anyway.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 05:52 AM UTC
I think Erich Christ did a useful comparison between 222 kits on M-L a couple of years ago. I can also recommend the Panzer Tracts book - until I read that I hadn’t appreciated how many production series there were.
Redcap1960
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 06:26 AM UTC
Just to add to what others have already stated stated, the kit Tamiya produced is supposed o rock presents the last production variant, the Sd.Kfz. 222 Ausf. B - 5.Serie version of the vehicle. This used the newer and strengthened Horch s.Pkw.I Typ 801v chassis and running gear, rather than the earlier (and noticeably different) Typ 801 chassis.

A total of 990 of all series were produced during the war, 440 of the Ausf.A in four batches (Serie.1 to Serie.4) all containing upgrades and changes and 550 of the Ausf B variant (as per the Tamiya kit).

The gun mount, known as a Sockellafette, represented by the Tamiya kit is the type fitted to the earlier Ausf.A Serie.1 to 4 variants and not the Ausf.B.

The version you have could mount either a 2cm KwK.30 or later a 2cm KwK.38 autocannon. The Ausf.B mounted the latter gun, but somethings used the longer L/65 barrel as used on the FLaK 38.

Given its age and despite the issue with the gun mount and lack of internals, it still holds up well as a fairly accurate representation of a fascinating vehicle. Enjoy building it and check out the Hobby Boss kits of different variants of the same vehicle. They also have their issues but can still be turned into really nice vehicles with a bit of research, time, effort and energy.

Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to add to what others have already stated stated, the kit Tamiya produced is supposed o rock presents the last production variant, the Sd.Kfz. 222 Ausf. B - 5.Serie version of the vehicle. This used the newer and strengthened Horch s.Pkw.I Typ 801v chassis and running gear, rather than the earlier (and noticeably different) Typ 801 chassis.

A total of 990 of all series were produced during the war, 440 of the Ausf.A in four batches (Serie.1 to Serie.4) all containing upgrades and changes and 550 of the Ausf B variant (as per the Tamiya kit).

The gun mount, known as a Sockellafette, represented by the Tamiya kit is the type fitted to the earlier Ausf.A Serie.1 to 4 variants and not the Ausf.B.

The version you have could mount either a 2cm KwK.30 or later a 2cm KwK.38 autocannon. The Ausf.B mounted the latter gun, but somethings used the longer L/65 barrel as used on the FLaK 38.

Given its age and despite the issue with the gun mount and lack of internals, it still holds up well as a fairly accurate representation of a fascinating vehicle. Enjoy building it and check out the Hobby Boss kits of different variants of the same vehicle. They also have their issues but can still be turned into really nice vehicles with a bit of research, time, effort and energy.

This is really interesting info and part of why I love this forum, you can learn so much while seeing amazing builds come together. Thanks!

It looks really great so far Alex. I love the rear firewall/bulkhead. I'll be looking forward to this.
AlexanderTheGrape
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

-snip-

Cheers for the info gary, i ended up decide to try convert the gun into the later model as there weren't enough source i could find on the earlier version. There are some parts like the scope still need to be adjusted but i think i'm on the right track haha

I also tried to mimic some interior, it's by no means accurate but luckly once the turret is mounted it won't be seen much.
I saw the hobby boss kit just now it seemed to be a much more detailed kit but your right the tamiya kit is still holding up really well i'm gonna try make it as decent as possible

Quoted Text

This is really interesting info and part of why I love this forum, you can learn so much while seeing amazing builds come together. Thanks!
It looks really great so far Alex. I love the rear firewall/bulkhead. I'll be looking forward to this.

Thanks, btw i'm almost a beginner at on vehicle modelling i usually build ships, so don't expect too much! but it's definately a fun build for me.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 02:20 AM UTC
When I am building a dinosaur like the Sd.Kfz. 223, I look at what newer kits have. I use Hobby Search to look at the newer kit instructions to see what is missing.
Redcap1960
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 07:30 AM UTC
Alex,

You're welcome, it's looking good so far, keep at it and enjoy.
 _GOTOTOP