_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
K-9 unit in Iraq
Mtdustbuster
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 12:58 PM UTC
Does anyone know in Iraq when the K-9 units travel what vehicles do they travel in?? Is it unit specific or varied? The reason I’m asking I ran across legend resin K-9 unit and want to put them with a vehicle. I have in my stash an academy hummer, and Kenitics M-ATV and MRAP. Does anyone know if these would be correct or not?? Thanks in advance

Dust
laskdjn
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know in Iraq when the K-9 units travel what vehicles do they travel in?? Is it unit specific or varied? The reason I’m asking I ran across legend resin K-9 unit and want to put them with a vehicle. I have in my stash an academy hummer, and Kenitics M-ATV and MRAP. Does anyone know if these would be correct or not?? Thanks in advance

Dust

I worked with k9 units in Iraq who showed up in 7-tons,mraps, and hmmwvs
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 01:32 AM UTC
Short answer - depends on what you want to portray. The MWD teams attached to my unit in '06 had their own vehicles (M1114s), if they were accompanying a unit they rode with them in whatever transport that unit was using or provided their own. If they were heading to an ECP they would take their own vehicle with the guard force convoy to the ECP. We had them in LAV's in '03 on a couple raids as well.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 02:24 AM UTC
Same-same in the US Army. The MWD teams had their own uparmored HMMWV, usually an M1151 or the likes. Depending on the mission, they would either use their own vehicle or go on one of the supported unit's vehicles. Pretty much anything is correct.
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 07:31 AM UTC
If somebody wanted to portray a support Humvee for a K-9 team, is there anything a base Humvee needs added (aside from dishes and bowls)? Cages? Any change to the seats or other internals? Just curious now the subject is up.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 08:50 AM UTC
Maybe in the future they'll use the K-9 carrier version of the Flyer 72 ?

H.P.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If somebody wanted to portray a support Humvee for a K-9 team, is there anything a base Humvee needs added (aside from dishes and bowls)? Cages? Any change to the seats or other internals? Just curious now the subject is up.

The -1114 I helped the MWD team slave start had the dog loaded, so I can speak to that one team - nothing special aside from specific stowage they had chows for the handlers, dog, armor and muzzle for the dog, water for all; the dog rode sitting on a vehicle seat. The dog's kennel/crate and rigid bowls for that team stayed at their quarters, the handler had non-rigid bowls for the dog when they were outside the wire, and most of the dogs were pretty skilled at catching water squirted from a water bottle or camelback out of the air. The dog teams attached to my battalion also had a small paw print stenciled on the door where the dog sat.

The MWDs lived right next to the Bn. Aid Station on Camp Baharia, so I got fairly friendly with the handlers since I was the guy they came to for medical stuff. Worked out nice, I got my doggie fix (relatively speaking) and they got what they needed without a bunch of hassles with the supply system.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 01:40 AM UTC
Again, same in the Army as Ski outlined above. The dogs rode in one of the rear seats of the HMMWV. Nothing special on the trucks other than dog food and bowls.
 _GOTOTOP