_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
IDF Sho't Kal Yom Kippur 1/35
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

Have just bought my first tank in quite a few years and have realised lots has changed in the modelling world since I last built. Anyhow, have decided on a 1/35 Sho't from AFV. I have started out doing research on the subject matter and have decided that I want to build one from the Israeli 7th Armoured Brigade who served in the Golan during Yom Kippur. The 7th are regarded as one of the most brutal units in the IDF and did exceptionally well against the Syrians. Anyhow, what I wish to ask of the community is does anyone know whether Israeli armour used camouflage netting on their vehicles during Yom Kippur. Many thanks
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 03:23 AM UTC
A LOT has happened in the last 5 - 10 years.
Chinese companies are literally flooding us with kits.
We get kits of subjects that nobody would have dare to hope for.

I think someone else, plenty of IDF-modellers as well as some modellers with IDF hands-on experience around here.
will be able toa answer your question about the camo-netting.

/ Robin
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 04:21 AM UTC
Cheers Robin
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish to ask of the community is does anyone know whether Israeli armour used camouflage netting on their vehicles during Yom Kippur.

Camouflage netting was definitely in use before and after, so I don't see why not during the war. I'm not sure about the colour though, but I think it was the tan-coloured monochrome kind used during the '60s. Having said that, many of the reserve units were rushed to the front without properly kitted out (sometimes even without ammunition) so it's definitely not a must.
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 08:31 PM UTC
Thanks Israel!!! I feel the Centurion looks better with net on the barrel and the brigade I want to model my Sho't on was in place in the Golan at the start of the invasion. Cheers mate
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel the Centurion looks better with net on the barrel and the brigade I want to model my Sho't on was in place in the Golan at the start of the invasion.

You might want to rethink that. Wrapping the camo net around the barrell wasn't (and isn't) common practice in the IDF; in case of the Sho't it was stored either in the turret basket (the large circular thing)...

...or on top of the left-side stowage bins.

OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 04:48 PM UTC
Cool, great advice and cements what I've discovered as well. Seems like the British tended more to this practice than the Israelis. Thanks for that mate
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 04:58 PM UTC
So my tank has shown up, seems to my horror that I have bought the 1967 Mk5/1 version. Whilst it still has the L7 105mm it is not the Kal version. Would it be a big job to bring it up to this version or should I just start research on 6 Day War and go with that? Cheers guys
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 05:09 PM UTC
The Sho't Kal has the Continental (Cal) AVDS-1790-2A diesel engine so the engine deck needs to be replaced with something very similar to the engine deck on an M60.
/ Robin
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 06:27 PM UTC
The question is, what is more important to you: building a Sho't Kal or building a Sho't that participated in the Yom Kipur War? The 679th Reserve Brigade that fought on the Golan Heights in '73 was equipped with Sho't Meteors (just like the one you have).
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 06:50 PM UTC
Mmmm, good question. I like the Kal because it just seems more Israeli (sounds stupid I know) but I love how the IDF tanks would be bristling with MGs and equipment. The Meteor seems kinda plain in comparison with the single .50 or single .30. And since joining the forum I would like to build more historically accurate as well. I mean, the 6 Day War was still epic so doing the Meteor isn't a bad thing either.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 11:10 PM UTC
What I think you should do is to admit to yourself that you really, deep down in your modelling soul, want to build both versions
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 11:43 PM UTC
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I think you should do is to admit to yourself that you really, deep down in your modelling soul, want to build both versions

I believe you're right!!! Ido just need to build both lol You sir, are a genius!!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2019 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love how the IDF tanks would be bristling with MGs and equipment. The Meteor seems kinda plain in comparison with the single .50 or single .30.

Ben,
Keep in mind that the Israelis didn't add the additional MGs until after the YKW, based on the increased numbers of handheld AT weapons that the Egyptians and to a lesser scale, Syrians infantry formations that faced the Israelis in the Sinai & Golan fronts.

So you will need to do a Sho't Kal Gimel or Dalet tank from OPERATION PEACE FOR GALILEE in 1982, to go with your Sho't and Sho't Kal Alef.

John C
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I love how the IDF tanks would be bristling with MGs and equipment. The Meteor seems kinda plain in comparison with the single .50 or single .30.

Ben,
Keep in mind that the Israelis didn't add the additional MGs until after the YKW, based on the increased numbers of handheld AT weapons that the Egyptians and to a lesser scale, Syrians infantry formations that faced the Israelis in the Sinai & Golan fronts.

So you will need to do a Sho't Kal Gimel or Dalet tank from OPERATION PEACE FOR GALILEE in 1982, to go with your Sho't and Sho't Kal Alef.

John C

Hey John!!

Thanks for the info mate, I really appreciate it! Yeah, I had come to the same conclusion with the extra MGs. I am new to the various conflicts that Israel has been involved in. I am slowly mapping out a plan to build something from each of them (Super Sherman for 6 Day War, Sho't Kal YKW, and probably Magach with Blazer kit, Merkava in the future sometime) but I want to be learning and improving in my skills and knowledge.

PS The Gimel and Dalet are super cool looking tanks!!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Ben,

Welcome back to the modeling world! I was as shocked as you when i got back into modeling about 10 years ago after being away from it for many decades. The changes, in terms of detail, and the photo etch, and the variety of paints, etc., etc., was, and continues to be, for me, mind-blowing! I've been away from Armorama for a few months now, as I've been overtaken by a strong urge to concentrate on airplanes models of late, but I am a big fan of IDF tanks. In fact, percentage-wise, I've built more IDF tanks than any other. I have, in my stash, an AFV Club 1973 Shot Kal tank that I plan to build as Avigdor Kahalani's tank in the Yom Kippur War. I've already built the 1967 Shot Centurion, and was very happy with the build.

Best of luck in your return to modeling!!
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ben,

Welcome back to the modeling world! I was as shocked as you when i got back into modeling about 10 years ago after being away from it for many decades. The changes, in terms of detail, and the photo etch, and the variety of paints, etc., etc., was, and continues to be, for me, mind-blowing! I've been away from Armorama for a few months now, as I've been overtaken by a strong urge to concentrate on airplanes models of late, but I am a big fan of IDF tanks. In fact, percentage-wise, I've built more IDF tanks than any other. I have, in my stash, an AFV Club 1973 Shot Kal tank that I plan to build as Avigdor Kahalani's tank in the Yom Kippur War. I've already built the 1967 Shot Centurion, and was very happy with the build.

Best of luck in your return to modeling!!

Hey Curt!
Nice to meet a fellow IDF fan! Yeah, I have done planes and tanks most of my modelling life and have my beady little eyes on a 1/35 Blackhawk as well. Avigdor Kahalani is a legend!! I look forward to seeing what you do with it! I want to build my '73 Sho't Kal as a 7th Armoured Brigade one so I have some license to do whatever. The '67 Sho't I haven't decided quite what to do with yet.

Thanks for the luck, I feel I'm going to need it. Best of luck to you too mate!
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hello Curt,
if you realy want to build Kahalani‘s tank I recomend Sabingamartins booklets. They have the right decals for his Sho‘t too.

http://www.sabingamartin.com/ SIM-011

But there is another problem: You have to use a turret roof with the other loaders hatch (Mk.3) as in the Dalet kit or the new Mk.3 kit from AFV club to change the roofs.

Michael
 _GOTOTOP