_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon's M46 Patton
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 03:19 PM UTC
It's not one of their black label kits, and it's an older model. But on its own accord, how good is it? I know it doesn't have the spotlight like the Hobby Boss kit does, but other than that?
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 07:33 PM UTC
I've built one practically out of the box. It doesn't seem bad, but I had difficulty for the scarcity of track links. I could complete the tracks, but I had only 3 on 4 links for the turret. It could be that I lost one, anyway it is important to know that there were not in excess.
Besides the position of the support of the track links on the left side of the turret suggested by the instructions sheet didn't fit well with the photos that I found.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not one of their black label kits, and it's an older model. But on its own accord, how good is it? I know it doesn't have the spotlight like the Hobby Boss kit does, but other than that?

It's over 20 years old, and Dragon was a new company still figuring things out. It has no photo etch, no canvas mantlet cover, and the tracks are poor.

Takom's new M46 kit doesn't need a lot of aftermarket doodads, and will be cheaper and less aggravating in the long run.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 12:47 AM UTC
I have this one in my stash so I'll (eventually) build it; apart from the tracks - which I recall there are after-market ones available - is there anything else to look our for?

Any pointers (apart from buy the Takom kit!) would be welcome.

Brian
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have this one in my stash so I'll (eventually) build it; apart from the tracks - which I recall there are after-market ones available - is there anything else to look our for?

Brian

You'll need clear headlights, and photo etch for the headlight guards and tool tie down straps. Eduard had a set twenty years ago, but no doubt there will be sets out for the Takom kit that should work.
You can find better Browning .50 caliber machine guns than the one in the kit. Academy and Asuka have nice ones in styrene.
You'll need to sculpt the mantlet canvas out of epoxy putty.
If you can chase down a Sherman cupola with clear windows. it would be a plus. Otherwise. paint the kit optics gloss black. Likewise, if you want to show periscopes open, you'll need to raid the spares box or seek aftermarket bits.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Brian

You'll need clear headlights, and photo etch for the headlight guards and tool tie down straps. Eduard had a set twenty years ago, but no doubt there will be sets out for the Takom kit that should work.
You can find better Browning .50 caliber machine guns than the one in the kit. Academy and Asuka have nice ones in styrene.
You'll need to sculpt the mantlet canvas out of epoxy putty.
If you can chase down a Sherman cupola with clear windows. it would be a plus. Otherwise. paint the kit optics gloss black. Likewise, if you want to show periscopes open, you'll need to raid the spares box or seek aftermarket bits.

Many thanks Gerald, all very helpful and nothing I think I can't deal with.

Brian
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 05:03 AM UTC
On a side note, you may not have to scratchbuild the mantlet canvas. I've gathered several Korea War period pics showing M46's without it...

H.P.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On a side note, you may not have to scratchbuild the mantlet canvas. I've gathered several Korea War period pics showing M46's without it...

H.P.

Thanks Frenchy; I'm not too bothered in attempting to tackle one with Milliput - I managed to portray an M41 version on the ancient Tamiya kit, but I was rather keen on depicting a model in service in Germany (with or without a mantlet cover!). However, I'm still not too sure that they served there - even though the European theatre was still a serious center of gravity regarding new equipment.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually the DML M46 did have the Spotlight in hte kit. It is quite respectable but noted issues are cutting the Road wheels off the sprue (Four thick points per side), the fit of the turret trunnion face and the Indy tracks with separate teeth. Very well detailed except for the commanders cupola having solid windows not clear ones
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 09:40 PM UTC
Indeed, mine "loaned" its Crause-Hinds searchlight to my M60 Slick build! As for clear glass in the cupola, I always though that looks too toy-like - I paint mine anyway.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2019 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Indeed, mine "loaned" its Crause-Hinds searchlight to my M60 Slick build! As for clear glass in the cupola, I always though that looks too toy-like - I paint mine anyway.

try a drop of OD in a clear varnish then paint that over the clear blocks. I discovered this by accident with a testors glue of all things. Takes away the toylike look
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 03:15 AM UTC
I built the Dragon M46 several years ago in the Orange Box issue. It had DS tracks that were IIRC too short (I had extras from an orange Box M50 Super Sherman, so worked out). I thought it was a pretty good kit at the time, & didn't have any issues with the DS tracks (still don't). I would buy it again if I had the need for another M46.

Damon.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 04:25 AM UTC
All grist to my mill chaps - keep it up!

'Worried though about M46 actually being deployed to USAREUR - surely it must have been - though Armies move in mysterious ways sometimes.
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 04:59 AM UTC
It was not bad. I built mine OOB. Just some slight thinning of some parts, particularly the exhaust pipes and their covers. Here are photos of my Dragon M46 ready to be primed.

BTW, this is the earlier release, not the Black Label stuff. It had individual tracks.

I do have the Takom one too, I'll build it later.

-Joseph
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 07:30 AM UTC
Another note, for its age and coming from DML, it has good part fits.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's over 20 years old, and Dragon was a new company still figuring things out. It has no photo etch, no canvas mantlet cover, and the tracks are poor.

Takom's new M46 kit doesn't need a lot of aftermarket doodads, and will be cheaper and less aggravating in the long run.

I should point out that the Hobby Boss Pershing kits have photoetch only for the grating that fits on top of the engine compartment, and that is not visible if you're not displaying the engine.

Also there is an aftermarket metal barrel to fit the Dragon M46, but none for the Hobby Boss. Since replacing the tracks might be needed on either kit, if I do an M46 I'll spring for Dragon.
 _GOTOTOP