_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Does AFV Club REALLY exist???
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 04:56 AM UTC
I have been trying to contact them for coming upon 4 months , trying to get parts. I have tried their website. Filled out the "contact form" but when I hit send nothing happens. Have tried their Facebook site. Sent a message and got "We'll get back to you." Since then, nothing. Anybody have any other ideas?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 05:05 AM UTC
Maybe they are simply too busy cranking out new kits??
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 05:26 AM UTC
Their customer service isn't very good. They have a distributor in California that I got a hold of. Took me calling back 3 times to get them to send me the part I needed and then it took 4 months.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Their customer service isn't very good. They have a distributor in California that I got a hold of. Took me calling back 3 times to get them to send me the part I needed and then it took 4 months.

AFV Club's main US Distributor is Merit International-- give them a try. Yes AFV Club actually exits, they are based in Taiwan, and the parent company of Hobby-Fan too.
VR, Russ
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 05:56 AM UTC
I contacted Merit. They were as useful as tits on a bull. I got the kit on line , from ROC. The box marking is for the Italian distributor so Merit won't help. Tried the Italian distributor too. No reply. I am actually trying to get the RWS from the kit. I need the duel 40mm / 7.62 set up for another project. Freedom Models makes a Clouded Leopard kit too. Maybe they are more talkative.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 07:45 AM UTC
Try facebook messaging AFV Club Hong Kong. I accidentally messaged them a few years ago thinking that they were the real AFV Club but they are just a hobby store. But they actually came through with the Decals that I needed for my M18 Hellcat!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

they are based in Taiwan, and the parent company of Hobby-Fan too.
VR, Russ

Strictly speaking Hobby Fan are the parent company of AFV Club.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I contacted Merit. They were as useful as tits on a bull. I got the kit on line , from ROC. The box marking is for the Italian distributor so Merit won't help. Tried the Italian distributor too. No reply. I am actually trying to get the RWS from the kit. I need the duel 40mm / 7.62 set up for another project. Freedom Models makes a Clouded Leopard kit too. Maybe they are more talkative.

I’ve had pretty good luck with Merit in the past. But I can understand their reluctance if the kit came from somebody else. Merit runs periodic sales of overtrees and damaged or “part” kits, sometimes you can get what you need at these greatly discounted sales. Having worked at a LHS that was also a large distributorship here in the Northwest, I have some insight into replacement policies and how US distributorships work:
1) Distributors, like Dragon USA, Merit, Stevens, and others don’t have access to spare parts. What they do is scavenge/rob existing in-stock kits. If there are no existing kits, you’re out of luck. Merit generally keeps kits in reserve just for this purpose, but when they’re out, they’re out.
2) Manufacturers generally don’t make “extra sprues” either for replacements. It takes up too much space. The only ones I’ve seen do this are Tamiya and Eduard, who sometimes stock kits for replacement without the boxes, the boxes being folded and stored for subsequent sale purposes. Monogram-Revell used to, but they’re defunct now.
3) Manufacturers don’t just “pop” plastic in the mold to make replacement parts. When a production run is made, it’s done until the next run.
4) Many dealers won’t replace parts unless they have a “cushion” deal with the manufacturers— that is, they get “extra kits” with their wholesaler as a “cushion” against defects. The distributor I worked for routinely asked for a wholesale deal including about 1% overage, just to use as return/replacement kits. Not all manufacturers would do this, but typically, Dragon USA, Tamiya, and a few others would allow this in the “bulk” purchase price.
5) There are a lot of on-line dealers now that have practically no stock on hand, therefore they can’t “scavenge” other kits for parts to keep their customers happy. Their “stock” is tied either to a manufacturer or wholesaler who fills orders “on demand”. In that case, good luck getting any replacement parts.

I have no idea how foreign on-line sales folk do business, so I can’t help you there, but here’s the bottom line— you get what you pay for. It’s sometimes better to do business with reputable dealers directly, these guys have a reputation to uphold. You may pay a little more, but you may also get some satisfaction if you do have any problems. Good Luck,
VR, Russ
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want to buy AFV Club parts contact moon03tw seller on eBay. He will gladly obtain AFV Club sprues and sell them to you.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am actually trying to get the RWS from the kit. I need the duel 40mm / 7.62 set up for another project.

So as i'm reading it the kit wasn't missing any parts, you are instead trying to obtain parts from the AFV Club kit for another project. It might be why they are not rushing to help out.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So as i'm reading it the kit wasn't missing any parts, you are instead trying to obtain parts from the AFV Club kit for another project. It might be why they are not rushing to help out.

They actually do sell individual sprues from their kits, but only in Taiwan. That's why the help of someone there is necessary - like the eBay seller I mentioned earlier.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want to buy AFV Club parts contact moon03tw seller on eBay. He will gladly obtain AFV Club sprues and sell them to you.

That's exactly how I got the AFV CLub kit sprues I needed as well.

Mario
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 12:43 PM UTC
AFV released the M151 RWS as a separate kit: https://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-afv-club-afv-af35157-1:35-m151-remote-weapon-station?zenid=95227026518a9595b324924a4e78b957
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 01:16 PM UTC
The M151 RWS is not the same thing. Dropped moon03tw a line (Thanks for the lead.). And Freedom Models. See what happens.
Alpha23
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 - 03:22 PM UTC
Took me 9 months but I got what I needed.
 _GOTOTOP