_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya Panzer IV ausf. D 1/35
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hey folks!

I'd like to share my WIP for the France 1940 Campaign over in the other subforum, an old Tamiya Panzer IV ausf. D. As my airbrush is still kaput, I relied on using oil dot filters and washes to break up the monotony of the panzer grey.

I might add a bit more steel pigments on the raised portions track as they're not that distinct at the moment. I might also tone the rusting on the muffler down a bit. Aside from that, I think I'm nearly done with this. Any constructive criticism is highly appreciated!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 03:03 PM UTC
Nice job on a very old, golden oldy. Anyone else built that kit when it was new?
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 04:18 PM UTC
Indeed a very cool build and an inspiration for me.
Oil paints are the way to go, I'm planning to use them for camo painting.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi Nigel

firstly these comments are all subjective, because while we’re all looking at the same historical images we see things in many different ways (!) Secondly congratulations, to me you’ve scored a rare bull’s-eye with the dunkelgrau – that’s exactly the right shade/tone at this scale as far as I’m concerned. Thirdly I also like the restrained mud & weathering a lot, and fourthly here come some suggested improvements as invited...

The gun barrel looks oddly clean compared to the rest of the vehicle - I realise it’s unlikely to be mud-spattered but it needs something – rain/dirt streaks? The MG barrel perhaps should be a few gun-metal tones darker. The muffler – now I haven’t spent that much time looking at WW2 photos of the back-end of Mk IV variants so I’m prepared to be proved wrong, but I’m sceptical that the entire muffler corroded as much as you’ve got it (as you’ve suspected), unless it was a seriously old tank with 10K kms on the clock but I see no damage to the mudguards so this must be relatively new tank, so check your references. The tracks – if not coated in mud I’d give them a rusty wash just to take the grey off them because it’s too close to the dunkelgrau at the moment. Similarly, if not coated in mud the guide-horns I agree should be bare steel due to constant friction, as should the teeth of the drive wheels.

About the weathering – imagine the crew members with muddy boots climbing into their respective hatches and how that might look after a few months. Also imagine maintenance on the rear deck and also those front-plate inspection hatches – where would the mechanics place their greasy hands, tool boxes & leaky oil cans…? The hatches themselves would look relatively clean, but not the surrounding edges. Overspills from refuelling should be visible too, if you know where the fuel caps are.

This “D” would look superb in a diorama or vignette with some crew standing around – any plans?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 11:06 PM UTC
Nice work ! I also like your version of "Panzer Grey". Restrained weathering but also agree about the muffler being overly rusty. All in all a good effort on an oldie but goodie Tamiya kit !
Thanks for sharing !
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2019 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thank you all for the kind comments and suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Quoted Text

Hi Nigel

firstly these comments are all subjective, because while we’re all looking at the same historical images we see things in many different ways (!) Secondly congratulations, to me you’ve scored a rare bull’s-eye with the dunkelgrau – that’s exactly the right shade/tone at this scale as far as I’m concerned. Thirdly I also like the restrained mud & weathering a lot, and fourthly here come some suggested improvements as invited...

The gun barrel looks oddly clean compared to the rest of the vehicle - I realise it’s unlikely to be mud-spattered but it needs something – rain/dirt streaks? The MG barrel perhaps should be a few gun-metal tones darker. The muffler – now I haven’t spent that much time looking at WW2 photos of the back-end of Mk IV variants so I’m prepared to be proved wrong, but I’m sceptical that the entire muffler corroded as much as you’ve got it (as you’ve suspected), unless it was a seriously old tank with 10K kms on the clock but I see no damage to the mudguards so this must be relatively new tank, so check your references. The tracks – if not coated in mud I’d give them a rusty wash just to take the grey off them because it’s too close to the dunkelgrau at the moment. Similarly, if not coated in mud the guide-horns I agree should be bare steel due to constant friction, as should the teeth of the drive wheels.

About the weathering – imagine the crew members with muddy boots climbing into their respective hatches and how that might look after a few months. Also imagine maintenance on the rear deck and also those front-plate inspection hatches – where would the mechanics place their greasy hands, tool boxes & leaky oil cans…? The hatches themselves would look relatively clean, but not the surrounding edges. Overspills from refuelling should be visible too, if you know where the fuel caps are.

This “D” would look superb in a diorama or vignette with some crew standing around – any plans?

Thank you especially for this detailed answer! I actually didn't notice the bit with the gun barrel until now. The other side of it has been properly better. Looks like I overlooked it. That's why it's always nice to have more than one pair of eyes looking at your model!

I've also been a bit hesitant with adding dust and mud on the upper hull. I know they're great to make a tank look natural - but I tend to overdo it and eradicate any underlying detail haha. I'll try adding a very small amount to nooks and crannies to show the buildup of dust and mud.

The tracks are a bit tough because the pigments keep flaking off - the edges look dark grey but the rest of it is actually a reddish brown color. I'm thinking of going over it with a dry brush - the acrylics seem to have a better time sticking than pigments.

The muffler - I think I'll just blend a bit more brownish colors to reduce the aggressive rust tones. I'll still keep a bit of it so it pops out.

I'll also have a look at adding some gasoline stains. I don't actually have a lot of fuel ports on the reardeck for this version, and I actually like the discoloration present with the oil weathering already (it doesn't show up well on camera though). These Panzer IVs were gasoline rather than diesel right?

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to give a detailed answer.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 02:11 AM UTC
Posting this last progress photo from the 1940 france campaign thread.

Right. So I decided to try and add a dust coat to top all the weathering off for this build before shelving it.

....I may have made a huge mistake.

I'm not really happy with how she turned up. I overdid the dusting effect. I pulled out a Q tip and mineral spirit to wipe most of it away, but for better or worse here she is now. I tried to keep some of the older oil streaking showing through. I'm not gonna try working on it anymore as I think I'll just end up ruining my previous effort at weathering. What do you folks think?

PS: I can't seem to do the Imgur trick to lower resolution! I'll try to do it again tomorrow when I'm less frustrated haha.

raivo74
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 132 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hi Nigel
Seems like quite plausible to my eyes. You can think of it going through some muddy canal or pool at high speed and being covered with thin mud.
Also you could try to remove some more pigment from the turret, as it would gather less dust.
And add some soot inside exhaust vent, it would not bet same colour as muffler exterior.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 06:47 PM UTC
Very nicely finished!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 08:17 PM UTC
Looks great, Nigel!
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 - 01:55 AM UTC
Very nice work on this old kit! I can see this being in one of the panzer units in late June 1940. The exhaust vent could do with some soot, otherwise, it looks great.
 _GOTOTOP