_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best after market tracks?
flyers42
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 02:08 PM UTC
Im so confused about this, I know I dont like the rubber band from my tamiya kit, whats the best value?

Magic track?, metal?
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 02:32 PM UTC
Depends. AFV make quite a few sets of workable tracks in styrene for around $20. ModelKasten also make workable styrene tracks for about $25-$35 that are more detailed than the AFV tracks. There are several makers of workable metal tracks, Spade Ace, MasterClub, Friulmodel, and Kaizen to name a few. These range anywhere from about $35 to $50. Most popular and readily available workable metal tracks I would guess are Friulmodel, then MasterClub. The styrene tracks are generally clickable or held together by some kind of end connector. The metal tracks use a wire or small pin to connect the tracks. If the tank has a live track i.e. Sherman or just about any US tank I usually go with the kit tracks. Most German and Russian tanks have noticeable track sag so using metal tracks works best for these as the weight of the metal will naturally cause them to sag. I prefer MasterCLub as I think they are molded a bit crisper than the Friuls and are generally cheaper. Many builders don't care for them as they are connected by very small resin pins. However the pins can be replaced with fine wire. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck.
flyers42
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 02:41 PM UTC
what do you mean by "If the tank has a live track"?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what do you mean by "If the tank has a live track"?

This is the name of tracks with end connectors instead of the original axis. Most of the modern tanks have such live tracks.
If the end connectors are not separate parts you'll probably have to bend them to have a correct rendition of the tracks winding around the sprockets and the idlers.

Olivier
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 07:30 PM UTC
Live track has rubber bushes between the pins and the links, so it tends to curl up when removed from the real tank. Examples include the track used on most Shermans and, as I recall, the FV432 series as well as post-WW2 US MBTs. From a modelling perspective, it sags much less between return rollers than dead track (such as that on a KV or WW2 German tanks).
 _GOTOTOP