_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.J Late
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 06:51 PM UTC

Rye Field Model announced the first of their upcoming Pz.Kpfw.IV series kits.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 07:05 PM UTC
It seems that the race is one with Pz IV's.
Dragon may need to watch out ....
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 08:02 PM UTC
Is this a new trend, offering two in one kits? First it was interiors, now this? Looks to be another great kit from Ryefield.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 08:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It seems that the race is one with Pz IV's.
Dragon may need to watch out ....

With a lot of modelers, Dragon lost when RFM said "workable track"

Look ma, no DS!
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 08:28 PM UTC
Least it loks to be a real 2 in 1. Seen a few that say 2 in 1, 3 in 1 and the only difference is markings.
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 10:51 PM UTC
How very, very interesting. When this comes with an interior, I'm in.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 12:14 AM UTC
Looks very interesting. Only a 2 in 1? Looks like there are multiple return rollers, multiple muzzle brakes, maybe the H/J and late swivel cupola hatch. My poor, poor wallet!
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this a new trend, offering two in one kits? First it was interiors, now this? Looks to be another great kit from Ryefield.

To be fair, most of the RFM kits are already possible to make multiple variants because they keep the old parts for newer kits. I have the their Tiger E Mid and it has the whole leftover spurs from the older kit to build the Early production instead if I want to.
This offer is like the their Tiger E Late, which they also did market it as 2 in one, normal and command version. I mean, they could as well make it 2 different kit and screw your wallet even more.
Dragon is another story though...
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 06:51 AM UTC
WOWEEEE...another Panzer...how exciting...with different styles of road wheels..ooooohhh...
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOWEEEE...another Panzer...how exciting...with different styles of road wheels..ooooohhh...

This is a piece of engineering history!
Being able to show in model form how a product evolved over time. How the position and number of return rollers changed. The evolution of the "hub caps" and all the other minor details. Some people can't even tell the difference between a Pz III and Pz IV chassis, let alone the detail differences between different versions and production runs.
This is nerd heaven
I may feel the urge to get a bunch of these ...

Mortifa
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 267 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 08:31 AM UTC
I am curious as to why there are only three return rollers when all the images I have seen on google for the Pz.IV HJ show four return rollers?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 09:29 AM UTC
The Pzkpfw IV ausf J last production had three return rollers. Look for images of tanks with the wire mesh armor and you'll often see the three return rollers.

Dragon has done this variant several times and the new Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV and Brumbaer have this configuration.

Personally I think it's the coolest looking configuration as it makes the tank look meaner.

This kit has all the bits to make any version of the ausf J with all the various differences in one box and the Beobachtung version. This really is a bit more than 2 in 1.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Pzkpfw IV ausf J last production had three return rollers. Look for images of tanks with the wire mesh armor and you'll often see the three return rollers.

Dragon has done this variant several times and the new Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV and Brumbaer have this configuration.

Personally I think it's the coolest looking configuration as it makes the tank look meaner.

This kit has all the bits to make any version of the ausf J with all the various differences in one box and the Beobachtung version. This really is a bit more than 2 in 1.

Maybe the bits and pieces are all there but the
instructions only describe two of the possible options??

# 4444
Mortifa
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 267 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, looking closer at the images I noticed you can build the tank with three or four return rollers.
Pongo_Arm
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 147 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 10:35 AM UTC
I still do not understand where this company came from. I have the clear hulled Panther G and the Easy 8 kits and they are just amazing. Time for them to do a T34-85 I guess.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 11:18 AM UTC
This is a definite buy for me. I love that since these awesome Panther kits have come out from Meng, Takom and RFM, we are now seeing Pz.kpfw.IVs to give us something different from Dragons. Even in spirit, I just like the option. Excited for new Ausf H mids and lates.
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 12:11 PM UTC
hey Robin, you can have my copy...a panzer is a panzer is a panzer...when the dust settles, and it will, once on the shelf, does it really matter...LOL...!!!
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey Robin, you can have my copy...a panzer is a panzer is a panzer...when the dust settles, and it will, once on the shelf, does it really matter...LOL...!!!

I'll be moving my display cabinets soon so I will have to disturb some of that dust ......
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am curious as to why there are only three return rollers when all the images I have seen on google for the Pz.IV HJ show four return rollers?

Nibelungenwerke, the last factory building the Panzer IV as a turreted tank, switched to three return rollers in 1945, as an economy measure.

If you use the late swivel-pattern commander's hatch, the original, four-return roller hull, and Thoma screen-style skirts, you have a tank suitable for the Battle of the Bulge, which would have required combining two very expensive Dragon kits, until Rye Field proposed a kit with everything in one box. Lookin' forward to this one!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're really better off. Run and save yourself before you catch this panzer fever or before you know it you'll just have to have every production variation of some German tank or another.

Or Sherman's, or M60s or Leopards or P-51 for that matter.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You're really better off. Run and save yourself before you catch this panzer fever or before you know it you'll just have to have every production variation of some German tank or another.

Or Sherman's, or M60s or Leopards or P-51 for that matter.

Yes ....
it is better to focus on some obscure subject where a handful of models covers the entire production run, one of each individual
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 - 02:44 PM UTC
Looks like another great addition to the stable-full of Pz IVs out there. I just wonder about how the Thoma Schurtzen are made; if they're that feeble mesh that Dragon inflicted upon us or something that actually works. While PE sort of works that mesh certainly did not even vaguely look realistic. Interesting that they'd start at the end of the series; what's next a late H? And then build backwards to an A or even the weird prototypes?
jczeus
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 07:01 PM UTC
Speaking of weird prototypes: in the Spielberger book about the Panzer IV there's an interesting one that has the same chassis as the Versuchsflakwagen 8,8cm Flak 41 auf Sonderfahrgestell: the same interleaved road wheels, but with a shorter chassis.
 _GOTOTOP