_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Primer/filling ?
flyers42
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 12:42 AM UTC
Do you guys prime before filling so the putty will stick better or do you putty first and then prime?and what primer do you use?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 01:46 AM UTC
I putty/ fill, sand, then prime with Tamiya white fine primer. I use either Squadron or Tamiya putty. The putty adheres well to the plastic.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 01:52 AM UTC
^^Ditto^^. I actually never prime, but that is another story. The putty (like glue) actually sticks better to bare plastic. Most putties have some type of solvent in them so they chemically bond w/the plastic. Paint/primer can cause the putty to eventually come loose as it creates a barrier between the putty and plastic.
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 02:00 AM UTC
I guess I kinda do both. I fill the obvious stuff first before priming. I use Tamiya putty and Liquid Paper correction fluid. After I prime I may go back and touch up any problem spots.

southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I kinda do both. ...

this. I think of the first coat of paint as a "guide coat" to even out any materials' natural finish (brass/ kit styrene/ scratch-built white styrene/ resin/ wire/ first layer putty) and give me a fresh look at the project.

with a less obstructed view, "fresh eyes", I make any course corrections and then usually only prime those areas to blend.

after prime, undercoat (which is sometimes the first coat depending on colors), and two top coats since I still am a bit trepidatious spraying a heavy coat without sags.
 _GOTOTOP