_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Source for .001 or .002 thick styrene sheet?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 04:32 AM UTC
Anyone have a source for .001 or .002 inch thick styrene sheet or strip? The thinnest I can find is .005 (which sometimes is actually .004). Other plastics are available in thin thicknesses but they don't work with regular model cement.

I'm looking for it to mount PE bits. If you super glue the PE to sheet you can trim the piece so that the plastic is no bigger than the PE. Then you can mount the piece with regular model cement which gives you more time and capability to position it. Clearly the thinner the plastic the better, so long as the cement doesn't completely melt it.

KL
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 04:39 AM UTC
It seems that .005 is the thinnest workable thickness available. I have a couple of possible solutions if you're interested.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 06:35 AM UTC
If you want really thin you could have a look at the windows in envelopes. They might be too thin though ....
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 06:56 AM UTC
My suggestion:

1. Get some Bondo Fiberglass Resin and Clear Hardener.

2. Using a sheet of styrene (thickness isn't an issue) and coat it with a thin coat of PVA glue diluted to the consistency of milk. The PVA acts as a release agent and will allow you to easily remove what will be done in the next step. Allow time to dry. You can recoat to insure complete coverage.

3. Mix the resin and hardener and, using a 1" wide brush, apply a thin layer of the resin on the styrene sheet.

4. When the resin cures, you can peel it off the styrene sheet in one single piece which can be trimmed to different widths and lengths. You also have the option of inserting the PE directly into the resin before it starts to gel and cut the attached parts; or, wait until the resin is fully cures and attach the PE with CA.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 07:12 AM UTC
I think Kurt's idea in this case was to mount a styrene shim on the backside of the PE so that the next assembly step is gluing styrene to styrene. Adding a resin sheet to the back of the PE isn't the same thing ...

I use this method to glue resin pieces. sometimes even for resin to resin jobs since it is easier to do the precision mounting and gluing with solvents for styrene instead of CA or some epoxy. The thickness of the shim needs to be sanded off the resin part. Sanding down PE is not so easy .....

/ Robin
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 09:07 AM UTC
Just tossing some ideas against the wall to see what sticks.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 09:10 AM UTC
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 10:22 AM UTC
Phone book, look for plastic supplies. They probably won't have what you want but they can special order it or tell you where to look. Also, a good place to buy several types of weldon by the pint.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 10:47 AM UTC
https://mk0multiplastichbtar.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Spec_Sheet_PO_1000_Canada.pdf

clear polystyrene film in thicknesses 1.25, 1.50, 2.00 and 4.00 mils (or 31, 38, 51 and 102 microns)

No idea about how to purchase though .....

another one:
https://www.transcendia.com/sites/default/files/sellsheet_download/Transcendia_Trycite_Sellsheet.pdf
0.8 to 4.0 mils

Google styrene film
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Kurt's idea in this case was to mount a styrene shim on the backside of the PE so that the next assembly step is gluing styrene to styrene. Adding a resin sheet to the back of the PE isn't the same thing ...

/ Robin

Exactly.

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://mk0multiplastichbtar.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Spec_Sheet_PO_1000_Canada.pdf

clear polystyrene film in thicknesses 1.25, 1.50, 2.00 and 4.00 mils (or 31, 38, 51 and 102 microns)

No idea about how to purchase though .....

another one:
https://www.transcendia.com/sites/default/files/sellsheet_download/Transcendia_Trycite_Sellsheet.pdf
0.8 to 4.0 mils

Google styrene film

I have but all I've found is film, which comes in rolls like saran wrap. If I could find sheets, like you can get in acetyl and ABS, it would be great. I may have to look at donut boxes . . .

Thanks guys.

KL
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 11:52 AM UTC
I have some .002 styrene that came with, i believe, a Historex plastic figure, to make belts and straps for the horses. I discovered that all the solvent cements are too harsh for styrene this thin. It distorts it quite badly.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have some .002 styrene that came with, i believe, a Historex plastic figure, to make belts and straps for the horses. I discovered that all the solvent cements are too harsh for styrene this thin. It distorts it quite badly.

That's what I figured. I want to try it bonded to metal with CA to see if it makes a difference.

KL
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 12:50 PM UTC
Tamiya sells "Pla-paper" - sheet white styrene that mics out to .0035". Great for backing PE or resin parts to then easily glue with plastic cements.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 02:36 PM UTC
You can buy plastic shim stock in a book of various sizes. Yet getting down to .001" can be a bear. The stuff they sell is like silver plated cellophane. I might add here that the wrapper on a pack of cigarettes is exactly .001". Accurate enough to use as shim stock!
You can also buy brass shim stock that thin. Easy to work with as well
Gary
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 03:53 PM UTC
Hey they sell colored transparent sheet that thin at Michael's. Not sure if it's styrene or cellophane though. It seems too stiff to be cellophane.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can buy plastic shim stock in a book of various sizes. Yet getting down to .001" can be a bear. The stuff they sell is like silver plated cellophane. I might add here that the wrapper on a pack of cigarettes is exactly .001". Accurate enough to use as shim stock!
You can also buy brass shim stock that thin. Easy to work with as well
Gary

Yeah, I have plastic shim stock but it is polyester, not glue-able with styrene cements.

KL
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 09:21 PM UTC
Check the windows in window envelopes.
In my part of the world they are made of polystyrene or something that is glueable like polystyrene
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 02:54 AM UTC
I'd say, go with the .005". Super glue the PE, cut out, sand the styrene side thinner...
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check the windows in window envelopes.
In my part of the world they are made of polystyrene or something that is glueable like polystyrene

I did and they are. Excellent idea, Robin.

I have part of an envelope soaking in water to see if the paper and adhesive will dissolve. If not, the windows themselves provide plenty of material.

I'm going to try using it as a PE bonding layer next.

BTW, it is .001 inch thick.

Thanks!

KL
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 04:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the measurement, I was about to measure one myself ....

Be very careful with the styrene glue or solvent, it doesn't take much to turn that thin sheet into goo
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 04:52 AM UTC
UPDATE:

Soaking the sheets in water does allow the paper to be peeled or rubbed away, but as you would logically figure from the intended application, the adhesive is NOT water soluble. It looks like mineral spirits can take it off, but I don't think any of this effort is worth it. Four more pieces came in yesterday's mail so I'll just use the clear parts. The paper makes it easier to handle anyway.

It does not take much cement to convert the film to gel, but when it has already been attached to a piece of PE that's an advantage. It sticks the part to plastic quite nicely, with no build up or fillet at the edges from displaced CA. (That's filed off before adding plastic cement.)

So, I rate this as a successful solution and thanks again to Robin.

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya sells "Pla-paper" - sheet white styrene that mics out to .0035". Great for backing PE or resin parts to then easily glue with plastic cements.

I think I had seen that before, Tom. I'll have to get a sheet for general building purposes.

Speaking of such, Evergreen needs to start making .050 strip and sheet, and add .050 width to the ranges for the current sizes. If they are reading this . . .

KL
 _GOTOTOP