_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Year of the Jumbo?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 10:18 AM UTC
Meng is now releasing the M4A3E2.
http://www.moxingfans.com/new/news/2019/1024/6775.html

It looks like Academy is also going to release one but I think it is a rebox.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 12:06 PM UTC
And they both seem to contain markings for the same "Jumbo" namely Cobra King of the 4th Armored Division. I suspect that the Meng kit will be the more accurate, but from the build blog on their M4 A3( 76) W on here, the tracks look horrendous to build.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 12:39 PM UTC
Working on the Tasca/Asuka kit. I'm liking it. The Meng should be a good option, at least easier to find. From what I hear the Tamiya one has accuracy issues. Dragon supposedly had a Jumbo ... but like Sasquatch, I've heard rumors but never seen it. Anybody heard anything on if it is worth the powder to blow it to hell? My guess on Academy is a re-do of the Italeri kit .
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And they both seem to contain markings for the same "Jumbo" namely Cobra King of the 4th Armored Division. I suspect that the Meng kit will be the more accurate, but from the build blog on their M4 A3( 76) W on here, the tracks look horrendous to build.

Yes, the tracks are a pain, but the set I built up looks very good when finished. I did use Bronco metal track pads as I don't like the rubber tracks. This kit is a good sign Meng has more Shermans in the works. The 75mm gun tank would be nice to see.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Working on the Tasca/Asuka kit. I'm liking it. The Meng should be a good option, at least easier to find. From what I hear the Tamiya one has accuracy issues. Dragon supposedly had a Jumbo ... but like Sasquatch, I've heard rumors but never seen it. Anybody heard anything on if it is worth the powder to blow it to hell? My guess on Academy is a re-do of the Italeri kit .

I built the Asuka kit and loved it, but had to buy the marking kit from Archer Fine Transfer to correct the lack of transmission and turret markings. Also have the Tamiya kit but have never open the box. It was a cheap buy and I expect it to be inaccurate, but that is to be expect since it came out in 1987.

Mark
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 04:03 PM UTC
"had to buy the marking kit from Archer Fine Transfer" .... Know that feeling. Planning on marking for mine for 746th Tank Batt. All the Asuka decals are for 3d Armored and one from 4th Armored. Star makes a set with Cobra King ..... The 3E2 answer to Wittman's Tiger, everybody builds it. I think all the others on the sheet are 15th Tank. There is a set with 746th markings from D-Day, just have to get in the mind set to buy a whole set for 2 sets of bumper codes. Also, from what I saw the location of bumper code / USA numbers were not stadardized. I've seen bumper codes on the tranny cover, upper edge of the front armor. USA numbers on rear of the hull side, front of the hull side, 1 line, 2 lines ...
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"had to buy the marking kit from Archer Fine Transfer" .... Know that feeling. Planning on marking for mine for 746th Tank Batt. All the Asuka decals are for 3d Armored and one from 4th Armored. Star makes a set with Cobra King ..... The 3E2 answer to Wittman's Tiger, everybody builds it. I think all the others on the sheet are 15th Tank. There is a set with 746th markings from D-Day, just have to get in the mind set to buy a whole set for 2 sets of bumper codes. Also, from what I saw the location of bumper code / USA numbers were not stadardized. I've seen bumper codes on the tranny cover, upper edge of the front armor. USA numbers on rear of the hull side, front of the hull side, 1 line, 2 lines ...

Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear about the markings. I was referring to the manufacturer markings from the foundries that forge the turrets, transmission castings, etc. The Auska kit only came with partial markings on the turret and decking but nothing for the rest of the tank.

In this photo you can see the on the transmission case the makers mark and serial number and the turret number.

I put those on and other markings using Archer raise Resin decals.

Mark
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 - 10:22 PM UTC
My guess is the Academy is an Asuka rebox. The Academy catalogue number is just after their forthcoming PzKpfw II Luchs Kit, which has been confirmed as the Asuka Kit.

On scalemates , the released artwork for the two appear in a similar style
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 - 12:23 AM UTC
Be interesting to see what's in the Academy box. If they rebox the Asuka kit at Academy prices it would be a bargain! But if they use the old Italeri parts, which are actually a standard M4A3(76)W, then it'll be a waste of money.

Asuka was always a bit sparse on casting marks, but fortunately the excellent Archer sets are available! Beats trying to shave part numbers off of sprue tags...
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 - 03:56 AM UTC
Well that just figures, been working on the old Tamiya kit off and on for a couple years, got about a pound of styrene and putty on the front transmission, lol.

nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 - 03:59 AM UTC
At present Scalemates list it as a rebox, but doesn't indicate the source manufacturer
 _GOTOTOP