_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
40 Years of the Leopard 2 - ACTIVE
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:12 AM UTC
Mirko (mkp) just reminded us, that on the 25. October 1979 the first serial Leopard 2 was handed over to the Bundeswehr. Our campaign admin Richard (Gulf Warrior) thinks this is a good reason for a campaign so I suggest one.

In 2015 we had the 50 Years Leopard Campaign with just Leopard 1 builds and now I suggest we would start a campaign to honour one of the best tanks in the world, the Leopard 2. What do you think? Of course to start the campaign this year is a bit too late, so I think we better start it some time in 2020, running 6 months as usual.

My suggestion is that we build only Leopard 2 and their sub versions from countries which had or have the tank in their inventory. No What If .... I just checked Wikipedia and these countries are so far:

- Austria
- Canada
- Chile
- Denmark
- Finland
- Germany
- Greece
- Hungary
- Indonesia
- Netherlands
- Norway
- Poland
- Portugal
- Qatar
- Singapore
- Spain
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- Turkey

Let me know, if I have forgotten someone. Is anyone of you out there interested? I would take part with a Leopard 2A4GR.

Have fun!
Torsten
agriamodeling
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Torsten,

I have three versions in my stack (2A4; 2A5 and 2A7) so your proposal is certainly somehow interesting me but would like to correct you a little bit: Hungary has not yet received any Leos (neither A4 nor A7+) so if the campaign ends too early a Leo in Hungarian Defence Forces service would be surely a what-if model
More over, many of us (hungarian modellers) think that the Meng A7+ is not that config our Army contracted and buying any necessary upgrade, add-on or realistic parts is even more impossible in a short time. All of us are waiting with opened kits and spruecutters for the first tank to arrive.

Cheers,

Tamás

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:58 AM UTC
Count me in! Plenty of Leo 2s in the stash - just give it a long build time so I stand a chance of completing one...
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 09:35 AM UTC
Tamas, I have only a short press info from KMW in my latest Tankograd "Militärfahrzeug" and there is also no delivery date mentioned for Hungary. It just said, that in December 2018 a contract was signed for 44 new to produce Leopard 2A7+ and 12 used 2A4 from the Bundeswehr inventory. So your country is definatly a future user of the Leopard 2. But as you have some other Leopard 2 kits in your stash, you can build one from another country, can't you? I'll build a greek one ....

Tom, if it's no problem for our campaign admin I would say, let's give you guys a whole year from January to December 2020. I have only one other campaign running next year (65 Years Bundeswehr) but have plenty of other builds planned for 2020.

Torsten
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 09:54 AM UTC
If there are enough enlistees to sustain the campaign for the whole year I’m fine with it.

Torsten: I’m assume no you’re going to act as the campaign leader?

BTW, I went ahead and change the name of this thread to differentiate it from the other 40 years of Leopard 2 thread. It will help me keep an eye on it too.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 02:54 PM UTC
Count me in. I don’t even have any in my stash, but have been looking for an excuse to buy a 2A4. That’s the one that has the vertical turret sides, ja?

Gaz
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 03:46 PM UTC
I’m in. I’ll recruit another builder also.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard,okay, but what would I have to do? Have finished more than 20 campaigns so far but never led one. So I'm a total newbie on this field. On the other hand I think, I won't have always the time to look after it .... But I'll be a strong supporter of it for sure!
And I've noticed the change of name of this thread. Thanks for that.

Gary, thanks for your feedback. Go out and get a kit. There are plenty of them out there. I'll build the 1/35 Revell 2A4 kit from a few years ago. As far as I remember there are versions for Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Greece and Poland in it.

Lee, also thanks for your support. Who's the other one? Your brother?

Okay, so far we are 5 guys who are interested in a Leopard Campaign. Not bad for this thread running only 24 hours so far. Anyone else?
agriamodeling
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamas, I have only a short press info from KMW in my latest Tankograd "Militärfahrzeug" and there is also no delivery date mentioned for Hungary. It just said, that in December 2018 a contract was signed for 44 new to produce Leopard 2A7+ and 12 used 2A4 from the Bundeswehr inventory. So your country is definatly a future user of the Leopard 2. But as you have some other Leopard 2 kits in your stash, you can build one from another country, can't you? I'll build a greek one ....

Tom, if it's no problem for our campaign admin I would say, let's give you guys a whole year from January to December 2020. I have only one other campaign running next year (65 Years Bundeswehr) but have plenty of other builds planned for 2020.

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Actually as I think the 2A4 versions will be Bundeswehr camo painted (although some says they will come from Austrian Army in single green) I planned to make the 2A4NL version anyway. As I have the Meng kit, I had to ask the NL sprue from Revell (and they DID send it free of charge!!!) this is the config I want to build. So yes, you can count on me with this Dutch version.

Tamás
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard,okay, but what would I have to do? Have finished more than 20 campaigns so far but never led one. So I'm a total newbie on this field. On the other hand I think, I won't have always the time to look after it .... But I'll be a strong supporter of it for sure!

And I've noticed the change of name of this thread. Thanks for that.

[edited for content]

Torsten, it's not very labor intensive. Basically, in the proposal stage you just keep a count of how many people say they will join the campaign and when you reach 10 you submit it so it can be entered into the system making it an official campaign.

Once it exists you do things like make rulings on whether a particular entry is acceptable (i.e. Tamas doing a Hungarian Leo-2 even though the Hungarian military hasn't officially taken possession of any yet). That one is pretty much a judgement call in my opinion. If the story of the Hungarian Armed Forces getting Leo-2s was just a story then maybe I'd say no; but there are multiple sources out there that confirm it. It's your circus...they're your monkeys so it's up to you.

You'll also need to come up with a campaign ribbon. You can make up your own or put it out there on your campaign message thread once the campaign is underway. There are lots of folks here who will help.

You don't have to check in every single day. Maybe once or twice a week. Just keep an eye on your Inbox too so if anyone messages you with questions it won't look like you've abandoned the campaign.

Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 02:19 AM UTC
I have a Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4 1/35 that is 90% built but no paint/decals/weathering on it yet. Would this be eligible?
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 02:32 AM UTC
That's a call for the campaign leader, Torsten, to make.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Torsten, it's not very labor intensive. Basically, in the proposal stage you just keep a count of how many people say they will join the campaign and when you reach 10 you submit it so it can be entered into the system making it an official campaign.

Once it exists you do things like make rulings on whether a particular entry is acceptable (i.e. Tamas doing a Hungarian Leo-2 even though the Hungarian military hasn't officially taken possession of any yet). That one is pretty much a judgement call in my opinion. If the story of the Hungarian Armed Forces getting Leo-2s was just a story then maybe I'd say no; but there are multiple sources out there that confirm it. It's your circus...they're your monkeys so it's up to you.

You'll also need to come up with a campaign ribbon. You can make up your own or put it out there on your campaign message thread once the campaign is underway. There are lots of folks here who will help.

You don't have to check in every single day. Maybe once or twice a week. Just keep an eye on your Inbox too so if anyone messages you with questions it won't look like you've abandoned the campaign.

That all doesn't sound too difficult to me, except that thing with the ribbon. Here I need help from others because I cannot design a ribbon. Have no tools to do that. But we can discuss that when this proposal reaches the phase of a campaign.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 04:31 AM UTC
Yeah, there's plenty of time for that!

PasiAhopelto
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 04:36 AM UTC
I'm in. Possibly with 2A4 or 2A6 in Finnish markings.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
Tamas, that's good to hear! Yes, Revell customer service is very good. On 2 occasions I needed new decal sets and got them also free of charge. For my ATF Dingo they sent me even 2 sets .... I have some nice memories of the dutch Leos. During my service time 1985-1989 we had them often in our barracks for refueling because our battalion was the support unit for all foreign units, mainly dutch and british units.
I also think, that the first 2A4 will arrive in Hungary in NATO Standard Camouflage. In Finland it was the same in 2002. Those guys took it very simple and just painted over the Iron Crosses on the turret with their national insignia and even used the original Bundeswehr number plate, just painting over the "Y" ....

.... and this is what they made of their Leos later ....

I took the photos during my first visit to the Finnish Tank Museum in Parola in July 2014.

Jeffrey, no, I'm sorry. You are too far with your build already. If you would have just begun with it and finished maybe the first 2-3 steps, than it would be okay. But not when you're nearly done with it. Hope you don't mind.

Have fun!
Torsten
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 04:56 AM UTC
Pasi, welcome aboard! All I can say about your plan is YESSSS! Do you have a conversion set for the turret and where did you get it? I ask because I also plan to build a finnish Leo one day.

So, we're already 6 guys here, 4 more to go ....
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hello, I'm in with a leopard 2 A6M CAN. Enjoy !
PasiAhopelto
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have a coversion set for the turret and where did you get it? I ask because I also plan to build a finnish Leo one day.

Actually, I don't have the kit yet Finnish Leopard is my preferred choice, but what I'll build depends on kit availability. 2A7 would also be interesting.
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Lee, also thanks for your support. Who's the other one? Your brother?

Okay, so far we are 5 guys who are interested in a Leopard Campaign. Not bad for this thread running only 24 hours so far. Anyone else?

The other would be my 72 year old Mom. Two years ago she bought her first model tank; a Meng Sherman Toon Tank. She wanted something bigger and with more detail. I gave her a Tamiya King Tiger, then ordered two Meng Leo2A4s and we are both working on them at the same time. She’s really into it.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 07:51 AM UTC
Alex, thanks for your support and welcome! Great choice!

Lee, that's really nice. So your mom also wants to build a Leo then? That's a great idea!
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 07:54 AM UTC
I might get in on the action in this one too once I get caught up on my other ones.

I've always been a fan of the Leo-2A4 style turret.

BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 08:00 AM UTC
Okay guys, before I lose the overview of the participants I better start a list. Let's see who we have already ....

Arnel (IronHide) - decision pending
Cam (tangodown) - Leopard 2A6CAN
(ComradeMP) - Leopard 2A5
Freddy (Spearhead01) - Strv 121 - FINISHED!
Gary (GazzaS) - Leopard 2A4 - FINISHED!
Jan (EHAM0624) - decision pending
Jesper (SGTJKJ) - decision pending
Johannan (sinsling) - Leopard 2A4MCAN
John (mechaman) - Leopard 2A4MCAN - FINISHED!
Jon (JonDicks) - decision pending
(Jupiterblitz) - decision pending
Kelly (Mrclark7) - Leopard 2A5 - FINISHED!
Kenneth (keo) - Leopard 2A4DK or 2A7DK
Nigel (kunjuro) - Leopard 2A4
Pasi (PasiAhopelto) - ItPsv 90 Leopard 2A4 Marksman
Richard (LikesTanks) - decision pending
Ryan (Tank1812) - Leopard 2A4
Tamas (agriamodeling) - Leopard 2A5PL - FINISHED!
Thomas (Frogath) - Strv 122
Todd (PanzerGeek) - Leopard 2A6CAN
Tom (barkingdigger) - Leopard 2A4NL
Torsten (BlackWidow) - Leopard 2A4GR - FINISHED!
Vasco (vascovaz) - decision pending

So, we're now 23 at the home of the Leopard!
Please don't forget to enlist if you like to participate. The more we are, the better!
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I might get in on the action in this one too once I get caught up on my other ones....

I'll remind you of that, once we've reached no more than 9 participants, Richard!
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 08:29 AM UTC
I'm sure you'll make your 10 easily! You won't need my help to get there!

_GOTOTOP