_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FT-17 question
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I am building the Meng FT-17 with the riveted turret. The color guide gives references to AK paints. Would anyone happen to know which Vallejo colors would be the equivalents? Does anyone know if the pine green/bluish green was used on any of these tanks? It seems to have appeared on the Char tanks. We’re these camos factory-painted hard-edged?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 09:27 AM UTC
i dont know about Vallejo colors but all the french camo's was hard edges
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The color guide gives references to AK paints. Would anyone happen to know which Vallejo colors would be the equivalents?

Would this help ?

http://www.ak-masters.com/app/pdf/RCEquivalenceDIG.pdf

(on a side note, this tank is called Renault FT, not FT-17 )

H.P.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The color guide gives references to AK paints. Would anyone happen to know which Vallejo colors would be the equivalents?

Would this help ?

http://www.ak-masters.com/app/pdf/RCEquivalenceDIG.pdf

(on a side note, this tank is called Renault FT, not FT 17 )

H.P.

That’s perfect, thank you H.P.! I didn’t realize it was referred to as Renault FT. For years I’ve been calling it the FT-17.

I used the wrong paint for the camo. It’s off to a respray next weekend
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 10:39 AM UTC
You're welcome. From S. Zaloga's The Renault FT Light Tank book:

There is some confusion as to the origin of the designation FT for this tank. It has been incorrectly described as an abbreviation for faible tonnage (light weight) or franchisseur de tranchées (trench crosser). In fact, however, it was simply a Renault product designation given to sequential order to all Renault automobiles and vehicles like AG (the Marne Taxi), EG (artillery tractor), FU (heavy lorry), etc. Officially, it became known as the char léger Renault FT modèle 1917, which has sometimes led to the unofficial abbreviation 'FT-17'.

H.P.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're welcome. From S. Zaloga's The Renault FT Light Tank book:

There is some confusion as to the origin of the designation FT for this tank. It has been incorrectly described as an abbreviation for faible tonnage (light weight) or franchisseur de tranchées (trench crosser). In fact, however, it was simply a Renault product designation given to sequential order to all Renault automobiles and vehicles like AG (the Marne Taxi), EG (artillery tractor), FU (heavy lorry), etc. Officially, it became known as the char léger Renault FT modèle 1917, which has sometimes led to the unofficial abbreviation 'FT-17'.

H.P.

That’s quite interesting, thank you for posting!
 _GOTOTOP