_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
WIP USMC M3A1 Stuart conversion from M3
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 03:05 AM UTC
Something I started last year when Tamiya released their new-tooled M3 Stuart Late Production kit. It's ages ahead of their old M3 Stuart kit.

I decided to convert it into the later production M3A1 Stuart, as it appeared with USMC units in the New Georgia campaign in 1943.

The biggest difference between the kit and the Marine M3A1 is the removal of the rivets and the modification of the rear engine deck. I also replaced the armored fuel covers with taller ones (spares from AFV Club). The turret ring rec'd upgrades too. I added my own mesh upgrades to the air intake and the rear overhang. I ended up buying the excellent DEF upgrade set for many smaller bits.

The photos I have show the front fenders removed. Rather than trying to carve off the fenders and smoothing out their attachment points to the upper nose plate, I replaced the entire nose plate with styrene with suitable bolts and rivets added. I added Archer casting numbers to bow MG housing too.

I added grousers to the tracks and replaced the idlers (from AFV Club). I opened up the periscopes (Tamiya still molds them shut) by carefully carving off the parts, adding a periscope head, and cover. I replaced the rear fenders with sheet brass. I omitted one grouser box and put some bullet holes in the other.

I just added the basecoat -- Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green over most of the upper surfaces (to represent USMC green). Some of the nooks and crannies were sprayed with olive drab -- to represent original factory paint. I used an FX texture frisket to add mottling to the upper surfaces. I'm going to darken it when I apply a satin clear coat and begin more weathering.

Questions & comments welcome.

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 03:40 AM UTC
Uh-rah, Jarhead armor rocks!
rfbaer
Visit this Community